View Full Version : Kayak Shopping

Pauleye
11-30-2010, 11:31 AM
I will start to look for a pair of yak-like devices for me and my 11 yo son. They will be mostly used in freshwater lakes and ponds but also the occasional salty trip.

SOT were the rage a few years ago. I am thinking of Wilderness Systems Tarpon or Cobra Navigator. Hobie is out of the question because of both cost and weight. I have a herniated disk.

Here's the questions: Are SOTs still popular and in may cases preferred over SInKs? If I go with a SOT, what do you wear in the spring and fall to stay dry and warm?

The Dad Fisherman
11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
The SOTS are preffered because of the easy on/off when dealing w/ the surf conditions. If you are just doing fresh and back bays/estuaries a sit in would probably be fine.

fishbones
11-30-2010, 12:14 PM
I have a SOT and in the colder weather, I wear dry pants and a dry top over lined running pants and a sweatshirt. No problems yet, but I haven't tipped it either. I was planning on picking up a wetsuit this winter for spring yak fishing but haven't really looked into it yet.

blondterror
11-30-2010, 01:12 PM
If you want a sit in kayak... the Wilderness Systems Pungo 12 and 14 models are great... I have 2 Pungos up at Lake Sunapee and they track well, are very stable, and are easy to get in and out. Plus... since the Pungo has been out and is a very popular yak... it is relatively easy to find used ones in great condition.

For surf fishing in the salt I use my Hobie Revolution but I ised my Pungo 12 in the surf for 4 yrs before I bought the Hobie and the Pungo did very well.

Pauleye
12-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Anyone use a Malibu kayak?

Rockport24
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Malibu's are good too and should treat you well, they seem pretty bulkey to me, just looking at them, but I've never paddled one. They seem to be a respected brand though.

Also, just to make a point here. Even if you are using a sit-in you should use dry gear (dry pants and a dry top or the wader-dry top combo) when the water temps are cold, because if you go in the drink without dry gear, you will be in a world of trouble if you don't get out in like 30 seconds and it is much harder to get back into a sit-in if you dump out of it.

jredfly
12-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I kayak and fish with my kids. I own 2 SOTs - one tandem Ocean Kayak (OK) Malibu (model from OK not the brand Malibu) and one OK Scrambler (single). We like them a lot and I feel safe in them but they are a bit on the heavy side. I was checking out the Malibu that you are interested in and they look really nice and they have recieved good reviews. I talked to some dealers on them and if they have any left-overs they were willing to deal. I got pretty good deals on mine on craigslist so keep your eyes open. Try and get some extras such as a paddle, pfd and seat thrown in. It all adds up. Good Luck!!! :uhuh: