View Full Version : Cruise Ships...No Thanks!

BigFish
11-10-2010, 07:04 AM
You could not give me a free cruise to anywhere!!! I hear nothing but stories of hell about cruise ships the last few years. You can keep em' thanks!

Raider Ronnie
11-10-2010, 07:26 AM
You don't know what you are missing, they are a blast.

BigFish
11-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Yeah.....whats so fun about them?? Then I will tell you there is nothing on an isolated ship that would interest me! Gambling?? Nope...don't do it! All you can eat 5 times a day? Nope.....I can eat anyplace! Dancing? Nope....don't! Swimming pools??? Nope.....prefer the ocean or a pond! Whats left??? Lets talk about the incredibly tiny cabins?? Lets talk about how bored I would be stuck on a ship.....I need to roam and I know those things are big, but I like ground, trees, something different around every turn and the option to get into a car and go where I like!

Nope....not for me! Glad you like it though!

PRBuzz
11-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Bring your yak and surf the ship's wake!

ecduzitgood
11-10-2010, 08:49 AM
If you won't do it for yourself do it for your family, they will love it and you don't know it yet but you will love it too. It really is one of the best ways to vacation, you never get board unless you choose not to participate with others. The food is amazing and you will find something you like/love because of all the choices. The change in ports gives you the ability to see different places, so if you really hate where you're at, no problem you will be leaving soon, all without having to worry about your luggage. The rooms are comparable to any hotel that you will stay at except cleaner, besides how much time do you spend in the room while vacationing? Try it once and use it to research multiple areas all in one vacation and if you find you liked one particular place best you can return without the cruise ship in the future.

BigFish
11-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Tell me what "choices" are there for recreation??

ecduzitgood
11-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Take a look at the amenities of different ships and cruises and the itineraries they offer for both on ship and off ship activities.
A cruise is what you make of it. If you don't want to enjoy yourself you won't, remain open minded and give it a chance and you'll wish you had done it sooner.

And by the way you could take a cruise for free if you have something to entertain or educate fellow passengers. Pack the lathe and you could be the entertainment.

BigFish
11-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Believe me when I tell you I know all about them....my parents have been, friends have been......I have heard all about them.......they do not appeal to me in the least. Add to that rogue waves, sudden mystery illnesses, and the ship having a power loss.........and then being stranded on it........I will pass.

Raven
11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
i wonder if you could bring your kayak as luggage and then
go fishing off the coast of Costa Rica (worth calling them)

or......... some other tropical island perhaps...
then there's the sky tram where you slide
.....thru the Jungle high above the trail

or you could get a survival suit and try Alaska
and let some barn door sized hallibut, tow you around

Raven
11-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Still trying to figure out why humanity is so damn stupid
.....the search for an answer continues!

i believe you are forgetting that we are Mere ANIMALS

and some got short changed on intelligence.

ecduzitgood
11-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Believe me when I tell you I know all about them....my parents have been, friends have been......I have heard all about them.......they do not appeal to me in the least. Add to that rogue waves, sudden mystery illnesses, and the ship having a power loss.........and then being stranded on it........I will pass.

How many horror stories do you hear about any kind of travel? It is a rare occurance; if something does go wrong the crew goes above and beyond to try and make/keep you happy. Like I said before make the sacrifice for the family and they will Thank you.
I really hate to see you miss out on what might be the best vacation you've ever had because of preconceived notions, take a chance you might be glad you did.

RIJIMMY
11-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Lar - wont try to convince you but will share my experience.
Im sort of an off the beaten path traveler, love to explore on my own. Hate tours. I thought a cruise would be hell. We took my Dad about 10 yrs ago for his 60th bday and I had one of the best times of my life. It was a week of no worries, no thinking, no planning. My wife and I could drink until 2am, sit out on the deck at night, get food at 3am and sleep the next day until noon. Nothing compares to be up at dawn as the ship pulls into a port. The crystal blue waters of tropical islands. I've been on 3 since then and have taken my kids on 2.
Im sort of a romantic, but These cruises go to islands once inhabited by pirates and explorers, I watch the flying fish and the sea birds in the boats wake and imagine thats exactly what some sailor was wathing 300 years ago. I dont know another way I can be on the sea and see those things. We dont do any of the ships shore excursions, once we land, I have my own plans, we travel on buses and all over the islands. We were on a bus in Bermuda, packed with locals. My kids were sitting on a chair between two Rastas and my kids were singing some song so loud,I was embarrassed, these guys were loving it and everyone on the bus was so psyched, they were singing along. Corny, but I love being on the open water. There are any activities you can imagine. I dont gamble or dance either but there was always something to do from cigar tastings, to martini tastings, sports etc. We would hang in the piano bar for a few hours and guys would be playing blues and jazz and taking requests. All of the ships crew are from around the world and you get to know them personally. Im not too social but you really get attached to them. I remember when the captain said that off the port bow was San Salvador. I stood there with my kids as we passed and said can you imagine what Christopher Columbus and his men felt when they saw this EXACT same island after crossing the atlantic? I think that stuff is cool.
Also - Id rather be on a ship when it breaks down than an airplane!

ecduzitgood
11-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Having a balcony makes a huge difference, well worth the extra :btu:

UserRemoved1
11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
hookers?

Tell me what "choices" are there for recreation??

BigFish
11-10-2010, 10:08 AM
hookers?

Hmmmm.....tell me more?:drool: :uhuh:

ecduzitgood
11-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Don't know about the hookers but if you want to get some trim it is readily available, some shiplines more than others, it's kinda like Vegas on the high seas.

Raven
11-10-2010, 10:53 AM
How many horror stories do you hear about any kind of travel? It is a rare occurance; if something does go wrong the crew goes above and beyond to try and make/keep you happy. Like I said before make the sacrifice for the family and they will Thank you.
I really hate to see you miss out on what might be the best vacation you've ever had because of preconceived notions, take a chance you might be glad you did.

i found dealing with Airlines to be more of a Horror show
not to switch subjects....
but it was so bad..... i doubt i'll ever fly again.

Raven
11-10-2010, 10:57 AM

one thing my buddy told me about cruise lines is this...

since he goes on them allot....

they totally assign personell to you ..... and they are responsible
for making sure you have a great freakin time
no matter what.

They don't harass you to do anything
but more like they know you well enough to make suggestions
that are specifically designed to match your preferences.

Mr. Sandman
11-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Be more open minded....I think if you went on one your perception would change right away. They are a lot of fun!! The screw ups are far and few. BWT , those folks that got stuck...they will be well compensated.

Why not go see Alaska that way and stop off in several fishing destinations and do a heli tour of a glacier ? My sister did that last summer with her family and they said it was one the best experience and vacations of their lives.

I am planning a cruise right now for my family. I want to take them to island hop in Hawaii but I don't think we have enough time. I think we may do 5 day caribbean grand Cay/Mex deal and save Hawaii for when we have more time. (actually I want to take my wife to Tahiti, there is a island cruse down there that is unreal, I look at those islands and I am afraid if I go there I will not come back...I am serious I am fed up with the US anyway)