View Full Version : Jack Niclaus scorecard

ecduzitgood
11-30-2010, 11:25 AM
How would I go about finding out what the value of this scorecard is? My father knew Jack back in the day even went fishing on his boat my mother had a sailfish mounted that she caught on his boat and it hangs in the den, Eddie Germano even did a cartoon of them with Jack and my parents posing for a picture with the fish where my dad is crying because she caught a bigger fish so I know it's real, Jack gave him this and he gave it to me saying it was worth a lot.

The Dad Fisherman
11-30-2010, 11:39 AM
it depends....is it a scorecard from a tournament he won? or just a tournament he was in. the value would be a lot more if he won the tourney. if not the value probably lies in the autograph on it.

autographs go up in value when that person passes away too.....can't get any more.

also it wouldn't hurt to get a certificate of authenticity for it.....those are important when trying to sell memorabilia.

and remember its only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

ecduzitgood
11-30-2010, 11:46 AM
He did win, it's from the 1967 US Open final round, how do you get it certified and is it even worth it or should I just keep it for a gift to someone down the road, I've got one nephew and three nieces.

nightfighter
11-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Write him a letter asking him to authenticate the legitimacy of it. He did after all give it to your father. Not like you are someone coming out of left field asking him.....

Saltheart
11-30-2010, 12:59 PM
My guess is its worth a ton of money. I agree getting some sort of certification from him would increase the marketability (and therefore the value) but I bet just as is its worth several thousands , and maybe more after he's gone. Now I'm no expert but when I see a ball signed by Hank arron at $600+ and there must be many of these and compare it to the signed final round score card of Jack Nicklaus winning the US Open, I think its worth Thousands.

The Dad Fisherman
11-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Go through a company like this to get it certified.

Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) & PSA/DNA Authentication Services (http://www.psacard.com/)

I doubt Jack will get back to you in all honesty

ecduzitgood
11-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Go through a company like this to get it certified.

Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) & PSA/DNA Authentication Services (http://www.psacard.com/)

I doubt Jack will get back to you in all honesty

Maybe he will get back to my father, although it's been a long time, 30+years and I remember when I was real young meeting him and being amazed by his golf bag which he had in his office, it was bigger than me at the time. I'll hit storage and get the Eddie Germano drawing/cartoon and post a pict. Here's the Sailfish......
Thanks guys, I'm not going to get my hopes up but it would be nice to know it's value.

The Dad Fisherman
11-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Maybe he will get back to my father, although it's been a long time, 30+years

Sports Memorabilia is big business now....even if Jack gets back to your dad.....its still only going to be a piece of paper w/ the same writing as the one your selling saying yup...i signed it. Still don't know if its Jacks signature on both of them.

a real collector is going to want it authenticated by a reputable firm......

ecduzitgood
11-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Sports Memorabilia is big business now....even if Jack gets back to your dad.....its still only going to be a piece of paper w/ the same writing as the one your selling saying yup...i signed it. Still don't know if its Jacks signature on both of them.

a real collector is going to want it authenticated by a reputable firm......

Good point:btu: might have to put it on the back burner till I can afford to do it. Thanks

afterhours
11-30-2010, 04:09 PM
that is soooo cool!! jack is the greatest golfer ever :) tiger who?... hogan who?...bobby who?...jacks the man- '86 masters greatest victory by the greatest golfer.

Saltheart
11-30-2010, 10:27 PM
I also think Jack was a great one but its hard to say who the best was/is do the huge change in equipment over the years. The sweet spot on clubs is huge now compared to when Jack was playing and the modern titanium drivers change the game completely IMO. Its still drive for show and putt for doe but the puts are a lot shorter when you are hitting a 7 iron instead of a 3 iron for your approach shot.

Bobby Jones was something else too. Again , hard to span the time gap to say who was best.

pmueller
12-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Post something on this website, they may have a thread for stuff like this.
golfwrx.com or something like that. Its one of the single best websites for golf.
Jack is still the man. Especially with the Tiger hiccup lately.
One of the most gracious competitors the world has seen. Certainly one of the best pressure putters.