View Full Version : I can't believe it...

Big Vern
03-25-2003, 03:26 PM
In this month's issue of On The Water there is a four page article on the Mystic Lake in Arlington. This is where I grew up! My parents live right on the lake, and my whole life I never saw any fish there outside of the alewife during their run and carp gumming the bottom. The author now reports that stripers follow the alewife up into the lake on their run, and there are plenty of largmouths, smallies, and pickeral. I am shocked. There has been a major cleanup project associated with the lake, but this marks quite a turnaround, and it also probably explains why there have been two Bald Eagles hanging out in my parent's backyard on an almost daily basis. What a shock to me. Huh - I guess you never know.

Gloucester2
03-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Don, I grew up there too ! On the River though . . . I cut my fishing teeth there . . . we used to troll the river for LMB (up to 5 lbs) from a canoe.

I've always wondered if stripers could make it that far . . . I've read for years about the good fishing at the Amelia Earhardt Dam (and I'm learning about the CT River fishery now - right Toby :D) and I know there always has been an incredible run of alewives . . . I always figured the locks would prevent the stripers from getting there. Can't wait to see the story when I get home!

May have to give it a go.

Big Vern
03-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Oh...I'm giving it a try. I've caught at the dam before, but the lake is just too much.

Good N You
03-26-2003, 01:22 PM
When I was in high school some kids were having a party at the lake. When the cops showed up, some wiseass put the cruiser in drive and in the lake it went.