View Full Version : 1322-1

O.D. Mike
11-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Need some advice,

I've never built a surf rod before and I was thinking of taking my 1322-1 conventional and changing it to a spin. I have built fly rods and repaired spin rods but never built one from scratch.

Do the guides go on the same side as the conventional?

I will be using Braid with this rod so what type of guides should I be using (large or small)?

I have not started this project and want to know what I'm getting into.

Once I carefully cut the guides off, what do I use to clean the blank off with? is there some type of cleaned to take off the extra epoxy and won't hurt the blank?

Anything will be helpful!

Thanks,
Mike

numbskull
11-07-2010, 02:59 PM
The guides will go on the opposite side.
Clean the old epoxy by softening it with a heat gun and scraping it off. Don't go crazy. The melting point of epoxy is well below that of the graphite, but the graphite resin will soften and separate if you get careless.

Cut off the old reel seat, use a hack saw lengthwise then split it off with a screw driver.

If you are fussy you can sand the blank and refinish with a hard clear coat (not epoxy)....but what exactly you should use I can't tell you since I don't bother (my rods all look like shiit anyways).

For guides, splurge if you can afford to and try the set up I posted in the main forum on the thread about the GSB1321L

Barring that, go with BMNAG's starting with a 30-20-12 maybe, then using size 10 running guides to the tip. Test cast and adjust.

This thread may help as well. http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/rod-building/51854-surf-spin-rod-braided-line.html

O.D. Mike
11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks Numby!

When I get started can I PM you for advise? This project will go on the back burner for now, but I can't wait to start it....

Mike

numbskull
11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks Numby!

When I get started can I PM you for advise? This project will go on the back burner for now, but I can't wait to start it....

Mike

Sure, but if you are going with the BMNAG's you'd do better to pick Back Beach's brain (at least the little bit left he hasn't been able to reach through his nose)...he has built more that way than I.