View Full Version : Saltiga maintenance

zimmy
10-20-2010, 08:45 AM
This is my first year fishing a saltiga (z4500). Before I go messing with it, I would appreciate any advice as to what to do for maintenance. Best I just ship it into daiwa in the off season? What about day to day stuff? About the only thing I know is that it is no 706 so I don't wanna bugger it up. Thanks

by the way, it does get dunked and washed by surf at times

Slipknot
10-20-2010, 09:05 AM
If mine gets dunked and very wet, I rinse it with fresh water when i get home and maybe spray some wd40 on it too.

I have not sent either of mine in for service yet, nothing wrong with them.

I plan to send in my 6000gt this year though since I've fished it for 6 years or so and only oiled the line roller. Almost never rinse it since it gets most of it's use at the canal.

Andy Pon
10-20-2010, 12:16 PM
i recently got one of these too havent used enough to service yet. i've heard they go for 5 years without it.

Mike P
10-20-2010, 01:52 PM
I'd either take it to Bucko's, or send it to Daiwa for service--in about 2015 :rotf2:

zimmy
10-20-2010, 02:07 PM
I bought it used from someone who has frequented the site in the past. It was hardly used as far as I can tell, so I think I will continue to rinse and fish for a few more years. Maybe change the drag washers at some point. Problem with buying the 4500 is that I now am having trouble resisting getting rid of my e-pro and buying a 6500. Hopefully, when my handle upgrade shows up this week that will solve take care of that urge for awhile.

Mike P
10-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I bought it used from someone who has frequented the site in the past. It was hardly used as far as I can tell, so I think I will continue to rinse and fish for a few more years. Maybe change the drag washers at some point. Problem with buying the 4500 is that I now am having trouble resisting getting rid of my e-pro and buying a 6500. Hopefully, when my handle upgrade shows up this week that will solve take care of that urge for awhile.

The only 6500 size Saltiga you can get in the US market is the Dogfight. Both the Z and GT have the 6000 size as their biggest.

With the exchange rate being what it is, it'll cost you more to get one of the other 6500 models from Japan or Australia than it will to buy a new 6000-Z or 6000 GT here.

I was half-joking about not getting it serviced for another 5 years. The only routine maintenence it needs is oiling the line roller bearing, but if it's getting dunked, you don't know what kind of shape the seals are in--especially if the prior owner rarely used it. Seals don't last forever.

zimmy
10-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Mike, you are right. I will probably send it in over the winter just to be safe. Also, 6000 gt is what i think I would want, but I don't get to the canal enough to justify it at this point. Emblem pro is nice anyway, minus the crappy handle and pushing that dang button. The saltiga's though are like a finely tuned machine.