View Full Version : 26 Yrs Old, have to love em!

chefchris401
10-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Found these redfins from 1984, bought all they had. They have this holographic metallic finish which is just amazing, unfortunetly the finish doesnt stand up to being 26 years old and easily flakes off. They look absolutely amazing in the water and fish seem to love them. The pics do not do them justice!

I bought five, lost one cause I dropped in the surf while attempting to change plugs, lost the second one to a very big fish that hit it like a freight train and went dtraight down to the bottom and rubbed thru the leader like it was nothing, the third is being repainted cause after one great day of fishing its now bone, the fourth is in the plug bag and the fifth is staying in its package.

I love redfins!!! If you dont have one in the bag your missing out.

tattoobob
10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Nice find, I love red fins loaded of corse

tlapinski
10-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I scored a handful of those G-finish redfins on eBay a few years back. They work really well in the spring when herring are around, but the finish comes off after a few fish, even worse than the chrome ones.

bloocrab
10-19-2010, 04:23 PM
....the third is being repainted cause after one great day of fishing its now bone, .....

Don't under-estimate the new 'bone' finish....if eyes were you, I'd fish the bone for awhile, :fishin: ...

joe the plumber
10-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Don't under-estimate the new 'bone' finish....if eyes were you, I'd fish the bone for awhile, :fishin: ...

I soooo agree......

ivanputski
10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
I have 6 brand new in box g finish from an old-time tackle hoarder I know... 4 silver, 2 yellow... its crazy to shine your light and see the plug 40 feet away in the water... bright as a street sign!... but the finish is so thick and brittle, it falls right off

chefchris401
10-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah I know bone slays! I'm responsible for the bone plastic north bars, that was my idea.

I repainted that one cause I already have a bunch of loaded bone redfins.

Bone is one of my top producing colors, ever. Always carry a few plugs in that color.

It's too bad the finish is so weak. It's a painted layer over the chrome wrap, so the paint flakes off the chrome, then the chrome flakes off the redfin, it's a shame, has to be one of the brightest and best looking finishes out there
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bloocrab
10-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Take the hooks and split rings off a new one, gob the wire ends with some KY jelly and dip it in some epoxy or resin. That may help keep the finish on

zimmy
10-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Tip- never loan a friend an old red fin. They are guaranteed to lose it. Guaranteed!Believe me, three times in a row, two different friends and only one of them is really a moron :)

DZ
10-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Aahh, the magic of a $7.00 dollar plug! The fininsh your fins have is called "G-finish"... wasn't the best lasting - came out when redfins went smooth but it was not in 1984. Probably more like the 1990s. I think that date you have is a copyright date. Fins in 1984 had a crinkled/rough finish.

Either way - great plug.

DZ

Vogt
10-20-2010, 10:52 AM
If I could have one plug it would be a redfin.

Typhoon
10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I like my whiskey like I like my women, 26 yrs old and full of coke.

(we all know you don't put coke in 25 yr old scotch)

StriperWriter
10-21-2010, 03:46 PM
awesome! Hey when you guys load redfins, how much shot, or BB's, do you put in them?

Pete F.
10-21-2010, 03:47 PM
awesome! Hey when you guys load redfins, how much shot, or BB's, do you put in them?
None, I use water
Go to the saltwater edge site and I think DZ did a how to for them.