View Full Version : Give me a break

ecduzitgood
10-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Granted it's the pressure side but $282.00 for a power steering hose that is maybe 20"- 24" long; you've got to be kidding me. It's a 97 Ford Explorer not a Bentley, it's just a :fury: hydraulic hose. I am trying to find a way around this and am open to suggestions...HELP. I think this is almost as outrageous as 4.6 million for a f-in 250' bridge for horses. Mondays suck:fury::fury::fury::wall::fury::fury::wall:

UserRemoved1
10-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Got the same thing last week. $200 lower radiator hose. plus labor :smash:

ecduzitgood
10-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I would have told them where they stick their $200 radiator hose. Dealers SUCK!!!!:fury::fury::fury::fury:

UserRemoved1
10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Dealer wanted more this was my mechanic. Dealer only item. :smash:

ecduzitgood
10-25-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't know what can be done, but this BS is not right. I had to replace all my brake lines because of rust related failure and can't understand why they don't use stainless steel for brake lines. I had to replace the rack and pinion because a rusted(failed) line, and my power steering hose because of a rust caused failure, the shackles for the rear leaf springs because they rusted out and collapsed.With the price of new vehicles being so high I can't understand why the manufactures don't use stainless steel; at least the brake lines should be stainless. All this work has been fun lying on my back in the driveway:wall: while my live eels are slowly dying off because I can't get out and have had them for over a week.

tysdad115
10-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I would have told them where they stick their $200 radiator hose. Dealers SUCK!!!!:fury::fury::fury::fury:

The dealer didn't design the vehicle,or pick the metal used in manufacture. We don't set the prices of parts, these are manufacturer based pricing. You think we would make it so the front of a car needs to come apart to change a damn hose? You are lucky to be able to lay on the driveway and fix it yourself, alot of people can't properly inflate tires. I'm sure you wash the undercarriage on a regular basis to remove the salt......right?? Besides anything with a blue oval on the grill is already halfway to the graveyard! :rotf2: Get a GMC!

UserRemoved1
10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
ha my van is a gmc. 50k miles and 5 years old.

tysdad115
10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
ha my van is a gmc. 50k miles and 5 years old.

Gas or diesel? Rear wheel drive or All wheel drive? $200.00 for just a hose is out of this world! I would imagine there's something else...I show lower hose at $92.76 suggested retail for lower hose 05 Savana RWD 5.3 litre.

UserRemoved1
10-25-2010, 02:14 PM
diesel

they needed the vin to order it...took 2 weeks. 2006 3500 g series 6.6L duramax.

Never did find any aftermarket online, I looked too.

tysdad115
10-25-2010, 02:23 PM
diesel

they needed the vin to order it...took 2 weeks. 2006 3500 g series 6.6L duramax.

Never did find any aftermarket online, I looked too.

My list price $100.71 for lower hose.(That has another hose molded into it) Those su*k to change too...there is nothing user friendly about a 6.6 in a van chassis.

ecduzitgood
10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
The dealer didn't design the vehicle,or pick the metal used in manufacture. We don't set the prices of parts, these are manufacturer based pricing. You think we would make it so the front of a car needs to come apart to change a damn hose? You are lucky to be able to lay on the driveway and fix it yourself, alot of people can't properly inflate tires. I'm sure you wash the undercarriage on a regular basis to remove the salt......right?? Besides anything with a blue oval on the grill is already halfway to the graveyard! :rotf2: Get a GMC!
I have never taken this vehicle or the 87 Oldsmobile (which also had the brake lines fail because of rust which I also replaced all of the lines) on the beach. Also now that I have replaced my wheel bearings the ABS light won't reset (because I had to unplug the sensor) so I guess I will have to get some Vaseline and go pay to have it reset:wall:, it's BS that the system(idiot light) won't reset after 150 miles. The way they manufacture cars now along with the price they charge to purchase them, they should expect people to have them over 10 years or at least expect that many vehicles will/may be on the road for more than 10 years and design them accordingly with brake lines and power steering lines that won't rust out. I think the root of my problem is the time I spent parking it on the lawn over night over the years. I don't remember my 69 Eldorado having half the rust issues this POS is giving me.

Heres another one for you 2002 Explorer my brother in law has needs a new intake gasket and it is going to cost him at least $1500 up to $3000. I have done intake gaskets in the past and think designing a vehicle that requires that much labor for an intake gasket is asinine. They say they don't build them like they used to, I say they build them to generate as much money as possible whether it be through repair cost or making the repairs so costly that the vehicles should be considered disposable.

How about my sister who had a Jeep Cherokee and needed a new roll pin for the drivers door hinge, I told her to go to the dealer and get the pin stating it would probably cost $8-$12 and worst case scenario she would have to buy the whole hinge. Well she had them fix it for her and told me they charged her close to $200. I went through the roof. I finally ended up with the General manager of the dealership and explained that they charged her for a new hinge and all they did was replace the roll pin. He said that I was mistaken so I brought him out to the vehicle and showed him that the hinge was not replaced (original/factory weld) and then took the pin out and reinstalled it in under 5 mins. because of my years doing auto body he could not argue that I was right and he asked me what I thought was fair. I told him $15 for the roll pin and to teach my sister a lesson (because she had them do it) $30 for labor, he agreed that $45 was fair.

Then the time Pep boys wanted to charge my brother in law $78 for diagnostic services. I brought the Rodeo to them telling them it needs a new rear main seal and left it there. It was when my brother in law called me to let me know how they made out with it, he said they need a special tool and told him to bring it to the dealer and he paid the $78. NO F-IN Way! I stormed into pep boys and asked them why he had to pay for a diagnosis when I told them exactly what the problem was and their diagnostic service verified that was the problem. They agreed and refunded his money.
I probably should have used a shop name that I used to work for and got the 30 percent discount, but being an honest moron I don't lie, cheat, or steal:wall:.