View Full Version : Korkers 2011 models

Redsoxticket
11-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Korkers 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChNy0hbkSpc)
line of wading boots feature full width snap in soles with more studs per sole then previous models.
I've held off on selecting a new wading boot (i.e. modified boot, korkers) due to issues such as studs that bend on modified boots, lack of studs and soles popping out on korkers. It appears this new line may answer most of my concerns.

Headhunter
11-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Not so sure the new system will prevent the soles coming out under extreme conditions. I bolted mine in on the old style and need to replace them, the boot that is, going on 4 seasons or more. I will get a new pair and if it is a problem i will bolt them in again.

JohnR
11-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Not so sure the new system will prevent the soles coming out under extreme conditions. I bolted mine in on the old style and need to replace them, the boot that is, going on 4 seasons or more. I will get a new pair and if it is a problem i will bolt them in again.

I SOOOO recommend you try the Wearbars and the Cabela's boots. So far so good and SOOOOO comfortable. I have forgotten how to spell k0rk3rs because of theses boots & studs:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/63665-alternative-korkers-3.html

Note - these are the Wearbars: http://www.wearbars.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=246

You might want to put a washer in just to get a little extra clearance so you don't feel the tops of the studs through the sole of the boot / stocking foot.

afterhours
11-11-2010, 03:25 PM
wearbars rule!

Redsoxticket
11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Wear bars will eventually bend from the sole. Ask the heavy, no pun intended, rock hoppers
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tattoobob
11-11-2010, 03:36 PM
I am far from heavy and my wear bars also bend, but still works fine

JohnR
11-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Wear bars will eventually bend from the sole. Ask the heavy, no pun intended, rock hoppers

I resemble that remark. Seeing that I'm probably in the 90% of surfcasters in the category of girth, I can attest to 40+ trips I made this year on rock that I did loose a couple studs but I will replace them happily in a heartbeat as a cost of doing business.

Redsoxticket
11-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Note that I stated bent (slanted to side)studs not lost studs as you mentioned.

If your studs are not bending to the side it is either contributed to the washers or a minimum gross weight where the vertical weight exceeds the horizontal force on the spikes. Me thinks it is the former.

piemma
11-11-2010, 05:20 PM
I installed the Wearbar studs on my LL Bean Wading boots and LOVE them. 20 Canal trips and 1/2 dozen in Soco and no problems at all. Best new product I have used in years.

afterhours
11-11-2010, 05:32 PM
i put wearbars on simms headwaters and used the chit out of them this year- zero lost and zero bent. i re-torqued them once a month or so. a lot has to do with the simms vibram soles i think there is a hard rubber/plastic wedge in the middle of the sole. one of the best fishing investments i ever made...saftey on rocks priceless.

Zeno
11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
every one of mine is bent...and i resent being called heavy ..lmao

ivanputski
11-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Those boots are for stream trout fisherman... Straight garbage for surfcasting...

That is Ivan Putski's review... remember my words when you lose your soles.

I said it dozens of times in threads... I dont need boots that do a bunch of things pretty well, I need a boot that does one thing really well. Wearbars are the closest thing I have found... 60+ nights... love them.

luds
11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Those boots are for stream trout fisherman... Straight garbage for surfcasting...

That is Ivan Putski's review... remember my words when you lose your soles.

I said it dozens of times in threads... I dont need boots that do a bunch of things pretty well, I need a boot that does one thing really well. Wearbars are the closest thing I have found... 60+ nights... love them.

You must have used the older wetlands boots. Those were junk. I'll give a couple of the new models a go. The utlra lights and torrents were good to me. It looks like there were a couple of comparable models there.

Pete F.
11-11-2010, 11:37 PM
I installed the Wearbar studs on my LL Bean Wading boots and LOVE them. 20 Canal trips and 1/2 dozen in Soco and no problems at all. Best new product I have used in years.

Which beans boots do you have?
I have the riversomethings and mine have bent and some pulled out, I still have more than half. But, NO I will not go back to Korkers. I thiink it may be due in part to: Size Matters
I think it is walking on angled rocks like short wall that tears them out more than anything.

Ken_J
11-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Wow those Omnitrax 3.0 totally look like the soles will come right off.

piemma
11-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Which beans boots do you have?
I have the riversomethings and mine have bent and some pulled out, I still have more than half. But, NO I will not go back to Korkers. I thiink it may be due in part to: Size Matters
I think it is walking on angled rocks like short wall that tears them out more than anything.

Pete, I'll see if I can find a model #. I have had them for years. Felt soles, gray in color with 3 speed lace hooks.

luds
11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
What korkers models are you guys having issues with the soles coming off. I've had them somewhat pop out of the thingies on the side of the shoe but the sole never actualy comes out or off the shoe so it's really fine. I just need to occasionally take them off to take out any small rocks or debrit that get lodged in there and it's very rare that I have to do that. I also love that I can go back and forth between the large carbide studs and studded felt. The carbide studs are great for bumble weed but unecessary most of the time.

Pete F.
11-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Pete, I'll see if I can find a model #. I have had them for years. Felt soles, gray in color with 3 speed lace hooks.
If they are old ones it does'nt matter. The ones I have have pretty soft soles and I am thinking of buying some with stiffer soles. So I am looking for current models that work.

MassBass
11-12-2010, 10:24 AM
for those having issues with wearbars bending, it really depends on the type of soles you have. The softer the sole, the more the screws will bend - and by "bending" I think you mean "folding" under body weight? as these screws are pretty tough to "bend". Also, the more screws per sole, the better weight distribution you'll have on each screw. I know some that use 40+ lugs per sole and have little issue.
Simms boots with vibram soles work very well with wearbars. I've also had good experiences using wearbars with korker boots as these soles have that hard orange plastic throughout it's length.

JackK
11-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Finally they have size 15s.... But I still think I'm going to go the werebar route in my simms this year. Interested to see how they handle Cape Ann granite- the little simms brand studs I bought wore smooth in a couple months.

agsurfr
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Wear Bars + Cabelas Ultra Lite = good footing??

Gonna try it

ab

BassDawg
11-14-2010, 06:49 AM
how's about attaching the wearbars to my felt-soled boot foot waders??

may give them a go, for next year~~~ anyone tried this application, yet?

RNC
11-14-2010, 05:55 PM
how's about attaching the wearbars to my felt-soled boot foot waders??

may give them a go, for next year~~~ anyone tried this application, yet?

I tried that on my Korkers felt sole. I screwed them in with a washer for additional support of the weight distribution. After a few steps and slips over slimy boulders, either the wearbars popped out or went sideways as there were no support for the threads of the spike themselves.

BassDawg
11-15-2010, 01:59 AM
thanks for the feedback,,,,,,

will prolly still give it a go with 3/4" wearbars
screwed into my boot footed waders.