View Full Version : More on LED's

Mr. Sandman
10-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Over the season I have installed and tested a bunch of different LED fixtures as well as tried several of the replacement bulbs.

I don't know if you have done the same but for those who have not, maybe someone can learn something from my experiences.

Basically, I ordered one of each type and size of bulb and tested them out to see what I think, then if I liked them I ordered the full amount I needed.

I tried the real expensive ones sold at marine distributed as well as the lest expensive ones I could find on the net.

Bottom line...if your fixtures are in good shape (ie no corrosion issues) I would replace the bulb with the least expensive LED replacement. (about $8-11) I have a lot of G4 sockets (twin wire prongs) and I was able to replace the small halogen bulbs with a LED array. The round ones went in the ceiling fixtures and work GREAT!! They don't burn any power and do not get hot and are as bright or brighter than halogens. The other interior dome lights I also replaced with a barrel type G4 LED bulb. I was able to squeeze in the larger size in the smaller domes by slightly trimming the prongs. These are brighter than the original..again 1/10 the power drain and NO HEAT!
I looked into replacing stern and bow light bulbs as well and that is doable but you have to be careful. You need a USCG approved bulb that can be seen out 2 + miles. These LED's are out there but are tricky to find and are more expensive $30+ I bought the bulbs and they work but I ended up replacing the entire unit with an approved LED light from Attwood. This was only slightly more than the bulb itself (38 bucks each).

I have now just about replaced all the lights on the boat with LED' and added a a few other strips in the cockpit.

IMO this is a good ideal. The standard marine dome lights are a waste of power, can kill any battery if left over night, get WAY too hot for a marine application, have a very short lifespan and are not all that cheap. LED's are way more efficient at providing light and if you leave a light on it is no biggy, they last much longer and don't require much in the way of power.

I still have a few bulbs to replace (the red one over the console) , a couple others but for the most part most of my lighting is now LED.

A good source for LED replacement lights:
Defender
Amazon
LED wholesalers

a few leftovers and spare LEDs...

InTheHole
10-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info, this is one of my winter projects. I think I am going to install a couple of strips down in the engine spaces also.

beamie
10-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Appreciate the info Sandman, Thanks!!

Van
10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I got a set of 4 of these (seasense) and ran them under the gunnels.
I also bought a bulb style for the cabin.
Like the one you showed. Very nice....

Easy job and they are ""awesome"" for night fishing.
(Best day i had this fall)

One more on the stern light and that does it.

Next year thinking of a bow mount spot light too :uhuh:
Not sure how to make that work (YET).....:uhuh:
As I intend to take more night excursions.

Moses
04-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Curious, any close up pics of how these are actually mounted/wired you can share? Thanks.

jasonsnova
04-28-2012, 08:53 AM
led's are great. i installed some cheap ebay strip lights under my gunnels and they light up the entire deck with near zere battery drain i also just installed a led spreader light again....awesome. i dont have as many lights in my small walkaround as sandman but i've been putting them where i can.

Van
04-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Curious, any close up pics of how these are actually mounted/wired you can share? Thanks.

I'll see what I can do. I put the finishing touches on this weekend, the plug is in and I'm ready to float. I'll get back to ya !

bobber
05-03-2012, 12:11 AM
I got red strip lights for under gunnels, and a 3 foot light bar that'll go on the crossbar of my handrail around the console...... can't wait to gt out there with all the new tooys!!

Mr. Sandman
09-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I think I finished with the LED expansion. (for now) I hooked up 4 underwater leds (Blue) that each have 8 lights and draw 2.5 amps for a total of 10 amps. They are very bright ...almost too bright. I want to re-wire them so I can split the lights so I can run just two for when I want to keep the drain low.

Not the greatest pic I know...cell phone at night

MakoMike
09-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I also bought a bulb style for the cabin.

One more on the stern light and that does it.

Next year thinking of a bow mount spot light too :uhuh:
Not sure how to make that work (YET).....:uhuh:
As I intend to take more night excursions.

Using a spot light will destroy your night vision. IMHO you're better off not having one on board, lest you be tempted to use it.

Mr. Sandman
09-09-2012, 01:24 PM
what about boats with a headlights, like cars. I rarely use a spot light but I know I am running over lobster trap buoys that I might be able to avoid if I could see them. It would be nice to see what is on the water at night. Radar really doesn't do a good job.

OT and speaking of the new HD radar, I got to see / use it first hand. It is really great but it is so good that I there is a LOT of targets on the screen It will take me a while to get use to that and to learn which are the ones I need to watch for.

Van
09-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Using a spot light will destroy your night vision. IMHO you're better off not having one on board, lest you be tempted to use it.

Yea but the floating crap in Bahstan Habba will destroy your lower unit.

I do use it almost always.....

I turn it on for a few seconds at a time, if I hold it way over my head so it does not glare on the bow it is fine. I need one with a more focused beam, or just mount it so it does not shine on the cabin.
I have not bothered looking into it, been too busy fishing....

I still need to take some pics, I will try to remember.,

smac
09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi Jim,
Great info! Did you already swap out your nav lights for LEDs ? I need to get some sealed LED nav lights for my boat.

Scott

nightfighter
03-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Bump for spring project list

piemma
03-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Run on Narr Bay with no spotlight all summer. The only thing I ever hit was a 4X4 is Grennwich Bay one morning about 3 years ago. No damage. I like to stay stealth when I'm out at night and have been known to run "with he who cannot be mentioned" all the way to Gould Island with no lights at 2:00 AM

Van
04-01-2013, 04:48 PM

Getting some pics still on my to-do list.

LEDs under the gunnels and one in the cabin.

Mr. Sandman
04-01-2013, 06:37 PM
I have been FULL LED now some lights have been in use for a couple seasons some are new.

LED's are the ideal light for boats...why? They have very low current demands, produce a bright light, if the current fluctuates they still work fine and they do not get hot.. I can tell you any wiring you have now for incandescent is overkill for LED's. Also they are not effected from vibration. They really are ideal for boats.

The only issue I have had with them was with the under the gunnel. I had installed early strip lights that were 1' long and had a load of connections. I sealed the connections but eventually salt water got to them. I replaced the entire mess with a continuous string light that was 16' long. I took the remaining working lights and installed them in the cabin space in cubby's for indirect lighting.
You will reduce your current drain by a factor of 10 and have more lights. I think every new builder now only uses LED's.

I like lights on at the dock and while at anchor. While running it is dark (except for the underwater lights and the running lights)

Below are a couple of real bad photos taken with a cell phone at night. The cockpit has more subtle lighting than the photo

PRBuzz
04-03-2013, 07:13 PM
OK so all this talk stimulated me to add LED's. I went with red ones. For lighting the deck in general I went with some standard trailer lights, $11 each ( AutoSmart KL-35100RK Red Oval Sealed LED Turn Signal and Parking Light Kit with Light, Grommet and Plug : Amazon.com : Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HAEFS2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) ), and for above the CC went with a switchable/rotatable version, $20 ( Amazon.com: LED Bar Light - Pivoting, Water resistant 12 Volt DC LED courtesy convenience lamp, 6" with on/off switch: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051BUE90/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) ).

Not yet mounted but just testing positions and brightness.

thefishingfreak
04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Mount them so they can't be mistaken for red nav lights
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

likwid
04-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Mount them so they can't be mistaken for red nav lights

Under the gunnels facing down.
Used tractor trailer LED markers mounted on brackets that face straight down onto the deck, work great.

Moses
04-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Getting some pics still on my to-do list.

LEDs under the gunnels and one in the cabin.

Thanks for not forgetting about me.:uhuh:

Moses
04-04-2013, 07:26 AM
OK so all this talk stimulated me to add LED's. I went with red ones.

Not yet mounted but just testing positions and brightness.

Phil - I'll have to visit to see exactly how these came out and were installed/wired. On my list too within the coming weeks.

thefishingfreak
04-04-2013, 07:38 AM
I have these little motorcycle accent lights from ebay. they come in a pack of 5 for like 15 bucks. Mounted on a small pod of 5 leds with 3m sticky backed tape and waterproof.
I have a set of reds near the helm, and a set of whites under the gunnels on separate switches.

A bunch of leds in the engine room, all of the 12v lighting in the cabin and a few other random accent lights up in the top canopy.

I Also have 3 - 12v super bright 18 watt led waterproof spreaders from ebay as well. those were around 30 bucks each.

I Also have 2 -12v 100watt quartz halogens for netting at night.

I Also have 2 -250watt halogen 110 volt spreaders for lighting while I'm on shore power.

I Also have a 400 watt metal halide I can run of the generator or the inverter for when I want to signal the space station.

PRBuzz
04-04-2013, 07:43 AM
I have these little motorcycle accent lights from ebay. they come in a pack of 5 for like 15 bucks. Mounted on a small pod of 5 leds with 3m sticky backed tape and waterproof.
I have a set of reds near the helm, and a set of whites under the gunnels on separate switches.

A bunch of leds in the engine room, all of the 12v lighting in the cabin and a few other random accent lights up in the top canopy.

I Also have 3 - 12v super bright 18 watt led waterproof spreaders from ebay as well. those were around 30 bucks each.

I Also have 2 -12v 100watt quartz halogens for netting at night.

I Also have 2 -250watt halogen 110 volt spreaders for lighting while I'm on shore power.

I Also have a 400 watt metal halide I can run of the generator or the inverter for when I want to signal the space station.

The Fishbucket outshines the sun! :)

PRBuzz
04-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Phil - I'll have to visit to see exactly how these came out and were installed/wired. On my list too within the coming weeks.

Mike come on over, all wired. I even did a strip for underwater, found a trailer LED bar in the basement I wasn't using!