View Full Version : Ditch Jigging w/ Arra 1205

luds
11-29-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm hoping to try some jigging next year. Hopefully will get into it and go a bunch. The preferred rod for this seems to have been the AS 1209 and more recently the SC Mojo has gained popularity.

I have an unusually stout Arra1205. I have another of the same blank but for whatever reason this one seems much heavier. Probably produced at 2 different times.

Can i expect this rod to meet my jigging needs? Really don't want to buy another stick. I've thrown some heavy plugs to 5 oz. with it without any problem but up to what ounce jig can I expect to throw/work with a 1205? Anyone use the 1205 for this application?

JohnR
11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm not a Ditch expert but I understand lots of 1205s are in use (and have been) for some time. Usually more conventional than spin but it is certainly strong & versatile enough to use there.

There may be better suited rods to use for specific purposes but a 1205 should be fine.

What color is the blank?

awall630
11-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm pretty sure they recently changed the rating of those blanks, so I could believe that one feels heavier than the other. Correct me if I am wrong. I did a little jigging with an ssu1201mh, the 1205 is similar and has a faster tip. Should make an alright all-around canal rod. It will throw 3 and 4 oz jigs if you need to, but I would say that its better suited for a canal plugging setup obviously. A rod suited for both will mean a slight compromise on both ends.

luds
11-29-2010, 02:11 PM
No 2 Lami's I've ever owned have felt exactly the same but the difference between these two is greater. I am confident that they are both 1205 blanks. The newer blank is black and the older one is more of a burgandy.

Mike P
11-29-2010, 03:41 PM
I have never seen a black XRA blank. The newer ones are a darker burgundy than the originals, but they all should be some shade of brown or burgundy.

The 1205 is a fine jigging rod for up to 4-5 oz. I bought a convetional 1205 from Bob Samuelson 5 years ago, and it's been my main jigging rod since, for the occasions/locations when I still jig with a convetional. For my money, it's a better rod for 3-4 oz jigs than the 126 1MH. It's easier to lift/work a jig with a faster-taper rod, and the 126 is very parabolic.

luds
11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
I have never seen a black XRA blank. The newer ones are a darker burgundy than the originals, but they all should be some shade of brown or burgundy.

The 1205 is a fine jigging rod for up to 4-5 oz. I bought a convetional 1205 from Bob Samuelson 5 years ago, and it's been my main jigging rod since, for the occasions/locations when I still jig with a convetional. For my money, it's a better rod for 3-4 oz jigs than the 126 1MH. It's easier to lift/work a jig with a faster-taper rod, and the 126 is very parabolic.

Thanks. I'll have to check the color when I get home. Thought it was black.

luds
11-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Do you guys think having a high speed reel is a necessity? I was thinking about grabbing a Saltist 6000 or should I just stick with my Saltiga 4500?

I hate having to move my reels from rod to rod so I could be easily convinced to get a new reel. Prefer to just be able to grab a set up and go. Just don't see getting anything too high end as justifiable. I'll never spend as much time jigging as I do in the surf.

MAKAI
11-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I have the 1205, used to be conventional. Changed it to spinning with a VS 275 for jigging the ditch. Great for jigs up to 5 , launches pencils and has enough backbone to put the boots to the fish.
Bet I have had that blank over 20+ yrs, Roy from franklin spun it up for me way back.:uhuh:

t.orlando
11-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Do you guys think having a high speed reel is a necessity? I was thinking about grabbing a Saltist 6000 or should I just stick with my Saltiga 4500?

I have used my 4500's for jigging and everything else in the canal, you will be fine. Sure, a faster retrieve would be nice, but not completely neccessary. Unless you plan on hardcore everynite jigging, save your $$.

Saltheart
11-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Its the best rod for jigging the canal IMO. I use a conventional reel (BG7000CL). At one time I could esily cast 150 yards with it. If I were a spinner man I might go to the 1209 but even then it becomes a much more physical activity to cast that beast. You're young , you might like the extra distance you can get using the 1209 with a big spinner , that's a judgement call for you. The 1205 is easy to cast , you can totally control the jig and there is no fish that you will hook into where the rod will be your limitation.

I also Jig 2 to 4 OZ and use 3 where I can but 4 is no issue for the rod. Many throw 5 with it. On the other hand you won't like a 1209 for throwing 2 and maybe not for 3 . Most guys using the 1209 use the 4 as their bread and butter jig while I use the 3. They go to 6 on the 1209 but I sometimes do 4 , seldom 5 , never 6. No need the way I do it. Depends how you jig. I work all the angles and run the jigs along very specific predetermined routes but I am limited to the max distance I can cast it. With a 1209 , you will get more distance with a spinner but then you have a lot of line out and controling the jig gets to be tougher. As usual there's plus and minuses to each technique.

So anyway , go use it , you will like it.

JamesJet
11-30-2010, 07:39 AM
That 1205 is my preferred plugging rod and its launches 3oz. I also do some light jigging with it - up to 3, slower tide areas/stages with sluggos. I never thought of throwing 4s. I really like the 1209 for heavier stuff as it just lifts the jig so effortlessly - plus it has the backbone to throw the big shads.

If you want to try the 1209 I have a Rainshadow in conventional and an allstar in spinning. Just let me know. One thing is that its not all about the cast IMO its how it handles the jig so you may want to meet down at the ditch.

I ride with both on my bike, but if I only had one it would easily be the 1205. My only complaint is the rod has some reverb after the cast. I heard if you get it custom wrapped the guides can be aligned better and it really ups performance.

The Dad Fisherman
11-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Hey Mike, I got a Rainshadow 1209 in spinning that I use for the Canal if you ever want to take it for a spin....just let me know. Lot of backbone in that blank.....can really heave a 6 oz. jig.....and has a good feel for it bouncing the bottom.

zimmy
11-30-2010, 08:30 AM
I used my 1205 spinning with a 4500 saltiga more in the canal this year for jigging than my 1209 w/ em-pro. It is much nicer to cast and I love the action of the rod when fighting fish. I still have more confidence in the 1209 around the abutments, but that said, I haven't felt under-gunned in any way with the 1205. I throw up to 5 oz with it, although I often switch to the 1209 if the current is strong enough to warrant 5. Short answer based on what you wrote- yes it will be totally suitable.

stripermaineiac
11-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I've got a couple 1205's and a couple ssu120 mh that I built in spin an conventional. They have handled 5 oz in the ditch and off the Waque rip and other such places.Landed some very nice fish whenit was ripping and even had fun with 4oz plugs with them. I tried to break the ist one and couldn't do it with an 8 oz cannon ball just to see if it would hold up. I build them an wouldn't recomend this, but the rod handled it well. A little soft moving the jig but it did hold up with the 65lb power pro.Had no problem getting well past mid cannal with 4 an 5 oz lead heads and threw pencils as good as my 11 ftrs did. hope this helps . Ron

rickhern
12-03-2010, 04:12 PM
This is clearly a terrific rod for most people, but for me, I just couldn't get the feel of it. I have several 126MH's and a 1321 cut down to 10'(1204) that I think are terrific. I also love the GSB 1321M. I picked up a 1205 ast year after hearing all the accolades and sold it a month later. Too stiff and fast for me. I found my timing on my casts had to be perfect and I couldn't realy lean into a cast or the plug(stick shads) would tumble. The 126 was much easier to cast, for me. Anyone else have the same experience or am I a lone idiot?

clambelly
12-03-2010, 04:30 PM
1205 is the only rod i use. plugs and lead. if there's one thing i hate it's carrying to much stuff with me. my main objective was to find a rod that could do both well, and this one fit the bill. after jigging a tide with 4oz though, your shoulders might be a little sore!

zimmy
12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
after jigging a tide with 4oz though, your shoulders might be a little sore!

no matter what rod you use :devil2: