View Full Version : MUMBAI ON $200 MILLION A DAY

UserRemoved1
11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
US to spend $200 mn a day on Obama's Mumbai visit (http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/us-to-spend-200-mn-a-day-on-obama-s-mumbai-visit-64106)

Guy should write a %$%$%$%$ing fodors book :smash:

likwid
11-02-2010, 07:35 PM
pssst

thats in indian rupees :rotf2:

New Delhi TV?
Gonna go work in a call center?
Or you just looking for cheap wood turning labor? :hihi:

scottw
11-02-2010, 08:08 PM
pssst

thats in indian rupees :rotf2:

? :hihi:

psssssssssst....

read the article...

US to spend $200 mn a day on Obama's Mumbai visitPress Trust of India, Updated: November 02, 2010 21:07 IST

Mumbai: The US would be spending a whopping $200 million (Rs. 900 crore approx) per day

GattaFish
11-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Jesus,,, did they clean up that town with that much $$$$ ,,, They must have had everyone on the the payroll......

Either that or they ate a whole lot of curry....:uhuh:

UserRemoved1
11-03-2010, 03:32 AM
So the guy spent a BILLION %$%$%$%$ing dollars to go to India.

Hey it's only more taxes next year. :smash:

Someday the American people are going to wake up and realize what an A$$HAT this guy is. Unfortunately it will be 4 years too late.

Raven
11-03-2010, 07:14 AM
they could just all split and leave him there.

buckman
11-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Have you guys watched Deadliest Roads with the truckers? Hard to believe such a backwards country has nukes.

JohnR
11-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Have you guys watched Deadliest Roads with the truckers? Hard to believe such a backwards country has nukes.

India doesn't worry me as much as Pakistan does. India wants to be (is) a global player in trade, technology, and bettering the lives of their population.

Pakistan wants to blow up India. Half the problems we have in AFG are related to Pakistan wanting defense depth should it go to war with India.

But consider this WRT India, the largest democracy in the world in a country with 1.2 billion people - many speaking English - their top 10% brightest people equals about 1/3rd of our total population.

buckman
11-03-2010, 09:21 AM
India doesn't worry me as much as Pakistan does. India wants to be (is) a global player in trade, technology, and bettering the lives of their population.

Pakistan wants to blow up India. Half the problems we have in AFG are related to Pakistan wanting defense depth should it go to war with India.

But consider this WRT India, the largest democracy in the world in a country with 1.2 billion people - many speaking English - their top 10% brightest people equals about 1/3rd of our total population.

And a country we need, however with all those smart people over there,can't they come up with some road rules :chased:

JohnR
11-03-2010, 09:58 AM
And a country we need, however with all those smart people over there,can't they come up with some road rules :chased:

What - you want to introduce extra regulation? :rotf2:

And yes, I have seen IRT - India. And yes, there is a place where more regulation is a good thing :tooth:

GattaFish
11-03-2010, 03:18 PM
John,,, Your right,, India is not a bad place at all,,, Pakistan scares me too,,,, The nukes,,, that is just the icing on the cake,,,,

scottw
11-04-2010, 07:00 AM
back to the topic...if a Republican President was to embark on a trip like this particularly given the current circumstance at home...I'd be quite livid...this is reportedly the most expensive and lavish trip ever by a President...which seems to be the way that Obama likes to do EVERYTHING!!!!!.....

where are the greenies up in arms over the need for 40 aircraft to chauffer this clown around the planet ? unnecessarily spewing pollutants and CO2...oh that's right CO2 is a pollutant now...

UserRemoved1
11-04-2010, 02:39 PM
You want lavish and expensive?

34 warships sent from US for Obama visit (http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/34-warships-sent-from-us-for-obama-visit-64459)

THIS GUY IS OFF HIS %$%$%$%$IN ROCKER :smash:

$200million a day? sure. 34 warships alone? GET THIS %$%$%$%$ING ASSCLOWN OUT OF OFFICE. My 7 year old has more sense than this %$%$%$%$

UserRemoved1
11-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm all for protecting the president but 34 warships? Is this guy for real? Who the hell authorizes spending for these trips

RIJIMMY
11-04-2010, 03:24 PM
is irony the right word to use to describe 34 warships to protect......a nobel peace prize winner?

UserRemoved1
11-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Coconuts removed from trees in preparation for Barack Obama's India trip - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/8109295/Coconuts-removed-from-trees-in-preparation-for-Barack-Obamas-India-trip.html)

UserRemoved1
11-04-2010, 03:45 PM
"Every year in India people are injured or even killed by falling coconuts."

UserRemoved1
11-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Claim that Barack Obama's India visit will cost $200m a day is 'wildly inflated' | World news | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/04/barack-obama-india-visit-cost-claim)

But 34 there aren't 34 warships in Afghanistan.... spin control.....

JohnR
11-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd be SHOCKED if it was 34 warships as that is probably close to half of all of our deployed warships.

UserRemoved1
11-04-2010, 05:02 PM
WELL THEN THERE'S THE 1KM ABOVE GROUND TUNNEL...

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_tunnel-for-obama-near-mani-bhavan_1461946

All to visit a museum. WTF.

scottw
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
WELL THEN THERE'S THE 1KM ABOVE GROUND TUNNEL...

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_tunnel-for-obama-near-mani-bhavan_1461946

All to visit a museum. WTF.

and the little children to spread rose petals at his feet as he strolls along sniffing the air :rotf2: :yak6:

JohnnyD
11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
I'll just leave this here...

The Factcheck.org website pointed out that the US war in Afghanistan, which involves 100,000 troops, costs about $190m a day.

But that did not stop some Republicans, conservative talkshows and Fox News from seizing on the report and accusing the president of wasting government funds in tough economic times.

scottw
11-04-2010, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=JohnnyD;808009]fighting a war is almost exactly the same thing as sight seeing with the family on vacation and just as expensive for some apparently...uh..I mean.. travelling on an important business trip...good thing we have factcheck.org to put everything in perspective...:rotf2:

spence
11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
This thread sucks.

Obama isn't spending 200M USD a day for his trip. Why Salty, Bachman and FOX News are pushing this story is beyond me.

Also, did anyone catch the 160+ F16 fighters India is considering purchasing from the USA vs France, Sweden or Russia?

You guys are probably against Obama furthering US political and economic interests as well.

-spence

scottw
11-04-2010, 09:10 PM
This thread sucks.

Obama isn't spending 200M USD a day for his trip. Why Salty, Bachman and FOX News are pushing this story is beyond me.

Also, did anyone catch the 160+ F16 fighters India is considering purchasing from the USA vs France, Sweden or Russia?

You guys are probably against Obama furthering US political and economic interests as well.

-spence

no, he's probably spending more...this is typical Obama stimulus...the job created cost ten million bucks to create and pays 40k a year...

spence
11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
no, he's probably spending more...this is typical Obama stimulus...the job created cost ten million bucks to create and pays 40k a year...
This is typical scottw post. Ignore reality, stir pot.

-spence

scottw
11-05-2010, 12:56 AM
This is typical scottw post. Ignore reality, stir pot.

-spence

REALITY IS THAT THIS PRESIDENT HAS ESTABLISHED A CLEAR PATTERN STARTING WITH HIS CANDIDACY RIGHT UP TO THE PRESENT OF MAKING EVERYTHING THAT HE DOES THE BIGGEST, MOST EXPENSIVE TO DATE.....seems to me that Obama is the one that is ignoring reality, perception, appearance, propriety and prudence in pretty much everything that he does....:uhuh:

UserRemoved1
11-05-2010, 04:27 AM
SPEW COFFEE ON MONITOR

AWESOME POST :rotf2:

[QUOTE=JohnnyD;808009]fighting a war is almost exactly the same thing as sight seeing with the family on vacation and just as expensive for some apparently...uh..I mean.. travelling on an important business trip...good thing we have factcheck.org to put everything in perspective...:rotf2:

buckman
11-05-2010, 07:43 AM
This thread sucks.

-spence

So it's kinda like selling the Chicago Olympics?

scottw
11-05-2010, 07:46 AM
So it's kinda like selling the Chicago Olympics?

ohhh...forgot about that one Buck....if his luck continues, this will be an expensive bust as well...

whatever the actual cost, and the most transparent administration in history will likely never provide that info...it is becoming way to expensive to shuffle this diva around....:uhuh:

JohnnyD
11-05-2010, 07:53 AM
SPEW COFFEE ON MONITOR

AWESOME POST :rotf2:

Apparently neither you nor scott got the point. Instead of grasping onto a report from India, I'd be curious to see numbers from anyone that can demonstrate how a trip to India can cost more per day than fighting a war. It's completely ridiculous and any reasonable person should be able to see that.

Unfortunately, people grasp onto anything negative they can and all common sense seems to go right out the window.

UserRemoved1
11-05-2010, 07:58 AM
I don't disagree I do however think he's spending a crapload of money that is unnecessary. %$%$%$%$ selling them %$%$%$%$licks planes. You and I won't get anything out of it.

Nor will you or I get anything out of him having a 1km tunnel custom assembled so he can go sightseeing. :smash:

How much do you think THAT cost? :spin:

But you got to agree it was pretty funny to read this thread then come onto that quote :hee:

buckman
11-05-2010, 08:18 AM
I'd be curious to see numbers from anyone that can demonstrate how a trip to India can cost more per day than fighting a war. It's completely ridiculous and any reasonable person should be able to see that.

Do you know how many coconut trees there are in India???:)

JohnnyD
11-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Presidential trips, regardless of who's making them, cost an unnecessarily ridiculous amount.
But you got to agree it was pretty funny to read this thread then come onto that quote :hee:
Fortunately for me, whenever scott posts all I see is:
This message is hidden because scottw is on your ignore list.
Has helped cull out a lot of nonsense.

scottw
11-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Presidential trips, regardless of who's making them, cost an unnecessarily ridiculous amount.
and when Obama/Michelle make them they are always of HISTORIC PROPORTIONS....read your own factcheck link re. Clinton trips...funny they talk about Bush and Clinton trips and then compare the Clinton trips and completely forget the Bush trips...weird...factcheck is a tool
Fortunately for me, whenever scott posts all I see is:my ass:bshake:

:grins:

UserRemoved1
11-05-2010, 09:16 AM
:rotf2:

Fortunately for me, whenever scott posts all I see is:

Swimmer
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
US to spend $200 mn a day on Obama's Mumbai visit (http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/us-to-spend-200-mn-a-day-on-obama-s-mumbai-visit-64106)

Guy should write a %$%$%$%$ing fodors book :smash:

Maybe their is an opening for a camel driver somewhere over there, and somebody is stupid enough to hire him.

UserRemoved1
11-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2010/11/04/ac.obamas.india.trip.cost2.mov.cnn?hpt=C2)

UserRemoved1
11-05-2010, 02:58 PM
SNOPES :rotf2:

spence
11-05-2010, 05:48 PM
This thread still sucks.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

UserRemoved1
11-05-2010, 05:54 PM
AFP: No, Pentagon says, Obama will not be guarded by 34 ships (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jnvgjuZmmmbXI-QwUkdw1UrxCzgQ?docId=CNG.e6845d9c6b2c4020d697d067f f57e4ad.431)

At least 5.2 million a day. Realistic number. I'm guessing more. I'm betting doubt they had to move 1 mile of tunnel there in a day? Or was this whole thing planned moons ago and we've really spent the $200 million planning this over the last year.

Conspiracy Theory.

I know Spence hey it's the best I could do to entertain you for the day.

spence
11-05-2010, 05:57 PM
What is scary is how hard rush, hannity and beck pushed it. Can't believe they weren't lying.

UserRemoved1
11-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Only s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g sound I hear right now is the one out of my wallet while Clammato and his sidekick Marcia make sweet love in Mumbai

:bshake: :humpty: :smokin: :yawn:

UserRemoved1
11-05-2010, 06:01 PM
"The White House bluntly dismissed the cost estimate, and said that the price tag for security was similar to trips for previous presidents, without offering a specific figure."

CNN did, FOI showed previous president trips was costing somewhere around $5.2million per day for a similar trip. So probably close to double that today...

That's 100 million dollars for this trip NO BULLSH IT

spence
11-05-2010, 07:35 PM
So what's the point? That a president shouldn't make state visits where it's in our interest?

You're doing a lot of whining.

Raider Ronnie
11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
200 mil a day
3000 people with him
40 planes
34 war ships
They are renting the whole Tajmahal
and they are clearing the place of coconuts so they couldn't fall on Obama's head !

EarnedStripes44
11-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I'd say 7 mil/per day.... and that's a liberal estimate

UserRemoved1
11-06-2010, 04:08 AM
So $70 million dollars for another vacation....

Spence I can't believe you even ask what the point is. Dood your delusional if you think it's ok that this kind of money is being spent to do these trips.

Putting my severe distaste for this jackass since day one aside.....It's wrong. For anyone.

It's DISGUSTING to think of the tax money I've paid in the past few years and it's being put to GREAT use.

I'd say 7 mil/per day.... and that's a liberal estimate

UserRemoved1
11-06-2010, 04:10 AM
And how exactly is this in our interest? Because of selling them these airplanes? Sorry Charlie they ain't payin #^&#^&#^&#^&. They will go down owing us the money just like any other times something gets sold. How much do they already owe us?

:smash:

buckman
11-06-2010, 05:23 AM
I think if we spend 7 mil. a day for the rest of his term to keep him busy we will come out ahead in the end.

scottw
11-06-2010, 06:04 AM
someone with a little time should make a list of "Obama's Greatest Expenses"..

this was the guy that requested more earmarks than any other Senator

THE MOST expensive campaign in history and the LAVISH spending on food and booze is well documented

THE MOST expensive innauguration in history

THE MOST EXPENSIVE agenda in history

THE MOST expensive date night in history

THE MOST expensive trips abroad and frequent vacations in history

PERPETUAL lavish parties at the Whitehouse

UNNECESSARY jaunts on Air Force One..Chicago Olympics

FLIES his freakin' dog on it's own plane?????

THIS trip is way over the top and not justified in any way...in fact very questionable for a lot of reasons

There are more examples...

all the while talking about how Americans need to tighter their belts during tough economic times

hey PAUL...that is HYPOCRICY !

spence
11-06-2010, 06:48 AM
So $70 million dollars for another vacation....

Spence I can't believe you even ask what the point is. Dood your delusional if you think it's ok that this kind of money is being spent to do these trips.

Putting my severe distaste for this jackass since day one aside.....It's wrong. For anyone.

It's DISGUSTING to think of the tax money I've paid in the past few years and it's being put to GREAT use.
This isn't a vacation, perhaps that why you're so confused?

-spence

scottw
11-06-2010, 06:58 AM
Spence is correct..he is bringing along 36 pairs of teleprompters...although, those might be for bedtime stories for the kids or pillow talk with Michelle...never know :rotf2:

scottw
11-06-2010, 07:25 AM
I was just reading this:

WASHINGTON — US President Barack Obama leaves the wreckage of his Democratic Party's election hammering for the refuge of foreign policy on Friday, setting off on a nine-day odyssey to Asia.

Obama will visit India, his boyhood home of Indonesia, South Korea for the G20 summit and then Japan for APEC meetings, seeking to broaden US geopolitical influence and win new markets for American products in the dynamic region.

With an eye on US voters back home, who used mid-term elections to send a cry of distress over the sluggish recovery, Obama will stress the commercial opportunities offered by Asia, as he seeks to boost exports to create jobs.

"The primary purpose (of the India trip) is to take a bunch of US companies and open up markets so that we can sell in Asia and some of the fastest-growing markets in the world, and we can create jobs here in the United States of America," Obama told reporters on Thursday.

"My hope is that we've got some specific announcements that show the connection between what we're doing overseas and what happens here at home when it comes to job growth and economic growth."

Obama, who has dubbed himself America's "First Pacific president" has made no secret that he sees Asia, with its fast-emerging economies and rising strategic clout, as the most vital global region to America's future.

sooooo, US companies aren't already doing business in Asia???
they can't expand or increase business in Asia without Obama and a giant entourage ???
hey Obaba, they don't need you in the way...GET THE %^CK OUT OF THE WAY!!!
YOU ARE INCOMPETENT!!!

JohnR
11-06-2010, 07:32 AM
We should be cozying up with India more than most anyone. They are a massive, vibrant democracy, with growing capital, educational, and intellectual possibilities. They share a border with the more massive, vibrant totalitarianist / communists, with growing capital, educational, and intellectual possibilities. They also need help in many areas and we could stand to benefit from help in many areas.

As our current allies in Europe fade somewhat in significance and as the world balance moves to the east, we would be well versed in building solid relationships with emerging powers and extending / reestablishing relations with current partner nations, Japan, SK, Aus, Indonesia, Indo China.

spence
11-06-2010, 07:35 AM
We should be cozying up with India more than most anyone. They are a massive, vibrant democracy, with growing capital, educational, and intellectual possibilities. They share a border with the more massive, vibrant totalitarianist / communists, with growing capital, educational, and intellectual possibilities. They also need help in many areas and we could stand to benefit from help in many areas.

As our current allies in Europe fade somewhat in significance and as the world balance moves to the east, we would be well versed in building solid relationships with emerging powers and extending / reestablishing relations with current partner nations, Japan, SK, Aus, Indonesia, Indo China.
Agree 100% and he can't do this by staying home.

While Bush was focused on his social engineering project China was locking in contracts. We're already at a disadvantage in this regard.

Perhaps Obama could try Priceline.com to make Salty happy.

-spence

scottw
11-06-2010, 07:47 AM
unnecessary and expensive dog and phony show strategically timed :uhuh:

buckman
11-06-2010, 08:38 AM
This would be a great trip for the Chamber of Commerce to be involved in. I doubt they were invited though

buckman
11-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Agree 100% and he can't do this by staying home.

While Bush was focused on his social engineering project China was locking in contracts. We're already at a disadvantage in this regard.

Perhaps Obama could try Priceline.com to make Salty happy.

-spence

A shot at Bush....that isn't like you:biglaugh:

scottw
11-06-2010, 09:02 AM
This would be a great trip for the Chamber of Commerce to be involved in. I doubt they were invited though

indeed...Crony Capitalists only on this excursion...I'm expecting O to to a lot of bowing and begging them on bended knee to buy our debt....

November 06, 2010
The Keynesians Get Their Wish
By Peter Raymond

The Keynesians finally got their wish. The Federal Reserve plans to inject $600 billion dollars of the most caustic debt imaginable into the economy. This is the Agent Orange of monetary policies that has the potential to wreak financial havoc.

In the hope of generating inflation, the central bank is going to enable deficit spending by buying treasury bonds. You read that correctly; the primary goal is to erode the value of the dollar, and we get to watch our currency and wealth literally dissolve before our eyes.

Only a desperate government would consider debasing its own currency. The resulting inflation will be an insidious tax on every American who will suffer as wages lag behind increasing prices. It is doubtful countries like China will react favorably to the precipitous drop in the value of the debt owed to them.

This strategy of monetary sabotage will punish savers and creditors, but Keynesians simply will not tolerate anything that impedes deficit spending. Since deflation hamstrings spending, they will stop at nothing to reverse deflationary pressures.

On June 28, 1978, Federal Reserve Board Member Henry C. Wallich addressed the graduating class at Fordham University. "Inflation," he informed the graduates, "is a means by which the strong can more effectively exploit the weak. The strategically positioned and well-organized can gain at the expense of the unorganized and aged."

JohnR
11-06-2010, 09:13 AM
unnecessary and expensive dog and phony show strategically timed :uhuh:

There are no 34 warships going. It is not $200 mil per day.

You know I am not a big O fan by any stretch - this one he should do. Though skip the tunnel and Coconuts. :devil2:

spence
11-06-2010, 10:27 AM
MUMBAI, India — President Barack Obama announced a host of new trade deals with India supporting tens of thousands of U.S. jobs Saturday as he began a 10-day trip through Asia on a determinedly domestic note.

Intent on demonstrating his attention to the sluggish U.S. economy even while overseas, Obama also told a meeting of U.S. and Indian executives that the U.S. would relax some export regulations that have complicated trade between America and this fast-growing country of 1.2 billion people.

UserRemoved1
11-06-2010, 10:29 AM
HOCUS POCUS.

come back here next year and show me the jobs this created HERE.

I will buy you a steak dinner.

scottw
11-06-2010, 10:44 AM

-spence

As is the case with U.S. national-security matters, Obama, if he is clever enough to do so, has the opportunity here to profit from sound investments made by the administration of George W. Bush, whose cultivation of New Delhi was one of the great unsung diplomatic success stories of the era. The Bush administration’s careful negotiation of the U.S.-India nuclear accord was the key to thawing the sometimes chilly relationship between the world’s two largest democratic republics, an unhappy relic of India’s regrettable Cold War cuddling with the Soviet Union, back when socialism was chic.

scottw
11-06-2010, 10:47 AM
You know I am not a big O fan by any stretch - this one he should do. . :devil2:

I can appreciate you position John, as someone who can see the political center from your livingroom:)

Barack Obama, Dealmaker - The Editors - National Review Online (http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/252681/barack-obama-dealmaker-editors)

JohnR
11-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I can appreciate you position John, as someone who can see the political center from your livingroom:)

Barack Obama, Dealmaker - The Editors - National Review Online (http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/252681/barack-obama-dealmaker-editors)

And your point is :huh: ? Can't tell if that was snarky or not :devil2:

(and yes, you won't hear from the left how much of the groundwork was laid out by Bush admin or how the Bush admin has probably prevented 2 wars between Pak and India)

scottw
11-06-2010, 12:23 PM
And your point is :huh: ? Can't tell if that was snarky or not :devil2:

(and yes, you won't hear from the left how much of the groundwork was laid out by Bush admin or how the Bush admin has probably prevented 2 wars between Pak and India)

no, not snarky...you mentioned recently that you could at least "still see the center"....perhaps suggesting that I cannot so I was appreciating your perspective coming from someone that might be more "centered"...and then a little Sarah Palin humor thrown in :uhuh:

UserRemoved1
11-06-2010, 01:06 PM
put EDWINA back in da bowl

"The commercial deals he announced include the purchase of 33 737s from Boeing by India's SpiceJet Airlines; the Indian military's plans to buy aircraft engines from General Electric; and preliminary agreement between Boeing and the Indian Air Force on the purchase of 10 C17s.

For the most part, the deals were already pending, but the White House contends Obama's visit to India helped finalize them. Officials said the deals would support 53,670 U.S. jobs, but it was not clear how many, if any, new jobs would be created as a result."

I'll stand by what I said earlier. So the Govt spent $100 million to send his highness and his royal queen over there and it was already penned.

Sure. All hail King Obama. :fart2:

HOCUS POCUS

JohnR
11-06-2010, 02:50 PM
10 c17s keep that line open for a while - ge engines keep lots of jobs open

scottw
11-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Bomb-proof tunnel with air conditioning: Obama's security go to extraordinary measures for his tour of the Gandhi museum
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 3:08 PM on 6th November 2010

American warships to patrol off Mumbai during visit
Coconuts removed from trees as a precaution

250 U.S. business executives with Obama on 'biggest ever trade mission'
$200million Asia trip cost denied but the President will have huge entourage

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle arrived in India's commercial hub of Mumbai on Saturday, days after voters punished his Democrats in mid-term elections.
Probably not since the days of the Pharaohs or the more ludicrous Roman Emperors has a head of state travelled in such pomp and expensive grandeur as the President of the United States of America.
While lesser mortals – the Pope, Queen Elizabeth and so on – are usually happy to let their hosts handle most of the security and transport arrangements when they venture beyond their home shores, the United States creates a mini-America on the move to ensure that nothing is left to chance.

The President and First Lady clasped hands as they arrived in Mumbai Saturday morning with their huge entourage

Obama arrives in India at the start of a ten-day tour of Asia. At the heart of the White House caravan is ‘The Beast’, a gigantic, ‘pimped-up’ General Motors Cadillac which security experts say is, short of an actual battle tank, probably the safest road vehicle on the planet.
But an outlandish car is only the start. Mr Obama will fly, of course, on Air Force One, the presidential private jumbo jet, which, boasting double beds and suites, is fitted out more like a luxury yacht. Some reports suggest it costs around $50,000 (£31,000) an hour to operate.

Of course threats can come from any direction, so a squadron of U.S. naval ships will patrol offshore. Some reports have claimed that 34 ships, including two aircraft carriers, will be involved (not far off the size of the Royal Navy’s entire Surface Fleet) but the White House has denied this.
The pair were greeted wtih flowers and gifts as they stepped off the plane

On land, as well as The Beast, Mr Obama’s entourage will travel in a fleet of 45 U.S.-built armoured limousines, half of which will be decoys. He will also travel with 30 elite sniffer dogs, mostly German Shepherds.
The White House has, according to some reports, booked the entire Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai, the city’s most luxurious. It is not uncommon for the grander heads of state to reserve a floor or two, but a whole hotel is unprecedented.

Read more: Obama's India visit security erect a bomb proof tunnel at the Gandhi museum | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326962/Obamas-India-visit-security-erect-bomb-proof-tunnel-Gandhi-museum.html#ixzz14XHjPpt1)

spence
11-06-2010, 03:37 PM
10 c17s keep that line open for a while - ge engines keep lots of jobs open

My company is a big supplier to GE aircraft, and GE sources a lot of components from many companies right here in New England.

Not only that, but there's a huge strategic aspect to this. If India is going to source military aircraft from the US rather than France or Russia it's a signal of a serious long-term alignment.

Salty can bitch all he wants about trivial or false stories he's consumed himself with on Drudge, but the fact still remains that Obama looks to be doing the right thing to further American interests.

-spence

UserRemoved1
11-06-2010, 03:48 PM
But he still is spending at least 5 million a day maybe as high as 20 million to go play spank the monkey with the missus.

And THAT you can't deny Spence.

scottw
11-06-2010, 05:30 PM
like I said...Crony Capitalists

Crony Capitalist of the Month: Jeffrey Immelt

By Jeff Harding, on September 24th, 2010

The Daily Capitalist is kicking off the first in a monthly series of the Crony Capitalist of the Month. In it we will feature mainline “capitalists” who see government favors to support their businesses. This series starts off with General Electric’s Jeff Immelt.

If you wonder why the economy is stagnating, one reason is crony capitalism whereby businesses align with the government to create policies that are favorable to their industries. Usually benefits such as tax breaks or government contracts are awarded to these government favored industries. Capital is thereby diverted to enterprises that, but for the favors, wouldn’t be economically viable. Thus capital which is needed by businesses that are profitable is reduced, which reduces economic growth.

Crony capitalists use rhetoric that is often high-toned and talk in generalities about certain “essential” industries and ”national goals” that “we” need in America or otherwise “America” will lose out. They favor government handouts because it is in their benefit and because they can’t compete in the open market. ”America” isn’t falling behind the competition, GE is falling behind:

The remarks came as GE is facing tougher competition around the world from rivals in the markets for renewable and nuclear energy that the company believes get more help from their governments.

“The rest of the world is moving 10 times faster than we are,” Mr. Immelt said, referring to the U.S. during a speech at the Gridwise Global Forum. “This is a great country. But, you know, we have to have an energy policy. This is just stupid what we have today.” …

GE has long expressed frustration with what it sees as a lack of government support for new energy technologies in the U.S. and for sales of nuclear power and other technologies overseas. The conglomerate’s nuclear unit has won little business in the current round of reactor development around the world, and its wind-power unit faces heavy competition from Chinese manufacturers.

scottw
11-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Accompanied by his swans, bears and tapestries, he moved continually from one of his castles to another...taking part in local processions and pilgrimages, visiting monasteries, enjoying wine harvests in autumn, and sending home to the Duchess on one occasion in June new peas, cherries and 78 ripe pears....The funds to gratify his tastes were wrung from the people of Auvergne, and of Languedoc when he was its governor, by the heaviest taxation in France of his time, sowing the hatred and misery that resulted in the insurrection of Montpellier and his own recall.

spence
11-07-2010, 07:48 AM
But he still is spending at least 5 million a day maybe as high as 20 million to go play spank the monkey with the missus.

And THAT you can't deny Spence.
Any President probably burns a few million a day just hanging around the Oval Office, domestic trips.

The fact is he's furthering American interests, representing us at the G20 etc...this is his job as our leader.

You just want to bitch and whine.

-spence

scottw
11-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Any President probably burns a few million a day just hanging around the Oval Office, domestic trips.

The fact is he's furthering American interests, representing us at the G20 etc...this is his job as our leader.

-spence

Crony capitalists use rhetoric that is often high-toned and talk in generalities about certain “essential” industries and ”national goals” that “we” need in America or otherwise “America” will lose out.:rotf2:

UserRemoved1
11-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Ok yea you got me.

:easy:

-spence

UserRemoved1
11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
"His visit may appear to be popular among Indian people, but much of Mumbai's workforce can't wait for Barack Obama to leave.Taxi drivers, street vendors and fishermen have complained they can barely afford to eat after the city was turned into a fortress for the state visit.
All major roads have been blocked in India's financial capital - leaving taxi drivers without work for five days.
Sandeep Jaiswal, 22, said he had earned just £2 in five days - compared with £21 on a normal day.

'We have been left out of business. Because of him we are sitting idle for days now.
'First of all I was excited the American President was coming to my city but now I request him to leave us as soon as possible so that we could earn our bread and butter.'

Fishermen have been banned from the coastline in case of attack from the sea and shopkeepers have complained about having to shut during the busy Diwali period."

scottw
11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
just found this in the NY Times... interesting title

November 5, 2010, 7:41 am
Obama Recasts Asia Trip as Jobs Mission
By MICHAEL D. SHEAR

Talk about bad timing.

Just days after American voters sent President Obama a blunt and angry message about their desire to see him do more to fix the economy, Mr. Obama was preparing to head overseas on Friday morning on a 10-day foreign trip to Asia.

The president will go to India, Indonesia, South Korea and Japan on a mission that will involve issues of global security, international trade and economics, improving cultural ties, preventing terrorism and some personal diplomacy. He will dine with foreign leaders, give a speech about Muslim outreach and attend summits on global finance.

But in the days since the midterm elections, Mr. Obama and his senior aides have found a much more simple way to describe the purpose of the trip.

It’s about American jobs, they say.
thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/.../obama-recasts-asia-trip-as-jobs-mission/

striperman36
11-07-2010, 11:49 AM
If the pres doesn't go do this as a high-profile effort. Who should - Dept of Commerce, Foreign Affairs, State

I think it legit and good use of the office.

Now if he would only let us get the F out of Aghanistan by letting India and Pakistan play it would really help our deficeit

TheSpecialist
11-07-2010, 09:16 PM
The simplest way he could have created American jobs with out going to India, is to penalize American companies who ship their jobs over seas.

UserRemoved1
11-08-2010, 05:16 AM
:claps:

The simplest way he could have created American jobs with out going to India, is to penalize American companies who ship their jobs over seas.

UserRemoved1
11-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Home Depot, Walmart, Target, etc etc etc

Piscator
11-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Gibbs threatens to pull Obama from India talks after press dispute

Why would Gibbs have the decision/authority to pull the President from talks with India? Who is working for who here?

Gibbs threatens to pull Obama from India talks after press dispute | The Upshot Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101108/pl_yblog_upshot/gibbs-threatens-to-pull-obama-after-press-dispute)

RIJIMMY
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM

just curious, under what right? Tell me what gives the president authority to do this? That my friends is beyond socialism, thats dictatorship.
I see 5000 people with 5000 ipods a day, every one of them made in China. Why doesnt the American public boycott Apple? No, of course not, we sit around and bitch and wait for the governement to do something. As long as its profitable to send jobs overseas, companys will do so, shareholders want a profitable company and thats what CEOs get paid to provide.
The president could make changes to corp taxes, labor laws, trade laws, or other tax laws that benefit keeping manufacturing in the US. But the average workers would scream and cry and it will never take hold.

RIJIMMY
11-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Labor groups who backed Manchin over Republican John Raese are pushing hard for passage of the Paycheck Fairness Act. The bill, already passed by the House, would require employers who have facilities in multiple states to pay all their employees the same wage.

It would be a coup for unions, because it would reduce the appeal of right-to-work states to companies looking to add or relocate plants. One union contract anywhere would set pay rates nationwide.

and you wonder why companies send work overseas??????????????

UserRemoved1
11-08-2010, 06:47 PM
TWO PEAS IN A POD

Bedspreads, Ganeshas, toys...Michelle can't stop buying at crafts museum : India (http://www.nerve.in/news:253500351728)

She can't stop spending just like her husband.

Hi Spence :wave:

scottw
11-09-2010, 07:23 AM
dancing....shopping...trashing the US...must be a really important trip....the folks at home must be quite proud......I can't think of anyone more qualified to lead this important mission....:yak5:

RIJIMMY
11-09-2010, 09:23 AM
did you see his explanation of "jihad"
he went into this lawyer like overview trying to be politically correct. it was sad.

scottw
11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
did you see his explanation of "jihad"
he went into this lawyer like overview trying to be politically correct. it was sad.

ahhh.....errr...ummmm...and ahhhh...he never answered the little girl's question.....Sans-a-Prompter :uhuh::rotf2:

buckman
11-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Explain to me why on a Asian "sales trip" we are ignoring China????????

RIJIMMY
11-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Reasons include

- our credit cards dont work there
- they wouldnt lend us the money for the trip
- Raider Ronnie insulted their food

:devil2:

buckman
11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Reasons include

- our credit cards dont work there
- they wouldnt lend us the money for the trip
- Raider Ronnie insulted their food

:devil2:

Your right. they are not lending us money anymore, instead the are buying up resources

PaulS
11-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Obama was reading this site and saw how upset SaltyB. was and tried to keep the expenses down???

UserRemoved1
11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Pfft nothing you or I say would keep this dooshfart from spending more money. Watch. :rotf2:

Obama was reading this site and saw how upset SaltyB. was and tried to keep the expenses down???

buckman
11-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Well there you go....

First lady’s handshake with conservative Muslim raises Indonesian eyebrows | The Upshot Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101109/pl_yblog_upshot/first-ladys-handshake-with-conservative-indonesian-muslim-raises-eyebrows)

RIJIMMY
11-09-2010, 02:45 PM
I'd have a lot more respect for her and their visit if she reached around and grabbed his butt while shaking hands with him.

scottw
11-09-2010, 02:48 PM
damn conservatives.....hey, is that Michelle or Orpah?

JohnnyD
11-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Well there you go....

First lady’s handshake with conservative Muslim raises Indonesian eyebrows | The Upshot Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101109/pl_yblog_upshot/first-ladys-handshake-with-conservative-indonesian-muslim-raises-eyebrows)

Just goes to show how unbelievably insane these people and the conservatives in their religion are.

scottw
11-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Just goes to show how unbelievably insane these people and the conservatives in their religion are.

"these people" ?

RIJIMMY
11-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm offended.

scottw
11-09-2010, 03:44 PM
SOUNDS RACIST :uhuh:

buckman
11-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I am appalled

buckman
11-11-2010, 08:33 AM
FAIL!!!!

Obama gets no trade deal, but has his hands full - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101111/ap_on_bi_ge/obama_asia)

scottw
11-11-2010, 08:43 AM
FAIL!!!!

Obama gets no trade deal, but has his hands full - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101111/ap_on_bi_ge/obama_asia)

like the Olympics, maybe we should start sending someone that knows what they are doing?

JohnnyD
11-11-2010, 09:17 AM
FAIL!!!!

Nothing quite like rejoicing in the President not succeeding at something that would help the economy and spur trade; a pact that Bush got the ball rolling on in 2007.

However, my response (which is why I could never be a politician), "Oh, ok. I'll be taking my warships and troops with me. Good luck with North Korea and China."

RIJIMMY
11-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Nothing quite like rejoicing in the President not succeeding at something that would help the economy and spur trade; a pact that Bush got the ball rolling on in 2007.

However, my response (which is why I could never be a politician), "Oh, ok. I'll be taking my warships and troops with me. Good luck with North Korea and China."

actually Johnny, thats what a GOOD politican would do!

buckman
11-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Not rejoicing JD. Just want to say "told you so" again......

JohnnyD
11-11-2010, 10:29 AM
actually Johnny, thats what a GOOD politican would do!

Actually, that's not what a good politician would do. The "screw you guys, I'm taking my ball and going home" approach will never get you far when dealing with anyone, especially a country that is in the Top 10 for imports into the US.

RIJIMMY
11-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Actually, that's not what a good politician would do. The "screw you guys, I'm taking my ball and going home" approach will never get you far when dealing with anyone, especially a country that is in the Top 10 for imports into the US.

politics is knowing you have leverage and using it.

scottw
11-12-2010, 01:03 PM
politics is knowing you have leverage and using it.

and Where...

so now that Obama has been so resoundingly rejected in America....and the world....let's send him to outerspace...can't possibly cost any more than the Mumbai Adventure.....maybe he can drum up some business and support for his alien fiscal policies...

OUT THERE :eyes:

scottw
11-13-2010, 12:35 PM

WAAAAAAAAAAAA...HAAAAAAA.....HAAAAA..:bc:

Our Whiner in Chief
Rick Moran
President Obama spent a considerable part of his press conference in Seoul whining about press coverage of his Asia trip and criticism of his policies at home. He seemed genuinely befuddled that the media appears to have lost most of its worship of him and have begun to act like, you know, real reporters instead of his press agents:

The president complained several times during his news conference about the U.S. media's coverage of the G-20 summit. He pushed back at the suggestion that he's weaker on the world stage because of the midterm elections and argued that his fellow leaders are no tougher on him than they were a year ago when he was new to the scene and his poll numbers were high.
"I remember our first G-20, you guys writing the exact same stories you're writing now. Don't you remember that, Sheryl?" Obama said to The New York Times's Sheryl Stolberg.

Asked by CBS's Chip Reid about complaints heard from other leaders during the summit, Obama shot back: "What about compliments?" :rotf2:

Is that the most pathetic statement ever made by a president at a press conference? Since he never mentioned any compliments made by other leaders, we must assume that they were few and far between. In fact, as I pointed out in my article at FrontPage.com , the criticism of Ben Bernanke's QE2 as well as the president's budget policies was not only severe, but nearly universal.

The president also tried to dismiss the idea that the summit was a failure and all but blamed the press for not concentrating on the extraordinarily meager results Obama came away from Seoul with:

He appeared thin-skinned about the characterizations of his time at the summit, saying that nobody wrote about leaders setting the stage for financial regulatory reform at the last G-20 summit because it "wasn't real sexy" and criticizing reporters' "search for drama."
"Sometimes, I think, naturally there's an instinct to focus on the disagreements, because otherwise, these summits might not be very exciting - it's just a bunch of world leaders sitting around intervening," he said

The takeaways from the G-20 were incremental. The nations agreed on a "framework of cooperation" for economic growth, including to strive for market-determined exchange rates and to develop early warning indicators that signal trade imbalances. But the agreement lacked specific target numbers and deadlines - the countries' finance ministers are tasked with following up on it next year - and Obama faced questions about whether he'd lost cachet on the world stage.

"When I first came into office, people might have been interested in more photo ops because there had been a lot of hoopla surrounding my election," Obama said, :bs: adding that he now has relationships with key leaders, including Chancellor Merkel of Germany, President Lee of South Korea and China's Hu Jintao - all of whom kept Obama from getting precisely what he sought out of the summit.

A total, unmitigated disaster. An embarrassment for the United States. As Tom Lifson pointed out yesterday, we have an "incredible shrinking president" with dire consequences for our position as an economic and military power in the world. With Obama becoming more and more irrelevant, and world leaders dismissing him as a lightweight, it is well to remember that these are our friends and allies copping this attitude.

I wonder what our enemies think? :gh: