View Full Version : Refinishing Old Rods

Jimbo
03-25-2003, 05:03 PM
I read on this site once that one way to determine if you'd be interested in rod building is refinishing a rod first. I want to try that. I have a 9' spinning rod I'd like to turn into a conventional for a Penn 555GS I want to learn to use. The rod is a brown no name, possibly fiberglass, so I might like to paint it too. Is this recommended? What kind of paint?
One more FYI question: I actually had the reel on the rod already and noticed with the wide spool on the Penn reel, the line was actually touching the inner rim of the last spinning guide. It made me wonder if a conventional guide in the same spot wouldn't put additional wear on the line and woulkd the resistence affect cast distances?
Thanks.

Goose
03-25-2003, 07:10 PM
I have redone a few old rods, excellent way to practice your rod building skills before spending all the money on a new blank. If your intention is to strip the rod down completly your going to have to paint the blank. The type of paint I use is an acrylic (Finity) comes either black or white and can be bought at Wally World or any craft store for about $5. Recently this winter I mixed the two colors to make a gray which came out nice. The paint is applyed with a spong type brush, at least two coats are required. Before painting your going to have to take all the old finish and or paint off useing different gritts on sand paper(I spin the blank on the rollers), I then clean the blank useing alcohol and ready for paint. Doing your favorite rods over allows you get to change your gudes and gude placement. Try and keep the same # of gudes and don't make big changes if your not sure. Once wraped and coated its brand spankin new.

BTW.. reel seats can also be cut off and replaced along with handles.