View Full Version : Laid off - health insurance

cheferson
11-18-2010, 07:54 AM
So got laid off yesterday . Any options for health insurance? I see the government subsidy for cobra expired in may 2010. ehhhhhh......

The Dad Fisherman
11-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Its only 2010....

cheferson
11-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Mistake , 2010 sorry.

Swimmer
11-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I am sorry to hear this.

cheferson
11-18-2010, 10:45 AM
It's all good! I hated that miserable ass job any how , eventually will be better off. Just a few bumps in the road , better things on the horizon.

redlite
11-18-2010, 10:48 AM
After you have your unemployment processed, they will send you the info for the free state run health insurance plan.

PaulS
11-18-2010, 10:50 AM
sorry to hear that. Still look at cobra.

I'd call the state dept. of insurance and find out who writes what in the state and then look at a high $ deductible plan/catastrophic plan until you can get group coverage. Good luck finding a job.

cheferson
11-18-2010, 10:58 AM
After you have your unemployment processed, they will send you the info for the free state run health insurance plan.

In Ma? Im in Rhody....

The high deductible policy for the mean time is a good idea!! Dont even wanna think what cobra will be for the wife and I.

RIJIMMY
11-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Chef - be sure you dont let coverage lapse, thats how you get into trouble with pre-existing conditions.

cheferson
11-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Chef - be sure you dont let coverage lapse, thats how you get into trouble with pre-existing conditions.

ehhh , forgot about that . :wall:I have tendinitis .My doc had previously mentioned workmens comp possibly for a month. What are a work places responsibilities for a repetitive work injury after your laid off? So this condition would make it a pain in the future when I applied for insurance?

fishbones
11-18-2010, 01:06 PM
ehhh , forgot about that . I have tendinitis in hands/wrists from repetitive work . My doc had previously mentioned workmens comp possibly for a month. What are a work places responsibilities for a repetitive work injury after your laid off? So this condition would make it a pain in the future when I applied for insurance?:wall:

You can try to apply for W/C. It definitely wouldn't hurt, unless you don't want to burn any bridges with your former employer.

Your employer should have given you the paperwork for COBRA. If you didn't get it, they have 14 days to get it to you. Then, you don't need to decide right away. I believe you have 60 days to elect or decline coverage.

cheferson
11-18-2010, 01:16 PM
You can try to apply for W/C. It definitely wouldn't hurt, unless you don't want to burn any bridges with your former employer.

Your employer should have given you the paperwork for COBRA. If you didn't get it, they have 14 days to get it to you. Then, you don't need to decide right away. I believe you have 60 days to elect or decline coverage.

Burn bridges? I busted my ass there for 2.5 years . Never had these issues till I did the high volume saute station there.I couldn't even afford the first 2 weeks of PT because of crap pay/hours. I didn't fish all summer due to this, and only a few short trips in oct. Just to get pushed out by a lazy ass kisser who gets paid a lot less then I did.

No cobra paperwork , I assume Ill get that with my vacation time payout/last check. Luckily I kind of saw this coming and banked a ton of vacay hours.

MakoMike
11-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Look at cobra, it is expensive but may be the best deal for you. Also look into W/C for your injuries. Compare everything. Also take into account that if the shroom business is a go you're going to need and individual policy anyway, so even if cobra is the better deal you're going to have to switch when that runs out.

Raven
11-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Everything happens for a reason....
may look bleak now but things will change.

cheferson
11-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Everything happens for a reason....
may look bleak now but things will change.

Oh, I hear here ya. Complaining now , future is bright!

american spirit
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
whatever you do, don't apply for masshealth. that stuff needs to be shutdown. waste of taxpayers money, and doesn't cover much.

Saltheart
11-19-2010, 12:49 PM
RI Blue Cross has some good direct pay plans that include prescription coverage. Not cheap but good coverage. The problem is I believe you must use the Cobra option and have it run out (18 months) before you can get into one of the direct pay plans.

If you do start a business , you can join one of the Chambers of Commerce (Providence or Northern RI) and get coverage as part of their group. Again its not cheap but you can at least get it.

There is no source for cheap. Most people will have trouble getting coverage at all in otgher states. In RI we are lucky to be able to get it as individuals.

Do not let the 60 days pass and be subject to a medical exam and preexisting condition waiting periods. There are many worse and far more costly things than tendonitis that can pop up as far as medical issues. You never know so be smart and stay covered.

RIJIMMY
11-19-2010, 01:01 PM
ehhh , forgot about that . :wall:I have tendinitis .My doc had previously mentioned workmens comp possibly for a month. What are a work places responsibilities for a repetitive work injury after your laid off? So this condition would make it a pain in the future when I applied for insurance?

its an issue if you let your insurance lapse. its not an issue, even with a new provider, if you continue your insurance coverage.

PaulS
11-19-2010, 01:27 PM
I believe you have 60 days to elect or decline coverage.

I THINK that they don't require you to pay right away. As you said, you may only have to elect coverage. You'll prob. then get a policy and a bill which you have to pay w/in 30 days. So you have ineffect 90 days b/f you have to come up with $. If you don't have any claims in that period, you don't have to pay for anything. If you did have large claims, you can pay the 3 months you owe and have the ins. cover those claims. I'd read everything 2x to make sure that is the case.

buckman
11-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I THINK that they don't require you to pay right away. As you said, you may only have to elect coverage. You'll prob. then get a policy and a bill which you have to pay w/in 30 days. So you have ineffect 90 days b/f you have to come up with $. If you don't have any claims in that period, you don't have to pay for anything. If you did have large claims, you can pay the 3 months you owe and have the ins. cover those claims. I'd read everything 2x to make sure that is the case.

If you don't pay your bill every month you WILL get a notice cancelling your insurance retroactive to the date when you "paid to date". If you had a claim you will have to pay back the money.

It's not like your car ins. where they tell you up front when it will be cancelled.

Go with the Mass Health. They will base your premium on what you earn "collecting". Your premium will be low and your insurance will be first rate.

PaulS
11-19-2010, 01:45 PM
If you don't pay your bill every month you WILL get a notice cancelling your insurance retroactive to the date when you "paid to date". If you had a claim you will have to pay back the money.

The issue is that he has possibly 60 days to "elect" coverage. I think the coverage is then retroactive to the date his company paid coverage terminated (regardless of whether he had any new claims or not). If he elects coverage, he still may have some time b/f his cobra policy will be termed for lack of payment. The ins. company isn't going to process any claims until they are paid. What I meant is that if the coverage is back to the day his company paid coverage ends, he'll know if he incured some claims and if it is worth it to pay for the coverage. He needs to read everything to make sure he doesn't loose coverage if he really wants it.

UserRemoved1
11-19-2010, 04:16 PM
First rate on mass health?

HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING?

jredfly
11-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Cobra is way too expenive, go with the high deductible plan - say like $5k - it will cut the cost way down. That way you will be covered if something really bad happens to you or the wife (I hope that never occurs). You pay out of pocket for the doctor but shop around and find out what they charge (some doctors are cheaper than others). It's actually kind of funny how when you say you are paying yourself it is half the cost of what they charge the insurance company. Health insurance has gone crazy - $1200 to $1600 per month for a family plan and to have this expense when you just got laid-off, it's criminal. BTW be glad you are not in MA, if you can't afford it and you have to make a choice to eat or pay health insurance they will penalize you on your taxes.Hang in there - I hope you get back to work soon. Good Luck! :uhuh: