View Full Version : Secrets To Surf Fishing At Night

Thumper
11-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Just finished reading this book and if you don't have it you should pick it up. Book is packed with info and is a great read. Thanks Zeno and everyone else involved for getting together and reprinting the book.

ivanputski
11-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Cant wait to get it... It's going to make winter that much longer!

Thumper
11-27-2010, 09:10 PM
yes its going to be a longgg winter.

Pete F.
11-27-2010, 10:30 PM
My Birthday present came today, sometimes I wish I was a slow reader. Another great book from SJ

fishbones
11-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I got my copy last wed. and have been reading a chapter here and there. Lots of great info and pics. It's one of those books that you can pick up anytime and read a chapter for a refresher.

Liv2Fish
11-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I just added some of Diagnault's collection to the Christmas list. Do you know where this book is available?

Zeno
11-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Locally?
rivers end in ct, swe and sri in ri, red top should have them tomorow and surfland a day or two after that...some of these stores have big net storefronts too...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F.
11-29-2010, 08:46 PM
The position of the head hook on the rigged eel in Secrets looks different than any I have seen or made. The hook has less of the shank in the body. At first I thought it may be an optical illusion. Any thoughts?

Thumper
11-30-2010, 11:33 AM
The position of the head hook on the rigged eel in Secrets looks different than any I have seen or made. The hook has less of the shank in the body. At first I thought it may be an optical illusion. Any thoughts?

I saw that too. Maybe that was the key as to why he was so successful/protective of his riggies. The only thing I could think of was maybe the eel swims better not having the entire shank of the hook down the throat while the hook still acts like a keel. But would that even make a difference? Maybe something to do with the hook set? Hopefully Z will chime in on this.

Zeno
12-02-2010, 04:55 AM
I honestly never even thought about it...good observation, I rigged my eels with a hook much deeper that in picture...I wish Al was still around so we can ask him...I miss that man

JohnR
12-02-2010, 08:42 AM
It is a pretty skinny eel, and a fairly large hook, with the hook seemingly exiting the eel earlier than if the shank ran parallel with the bottom of the eel.

Hey Z - Got it - thanks!

DZ
12-02-2010, 08:57 AM
When i first picked up an original edition of this book many years ago I also noticed that particular photo. It had me puzzeld as any eel I rigged with the head hook in that configuration always tended to spin. I think it just happend that way when he rigged it for the photo shoot. More likely it was just a mistake... but who knows - maybe Al wanted his readers to be more attentive? As all eel riggers know - some eels no matter how good they look after rigging just will not swim correctly and others that don't look right to you - look very good to the bass.

This book was the one reference that always reinforced what I had learned about striped bass fishing up until the time I read it. It is still one of my favorites and I highly recommend it. Thanks to Z for bringing it back.

DZ

BassDawg
12-05-2010, 08:13 AM
i've had an original copy for two years, NOW~~~

will open it, TODAY~~ after the tree, chores, and the NFL.
:grins: :grins: :grins:

Rob Rockcrawler
12-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Just cracked it last night. Good read so far.

ivanputski
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Anyone notice the incredible disappearing eel? Look closely

Needmore Salts
12-07-2010, 07:28 PM

hmmm???

Thumper
12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Not in any of the pics?

Pete F.
12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Ok, now I'll have to look for the disappearing eel.

Clogston29
12-08-2010, 07:11 AM

yup, noticed it a few times in Z's books :)

Clogston29
12-08-2010, 07:16 AM

i rig mine similar to the photo (probably because the book is where i learned to rig them), maybe not quite as much of the shank exposed, but alot of it. i think al and frank d discussed it a few years back on the site that frank used to have a forum on (can't remember the name now) and the idea was for the hook to act as a keel, and more exposed shank is more keel.

BassDawg
12-08-2010, 07:41 AM

is that in Zeno's reprint, or

does the eeeeel disappear in the original also??

decksweeper
12-08-2010, 07:53 AM
is that in Zeno's reprint, or

does the eeeeel disappear in the original also??

Front over? When I took that Picture I remember seeing an Eel hanging out of Jimmy's fish!

BassDawg
12-08-2010, 09:39 AM
that's ironic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ya beat me to it!! after i posted that i saw the eel/squid(?) around the cow's dorsal as it enters the surf, there.

looks like a squid to me, though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,see the fins on the side of the striper pressed against the back at the end of a tapered body? also the eyes look huge and protruded like a squid's would?

i'm talking about the Original printing, however, or maybe i'm seeing things??

which one is it Pete??

jim sylvester
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
picture was taken with eel ibn mouth, as i was walking out of the water with the fish...decksweeper took the photo.

Picture that has no eel hanging is the same picture, that Z photod eliminating the eel as he used ithe photo for his book about fishing with plugs

BassDawg
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
i rig mine similar to the photo (probably because the book is where i learned to rig them), maybe not quite as much of the shank exposed, but alot of it. i think al and frank d discussed it a few years back on the site that frank used to have a forum on (can't remember the name now) and the idea was for the hook to act as a keel, and more exposed shank is more keel.

yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

but that MUCH exposed shank, not being tight to the eel's body
does not equate to keel in my mind. more like a rudder that is dislodged,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
i do like the copper globule to help to secure the head.

nothing SUX worse than an riggie that won't stand-up to the rigors of it's first "snagging" and release. i think it is Daignault that uses a copper spike soldered to the shank and he skewers the head behind the eyes to prevent slippage, no?

i do stitch the eye of the vent hook with my worn out PPro, don't use chain(though i might after reading this), and do push the head hook eye into the throat like Skinner does. been using his method with some Veracka, Babikian, and Dawgistic modifications.
:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

GREAT read, so far!!

Clogston29
12-09-2010, 06:41 AM
don't have the book in front of me, so i don't know if its that much, but this is how I do mine. they swim well and usually stand up to a few fish. the tail hooks are usually what come loose eventually and lead to me having to go to a new eel, not the head.

i find the copper and flux to be a PIA, and used steel epoxy to create the same effect with much less work. i posted a picture on here a while back. I rig the head such that the epoxy "ball" is right against the throat of the eel and tie it off on both sides.

I also use cable ties to reinforce and protect the dacron, but all the actual tieing is done with dacron.

BassDawg
12-09-2010, 08:19 AM
don't have the book in front of me, so i don't know if its that much, but this is how I do mine. they swim well and usually stand up to a few fish. the tail hooks are usually what come loose eventually and lead to me having to go to a new eel, not the head.

i find the copper and flux to be a PIA, and used steel epoxy to create the same effect with much less work. i posted a picture on here a while back. I rig the head such that the epoxy "ball" is right against the throat of the eel and tie it off on both sides.

I also use cable ties to reinforce and protect the dacron, but all the actual tieing is done with dacron.

those look SWEEEET!

i don't use as many cable ties as that, but those look very "offerable"!!

i am becoming MORE of a believer of these lures with each season.
:grins: :grins: :grins:

Surf Caster
12-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Just cracked my copy tonight. looking fwd to reading it