View Full Version : pulled it yesterday.

Mr. Sandman
11-23-2010, 08:16 AM
That's the bad news. The good news it is on blocks within 100' of my workshop. Hope to customize it a little more this winter.

I wish I had the skills and equipment RonnieRader has...I am still in awe over that door you guys did last winter.

piemma
11-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Just finished covering mine. DEPRESSED!!!:bc:

ProfessorM
11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
just finished winterizing my 2 boats, engines today, all covered and put to sleep. Nice day to do it, usually I pick a friggin freezing wind swept day today was a beauty.

PRBuzz
11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm trying to keep my ready-to-go for maybe another 2 weeks but forecast is making that look difficult. Would really like to find 1 nice day for tuna but might have to settle for 1 last tog trip.

InTheHole
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
winterized and covered last weekend, need to take a few more things off and stow them in the basement. another boating season in the books.
Time to put up the skating rink!!

Pauleye
11-23-2010, 02:57 PM
. . . to end my first boating season. Very sad but I sure welcomed the break. Now it's ice fishing season for me. I love the extreme changes in fishing we are offered here in the northeast. I can be at Block for Tuna, then fish a lake for pike, then fly fish the Farmington River for trout. Try that in Colorado.

RIJIMMY
11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Mine is all wrapped up. I look at it as a big christmas present I get to open up again in March!
Im happy the season is over. Wasnt the best year I've had fishing, need to regroup and come up with some new strategies.

macojoe
11-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Did the motor today, will cover Thursday after the bird while my son is here to help

afterhours
11-24-2010, 07:56 AM
putting my skiff away today, did the motor yesterday and put in the basement and wrap the boat today....come on spring:uhuh:.

BigBo
11-24-2010, 08:39 AM
All winterized and covered here. Just need to secure to cover a little better before the snow flies.

Fly Rod
11-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Yesterday was such a warm day I finally winterized it.

Sea Dangles
11-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Mine is in line at Monahans to get winterized,then off to Metan to get the electronics reconfigured and a thru hull transducer installed.Could be for sale in the spring.

Nebe
11-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Mine is in line at Monahans to get winterized,then off to Metan to get the electronics reconfigured and a thru hull transducer installed.Could be for sale in the spring.

what chu got?

Sea Dangles
11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Parker 23 SE 2005, two foot itis after 1 season.

thefishingfreak
11-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Mine is still ready to chase fish. Will haul out either this weekend or next
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rip Runner
11-24-2010, 10:34 PM
the SeaCraft is all done accept I still need to shrink wrap it. All Winterized, waxed and electronics removed.

The Engines in the Blackfin were taken out yesterday and should be on pallets ready to go away with thier new owner next week. The new engines should be here in about 30 days.

Chunkah
11-30-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm actually waiting for the tide to come in a bit and will be pulling her out in a couple hours. Hoping to winterize the engine late this afternoon then I can clean and cover her tomorrow.

These are indeed sad, sad times.

PRBuzz
11-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Finally did pull it yesterday! Fuel is all topped off and treated. Needs a good wash down, warm/flush the engine with anit-freeze, put the treailer up on blocks, and then put the cover on. Time for a 3-4 month sleep.

Brian L
11-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Just had my last mission today in sweetwater. Ran some freshwater thru the engine and stopped to fish a bit as well. Caught 9 nice bass up to 4lbs. Egads, late March seems a long way away. I plan on putting her to bed on Saturday

PRBuzz
12-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Cover is on. All set for a long winter sleep.

Piscator
12-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Cover is on. All set for a long winter sleep.

Buzz, what kind of cover is that?
Will it really hold the weight of snow?
I have a cover similar that came with my boat but I don't think it will hold the snow weight in the bow. Yours looks like it's a little stronger.
Also, did you do anything special with top of T-Top (support) or just cover it?

PRBuzz
12-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Snow tends to slide right off. I wrap the outrigger bases in towels to prevent ripping but other than that the cover slides right over the T-top. There are 2 short poles with tennis balls that mount in the upper rod holders to also protect cover. I can put up or down by myself. Also the unit has zippers on either side to gain access to the inside.

Bought 3 years ago from:

Specialty boat covers, DEHT, DBT, TST, VST, Covers for Boats with Hard Tops T-Tops Boats with Ski Towers (http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/boat_covers/specialty/6/)

Cover is made custom to fit the boat. If interested call the company don't try to order it via the website.

Piscator
12-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Buzz. I have the same exact cover custom for my boat. I was just worried the weight of snow might rip it.

Mr. Sandman
12-05-2010, 11:25 AM
When I had the seacraft, I tried several different covers, my friend who use to own a boatyard has the gun and stuff to do shrink wrapping. He told me he could make me a shrink wrap cover that would last multiple years and would keep the snow and ice off. I got 3 out of it and would have gotten more but I left it on too long in the spring and insects landed on it and birds came to peck at the insects and they shredded parts of it so I tossed it..but I got 3 years out of a cover that cost me 100 bucks. I had him come back and do my new boat this year. We built a simple (take apart) frame out of 5/4 pre-primed pine so I could have full headroom and open the engine hatch full, then shrink wrapped it with a zippered door in the stern. Instead of shrinking it to the hull all along the bottom like yards do, he folds over the ends inside and wraps a nylon belt all along the hull in the fold. This allows for loosing the belt in the spring to remove the wrap without cutting the plastic. Then in the fall you put up the frame and put the plastic back on, tighten the belt. It is not the prettiest set up but it works and he only charge me for materials (~ 200) so If I get a few years out of this that is sweet. I know of a guy with a regulator who got 5 and heard of someone who got 6 years out of one but I only got 3 out of the last one. I ordered some of that wide white tape so I can patch any holes should they occur. But now I have full headroom, power, and HEAT in there. I was thinking of subletting it to a few illegals but I don't want it messed up.:)

Piscator
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I went back and forth. Was going to leave my normal cover on a cross my fingers but I wussed out as I’m afraid the snow will damage it. Took the day today and made some supports and tossed a heavy duty tarp (20X30) I got at Ocean State on Black Friday for $40.

First Pic is my normal Cover I use “in season” to keep sun, rain and pine needles out.

Second Pic is supports. (I added an additional (removable) brace at the center of forward deck so the PVC would sag from snow weight.

Third Pic is with tarp on.
Tied ger down, jacked her up and now I wait for Spring……..

piemma
12-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Well, i am going to the extreme. After buying the boat of my dreams, my wife is allowing me to build a garage to store it in. We had talked about a big garage for all my equipment. I have 15 acres so there are tractors, mowers attachments, brush cutters, etc.
We had the foundation dug this weekend 32 x 34. 14 foot high door for the boat and a 10 foot for the tractor, etc. Figure it's an investment adding to property value and, what the hell, that's why I am still working at 63 1/2. So I can afford stuff like this.
The down side is I will miss the pour today and some of the site prep as I flew yesterday (Sunday) for a week on the road in FL.

Nebe
12-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Awesome!!!!!!

Well, i am going to the extreme. After buying the boat of my dreams, my wife is allowing me to build a garage to store it in. We had talked about a big garage for all my equipment. I have 15 acres so there are tractors, mowers attachments, brush cutters, etc.
We had the foundation dug this weekend 32 x 34. 14 foot high door for the boat and a 10 foot for the tractor, etc. Figure it's an investment adding to property value and, what the hell, that's why I am still working at 63 1/2. So I can afford stuff like this.
The down side is I will miss the pour today and some of the site prep as I flew yesterday (Sunday) for a week on the road in FL.

Mr. Sandman
12-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Piemma,

That is the way to go no question... I have a friend who has a steel building on a slab. They block up his boat inside close the door and it's done. His has heat, lights and is 20+' wide so it has workbenches tools boat crap etc all inside. It is sweet. Best of luck with it!!

tautog
12-16-2010, 10:37 AM
with Blackfish season closed they backed it into my garage this am. Now it's time for winter projects (although I'd still rather be fishing)
Happy Holidays

Johnny
12-16-2010, 03:40 PM
22' Sisu - On the trailer looking to replace or service aluminum fuel tank. New 115 x 4 Yamy installed so don't reply with anything but good stuff about my already purchased and installed engine. Funny at 17 years old I ran a 57ft scalloper and at 54 I am in a oversized nicely shaped tub. I love it

RIJIMMY
12-16-2010, 05:01 PM

might as well build it double wide. I'll drop mine off each winter...:devil2:

piemma
12-17-2010, 03:50 AM
might as well build it double wide. I'll drop mine off each winter...:devil2:

You! Stay the heck out of my garage!!!:wave:

Mr. Sandman
12-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Piemma,

be sure an post a pic or two...It is a boaters dream to own a boathouse or a boatshed

Nebe
12-18-2010, 08:11 AM
You! Stay the heck out of my garage!!!:wave:

Make it a triple wide and I'll heat it for free ;)

blondterror
12-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Piemma-

can you post a few pics as the framing occurs... love to see buildings go up from the ground to the last coat of paint.... plans for heated workshop in the barn?

piemma
12-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Piemma-

can you post a few pics as the framing occurs... love to see buildings go up from the ground to the last coat of paint.... plans for heated workshop in the barn?

Absolutely!! Framing starts Monday if the weather holds.

I am unsure about the heat. I was going to do a wood stove as I have 15 acres of oak but the idea of leaving a stove going with a boat full of gas gets me nervous. I think I'm gonna do a "salamander" propane unit.

Mr. Sandman
12-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I agree, flames inside a closed room with vented gasoline tanks is not a good idea. How about a external, wood burning boiler like this: Greenwood Aspen Series Outdoor Wood Boiler and Outdoor Wood Furnace (http://www.greenwoodusa.com/aspen-series-outdoor-wood-furnace.php)

piemma
12-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I agree, flames inside a closed room with vented gasoline tanks is not a good idea. How about a external, wood burning boiler like this: Greenwood Aspen Series Outdoor Wood Boiler and Outdoor Wood Furnace (http://www.greenwoodusa.com/aspen-series-outdoor-wood-furnace.php)

Great idea.I would love to but I think we are talking another $8,000 or so without the plumbing.

Johnny
12-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Many boat shops are heated with wood stoves here in Maine, I know of 6 fires in the past 30 years, none od which were a result of the wood stove. All fire were a result of sponsanious combustion from left behind rags, epoxy, resins.......... With 15 ac of oak, I would construct a safe wood stove area/room, you can add a blower cheap. I hate the smell from those salamander heayers while I am working.

Piscator
12-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Absolutely!! Framing starts Monday if the weather holds.

I am unsure about the heat. I was going to do a wood stove as I have 15 acres of oak but the idea of leaving a stove going with a boat full of gas gets me nervous. I think I'm gonna do a "salamander" propane unit.

Current code in MA for a wood stove in a garage is that it has to be a minimum of 18" off the ground on a non combustible surface with properly installed non-combustible backing. I put a wood stove in my garage and had it inspected for code (insurance purposes) but unfortunately, I can't fit my boat in it :wall:

Gets to 80 degrees on the coldest of nights!!!!!

beamie
12-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Current code in MA for a wood stove in a garage is that it has to be a minimum of 18" off the ground on a non combustible surface with properly installed non-combustible backing. I put a wood stove in my garage and had it inspected for code (insurance purposes) but unfortunately, I can't fit my boat in it :wall:

Jeez Piscator,

You went thru the effort of putting the non combustable backing and undersurface and then go and put the big pile of combustable wood within practically the same distance.......the insurace company may be pricks writing you a check seeing that.

BigFish
12-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't recall seeing that code about being 18 inches off a garage floor??? Is it a wood floor??? I have a cement floor so I am guessing not necessary in my case??? Or as many towns do...they institute their own regulations???:confused:

Thats a nice Russo....I had one just like that but it would have been too big for my 14 by 22 shop so I got my hands on a smaller Jotul compliments of BigBo!

Raider Ronnie
12-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Is the bottled beverage there to pour on flames should a fire start !

niko
12-19-2010, 06:48 PM

damn yuppie garage - so when are we having the rigging/drinking/pouring get together?

freebie
12-19-2010, 07:39 PM
damn yuppie garage - so when are we having the rigging/drinking/pouring get together?

Next year he's building the garage bigger so the boat will fit inside. Then he won't have to see it sit in the yard all summer when he can't get permission to go out.....:biglaugh:

Piscator
12-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Next year he's building the garage bigger so the boat will fit inside. Then he won't have to see it sit in the yard all summer when he can't get permission to go out.....:biglaugh:

Ryan, that's my excuse when I don't feel like inviting you on the boat :rotf2:

striperman36
12-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Stand in line for that upgrade.

freebie
12-19-2010, 07:56 PM

ouch....

piemma
12-20-2010, 04:21 AM
First pictures