View Full Version : Planning Your Off Season yet??

BigFish
10-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Any of you guys have designs on what you might be building over the winter??? I have been thinking about it myself!!:think:

I want to do some Conrad Sr.'s, maybe some Pikies? I am also going do be doing some Creek Chub copies......the Wiggler swimmers, a Wag-Tail swimmer and a 2608 jointed Pikie!

Swimmer
10-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Yes.

Sgt Striper
10-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Any of you guys have designs on what you might be building over the winter??? I have been thinking about it myself!!:think:

I want to do some Conrad Sr.'s, maybe some Pikies? I am also going do be doing some Creek Chub copies......the Wiggler swimmers, a Wag-Tail swimmer and a 2608 jointed Pikie!

What about the NIKE's??:spin::spin:

Eric Roach
10-31-2010, 10:09 PM
My goal is to consistently reproduce (via duplication) an 8" waking needle design that proved very effective this fall. Hand-turning this needle again & again allowed me to discover some important nuances, but once I got the design down it became tedious towards the end to reproduce it exactly. I'd also like to create and duplicate some scaled versions of this needle.

I want to mess with some musky-style lipless jerkbaits.

Also, I have a Ranger-ripoff design I want to explore (including a version covered with tin).

Before all that though, I need to finish the peg board, cabinetry and flooring in the wood shop. I also have to install a sink and ventilation in the new sealing/painting/smelting room. Finally, I have to complete the rod building room, which will double as the plug finishing room with humidity and dust controls.

Man, I better get to work...

Ryan560
11-01-2010, 04:58 AM
I'm definitely gonna try some of the masterlures that numbskull posted, and maybe some gibbs gts. But first off I'm going to make a duplicator so I can turn out blanks quicker, takes me 15 min. to duplicate one of my atom 40's now....

Rockfish9
11-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I've allready completed a bunch of stuff left from last April, Conrads, slopeheads for the spring... and a large run of straight and jointed pikies for a swap...

I'll be starting some predators this week and get to work on a batch of the Pinkney inspired sand eels that worked so well the past two seasons...

after that... want to work on a lipless,jonted eel patteren of my double "J"... as well as some trade goodies for plugfest...

The Dad Fisherman
11-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Want to finish up some jitterbugs I was messing with last year. May give Dahtah Hell a shot this off season too......

the greek
11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I have been playing around with a CCBC profile myself. The 4500 Wiggle Wizard. I really like the shape and I just upsized it a bit to fit my needs. I want to try and make some smaller ones also.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac167/alphabaits/winterwood002.jpg

Would like to try a Bass-O-Reno style plug also. I want to build a bunch of handcarveds and maybe a couple more jointed swimbaits for plugfest

chefchris401
11-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Build some new designed needles.

Old school Gibbs 3 hook darter replication for dz

Large predator

Some nikes

Load and repaint a mess of redfins

Build plugs and actually go to plugfest! This will be my third year I will attempt to go!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

wrikerjr
11-02-2010, 08:25 AM
see what my friends want me to make and take it from there. I don't start building all that seriously till January, November in NJ is phenominal and December can be great as well. January its off to the cold garage.

Chunkah
11-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Poppers & Needles are in the works; I'd like to get them 100% by February so I can start working on a darter. I've also got to spend some time learning my way around my (never used) airbrush.

O.D. Mike
11-04-2010, 07:55 AM

I plan on cleaning out the shop and moving the tools around to get better flow. Separate the painting from the turning to keep dust levels down. Also need to make wood storage for blanks and primed blanks.

After meeting Don and Mike from afterhours and Stifftip at the canal this season, I plan on re-designing some lures specifically for the canal. Canal specials, swimmers and needles.

Had the pleasure of talking to Slipknot about pencil poppers and I can't wait for that build!

Plan on attempting a darter or making a modified bottle swimmer. The stories of these plugs and the fish they catch are the reason I'm thinking of building some!

Learned a lot this season, made some new friends from this site, had fun learning the canal and fine tuning lures. Learned painting and sealing techniques from forum members. What a difference that made!

Can't wait for Plugfest, now that I know what its all about! Larry, that's where I met you for the first time, hope you will be there next year!

Thanks,
Mike