View Full Version : Painting a VS

redlite
10-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Gotta another VS comin my way, but I was thinkin I'd like to give it a "custom" piant job.
Was thinkin of takin a silver 200 and spray paintin it perky pink.
Would make it a one of a kind so I can distinguish mine from others.
Will the paint hold or void any type of warranty?

Headhunter
10-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Mine all look like war dogs, why paint em you know your just gonna beat the snot out of them anyway. LOL

Back Beach
10-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Pink would no doubt match your socks and underwear.

Thumper
10-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Pink would no doubt match your socks and underwear.

I'm not even gonna ask hahaha...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Dangles
10-29-2010, 12:36 PM
The red and green Christmas edition was pretty cool a few years back.

ProfessorM
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
If you are being serious:screwy: paint will have a tough time sticking to anodizing, very slippery. I'm sure there is probably something out there that will stick but I have no knowledge of it.

falkners
10-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Powder paint will work and is extremely durable. A company I used to work for powder coated anodized aluminum sailboat masts. The drawback is it creates somewhat of a thick coat compared to conventional spray paints and has to be baked to cure. Also some people use Imron for the same purpose after anodizing on sailboat spars.

ProfessorM
10-29-2010, 01:19 PM
yeah that will work. Imron, Good call. I forgot about that product. Bet it is expensive and to do a reel. We have it done to some of the aluminum stuff we make that gets thrown in the ocean, although I am not sure if it was anodized first or done as an alternative to anodizing, not my neck of the company, but I can find out for you Mike if for some reason you really want to do this. I'd say once you find out how expensive it is to powdercoat or Imron something you will change your mind.

Rockport24
10-29-2010, 01:21 PM
you should also paint flames on it!

Swimmer
10-29-2010, 01:22 PM
There is a company on Spring Street in East Bridgewater that anodizes metal. Just a thought. How many of those weekly prize rod and reels did you tade for the new VS?

tlapinski
10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Why not just drop a tab of acid before each outing so you get tthe effect of it being different colors. I'm sure no one will even notice the change in your personality... :jump1:

Fishoholic
10-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Not sure how well the anodizing would take the paint. May have to etch it first. Honestly I'd just have it re-anodized. That way you don't have to worry about excess getting in tight tolerance areas.

The Iceman 6
10-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Why not just drop a tab of acid before each outing so you get tthe effect of it being different colors. I'm sure no one will even notice the change in your personality... :jump1:

Good one TLAP

MAKAI
10-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I dare you to pink it up.

Btw what's the difference between pink and purple ?

The grip

Fishoholic
10-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Nationality ;)

nightfighter
10-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Save the effort, money and time. Everything I've had that was powdercoated and lived in the elements eventually had the paint crack and come off. Look at the back hinges on contractors work trucks. Get some Sharpies. Don't know if they come in pink.....

I still need a Cabo 40 from your collection.....

chefchris401
10-29-2010, 04:39 PM
If you want a custom colored reel get a zee.

I asked Craig from vs if they could do a custom color and they said no, also he advised against any type of coating do to the close tolerances of the reel.

If you want a custom vs mix and match handles, spools, rotor cup, etc.

A lot guys go that route, also helps against theft!

Redsoxticket
10-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Nickel plate to create a porous surface then powder coat

Sea Dangles
10-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Engraving is a sweet option,or used to be.Iron Mike has a number of beauties with striped bass as well as mermaids on different models.Probably no longer available now that they are made overseas.There are artisans who engrave guns that would be candidates but I think it gets sealed afterwards with something they might not have.Some guy in CT did it years ago.My first vs was a 200 and I had my first initial and last name put on it,probably a good theft deterrent also.Mixing black and gold models can look like a fancy Penn too, big pimp style.
I know folks have a beef with reels made overseas,but in the case of VS,I understand the returns for failure have decreased substantially.Although all of my vs are made in USA,I feel it is now a smoother reel to crank.I did smoke one on a tuna this year that was who knows how big.But the previous day I brought a 180# home for dinner with about 27 pounds of drag.

Jenn
10-30-2010, 08:11 AM
good match?

Caliente Ladie's Pink Fishing Rods (http://www.stingraytackle.com/stingraycalienteladieshighperformancefishingrods.a spx)

:uhuh:

piemma
10-31-2010, 02:36 AM
Mikey, sometimes you just give me a friggin' headache!:smash:

O.D. Mike
10-31-2010, 07:22 AM
I dare you to pink it up.

The grip

:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

Raven
10-31-2010, 08:01 AM

thats like comparing tequilla to boones farm wine

eat shrooms before you go.... and then you'll know