View Full Version : Did anyone get the number of that Freighter?

FishermanTim
10-27-2010, 10:40 AM
I was fishing the east end last night while a cargo freighter was going thru. I had a fish on, and as I fought the fish the draft from the ship drew the water from thigh deep to almost ankle deep in seconds.
THEN the return surge went from ankle deep to almost 8 feet in just as many seconds!
I had just enough time to turn and see the wall of water running along the shore and into my face!
Thank God for neoprene waders, as they kept me bobbing on the surface for the 5 or so seconds it took for the water to pass.
I finished the night a little damp, but drained.
What got me was that I was facing out from shore, expecting the water to return from the same direction it had drawn to.
WRONG! It drew out from shore but ran back in ALONG the shore, and with no breaking waves on the shore it was relatively quiet.
Had I not turned to my left and prepared for impact, I would have probably been knocked over and lost my rod in the tempest.

All in all, though, it was a good night!

blondterror
10-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Sooo the big question remains... did you land the fish after the dunking?

piemma
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
I was fishing the east end last night while a cargo freighter was going thru. I had a fish on, and as I fought the fish the draft from the ship drew the water from thigh deep to almost ankle deep in seconds.
THEN the return surge went from ankle deep to almost 8 feet in just as many seconds!
I had just enough time to turn and see the wall of water running along the shore and into my face!
Thank God for neoprene waders, as they kept me bobbing on the surface for the 5 or so seconds it took for the water to pass.
I finished the night a little damp, but drained.
What got me was that I was facing out from shore, expecting the water to return from the same direction it had drawn to.
WRONG! It drew out from shore but ran back in ALONG the shore, and with no breaking waves on the shore it was relatively quiet.
Had I not turned to my left and prepared for impact, I would have probably been knocked over and lost my rod in the tempest.

All in all, though, it was a good night!

...and was it a good fish?

FishermanTim
10-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Yes, I landed the fish, and it was a keeper.
It wasn't a monster, but then at that point I wouldn't want a monster trying to pull me out to sea!

fishbones
10-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Was it the Cape side or the Mainland side? What were you catching them on? What stage of the tide? Also, please post any other pertinent information for all of us.:smash:

FishermanTim
10-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I caught them on lures, in the water, at night, and the tide was changing.

Now, can we get back to the TOPIC at hand, or are we going to waste more time on spot-burning panty-waist rhetoric?

It troubles me that there's more interest in the fishing conditions than the fact that someone could've gotten hurt in.

fishbones
10-27-2010, 01:24 PM
I caught them on lures, in the water, at night, and the tide was changing.

Now, can we get back to the TOPIC at hand, or are we going to waste more time on spot-burning panty-waist rhetoric?

It troubles me that there's more interest in the fishing conditions than the fact that someone could've gotten hurt in.

But you didn't get hurt. You posted a valuable lesson about being aware of the conditions you're fishing in and about how things can change and put you in danger quickly.

You could have done it without mentioning that you were catching fish at a specific location, no? Sorry if I struck a nerve. It was what I was trying to do.

PRBuzz
10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
So it acted similar to a tsunami?

numbskull
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
You could have done it without mentioning that you were catching fish at a specific location, no? Sorry if I struck a nerve. It was what I was trying to do.

How old are you?

agsurfr
10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
How old are you?

If the response includes a 1/2 year then they're lying. ie 36-1/2 years old

fishbones
10-27-2010, 03:28 PM
How old are you?

Why would you ask that? If you need to know, you can click on my username, go to my page and find out.

Sea Dangles
10-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I think the implication is you are acting childish.

fishbones
10-27-2010, 03:45 PM
I think the implication is you are acting childish.

It's not an act.:)

And before anyone else gets riled up, it was a typo. I "wasn't" trying to strike a nerve. I wrote "was" by mistake. I was just busting chops based on the thread last week about the canal spot burning.

Swimmer
10-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Water displacemnt hulls do what you described. They are really unique in how these hulls push the water away from the ships hull before the ship traverses the area of water directly in from of the ship. First time it happened to me I thought God pulled the plug on me.

This stuff happens to every one of us who regularly fish the ditch. We are all happy you are O.K. But nonetheless, we all are just a little inured to these things.