View Full Version : Ice fishing Starter kit

JohnR
12-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Thinking about ice fishing with the kid and another kid & parent.

What is the minimum? Obviously the tip ups and there is the ice breaking thing. Shiners and live bait bucket. What else to go in all minimum like?

Thinking light weight, no sled or sled haven't decided.

Thanks,

John

Circlehook
12-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I've been wondering the same thing, I live on a lake now.

Pauleye
12-01-2010, 11:08 AM
First of PM me if you need more specific help and I'll be glad to help. I ice fishing a lot. At a minimum I recommend 4 to 6 Polar tip ups. These are simple, black plastic framed tip-ups. Small and lightwieght so you can fit all of them in 1, 5 gallon bucket. Fill the spools with around 35 pound test dacron line (color does not matter). Add a tiny Spro swivel and fluoro leader (about 4'-6'). If your regs allow then fish with a small treble hook (size 8 or 6 for bass) instead of a single. Strike the fish as soon as you get to the tip-up. Put a split shot about 1' above the hook.

Get a small plano box and put the extra terminal tackle plus a few swedish pimples and Northland ice fishing jigs. Buy 2 jigging rod set-ups. Get good one becasue the difference in price will be small. I jig with fly fishing tippet as a leader to 6 or 8 lb braid.

MOST IMPORTANT- Buy a high quality hand drill like the Nils Master or Strikemaster Laser. This will make the laborious task of drilling much easier and you'll actually not mind drilling more holes when the ones you already drilled are not producing. Again the cost difference between one of these and the value models is not much. A great anology is having a snowblower vs shovelling.

I can recommend CT places that can help you get geared up.

Next year buy a Vexilar and a whole new ice fishing world will open up.

The Dad Fisherman
12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Get yourself a 1/2 a dozen tip-ups
a Couple of jigging rods (kids like to be active...not sitting around drinking beers and waiting for flags)
scour around for some skis to make a cheap sled
you can get a hand auger......6" or 7" will do for you
a Minnow bucket (I use old kitty litter buckets.....I can even save one for you from the next batch)
a hand net to fish out minnows
some hooks
some splitshot weights
You can use your korkers on the ice.

I'm finding the best part of Ice fishing.....is its friggin cheap. A jigging rod can be had for $20-$25...tip-ups you can get for about $100 for the 1/2 dozen.

Search Craigslist....there is always stuff on there

Hope this helps

Pauleye
12-01-2010, 11:13 AM
See for ice fishing tips:
HT Enterprises Official Web Site (http://www.icefish.com/)

St Coix makes awesome jigging rods and it costs about $20 per rod. Genz rod/reel combos are nice also. Dave Genz is the Lefty Kreh of ice fishing.

awall630
12-01-2010, 11:19 AM
You can use your korkers on the ice.

...why have I never thought of this, THANK YOU.

I just started last year, made it out around 30 times with a sled from ace hardware, 2 5gal buckets from home depot, a HT bucket seat that I threw on the bucket I kept my tilts in once they were set up, and some shiners. Its a blast, went out with my buddy and his younger brother a few times, your kid is going to love it.

Saltheart
12-01-2010, 11:33 AM
You need tilts as you mentioned. You need an ice chisel or auger. For around here usually a chisel will do since we seldom get 2 feet of ice. The chisel should be narrow at the business end. The wide ones make it harder to dig. maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide and sharp . You need the spaghetti scoop looking thing to keep the ice and snow slush out of the holes. You need some hand line that you can grab so no too thin. I like a fiber braid not mono. You need a leader for the last several feet. You need some hooks. you need fairly small for trout and a little bigger to liveline shiners for bass , pikeral , perch , pike etc. You shiner bucket has to be insulated or you will lose them on the really cold mornings. The metal buckets will freeze. The best thing seems to be to get a styrofoam bucket cheap but then put it inside a plastic or metal bucket. Without the metal bucket holding it , the foam bicket will break in no time. The foam bucket is in fact the best insulated one so combining them gives you a good set up.

In addition to shiners , I like to fish grub worms and power bait for trout. Shiners are fine for native fish but a wad of powerbait on a very small treble with a single grub worm wiggling its tail works good for trout. I like the purple power bait but orange is sometimes good too. The grub should just be stuck straight through its tail , not threaded on the hood. You want it to be 80 free to wiggle. All tyhe baits should be tried at various depth below the ice. I have found most fish are caught about 3 feet down but in some areas you need to try deeper. I would start at 3 feet down and then every now and then lower some . when you find the depth they are biting , put all the baits at that depth. I think depth is probably the biggest thing in ice fishing. I think the fish find a layer with a temp they like and cruise around at that depth.

A lot of people use corn. Some ponds and mabe even some state laws ban corn. Some chum the hole with corn and use other baits on their hook to skirt the no corn rules. I think its best to talk to people at the various locals to get a feel for that places ideas on corn.

If you really want to be prepared you should have a jigging rod. These are sold cheap at various department stores. Of course you will need sone jigs. The basics are swedish pimples and I like the tiny like 2 inch minnows that have a wingy shaped tail they swim sideways as you jig up and down. Orange works good.

You need creepers to be safe. Guys our age and size get destroyed if our feet slip out from under us and we land on our tail bone. If the pond is cobered with snow then the creepers may be optional but clean smooth ice you really need something on your feet to dig in a little.

Mittens and good warm boots are important. Your core may stay warm but your finger tips and toes will get cold. I use big leather , overstiffed mittens. You tale them off to do the tying , baiting etc but for standing around (ice fishing is 95 percent standing around unless you are jigging) mittens work better than gloves. My boots are Sorels rated to 85 below. I never fished when the temp was less than 14 below and your toes get cold even with the best boots. walking around helps.

I never carry a gaff. I never used a wind shield but they would help some days , especially with the samll boy. Kust a one sided windbreak is a big help. Since you will be taking your son you need to be way more prepared than if you are just going yourself. I suggest you buy him a plain old sled he ca use to slide but you can also lash stuff on it with bungie cords to drag your stuff onto the ice.

Where possible , I looked for spots near a road , even a dirt one or parking lot where you can set your tilrs and then sit in the warm car and wait for a flag. No its not outdoorsy he-man stuff but you'll get enough of that in places where you just can't set up near the car.

I carried a Peak one stove in the car. Its 5 x5 x5 cube takes up almost no space but being able to heat water for coffee or hot cocao is a real luxury.

Be warm. Doesn't matter if you look like a polar beer but if you get cold , its hard to get warm again so try to stay warm.

A knife with scissors or a seperate pair of scissors. I use a swiss army knife with scissors. A light for early morning. i think the new LCD flashlights or your surf fishing head lamp work good. Often , if you get into it , you may be fishing for an hour or two in poor lite both in the morning and at sunset.

The latest thing I see is the handwarmer mittens. You put a chemical pack in them and the pack generates heat. I think its not essential 90 percent of the time but if its bitter cold , you will think they were worth it,

One of the most important pieces of clothing is a hood or cloth flight helmet. Best for the head (where you lose most of your body heat) is a flight helmet , a hooded sweatshirt hood over that and a nylon or other windbreaking hood on your outer jacket.

like all things in the cold , layers are best. A cotton T shirt against your skin , a waffles shirt over that , a button shirt of wool over that , the Hooded sweatshirt over that and the outer coat with wind breaker shell and plenty of insulation and a second one with just the windbreaker shell (hood on both ) and no insulation for the less bitter days. You of course remove and add layers as the temp changes to warmer in the morning and colder at night. You also need to change layers as the wind picks up. Wind chill is very important on the ice since you generally have nothing around you like trees , etc to break the wind.

From 1986 to about 1997 I iced fished a lot. I was on the ice maybe 5 days a week for about 5 or 6 of those years. The rest of the time maybe 1 or 2 days a week plus weekends sometimes and for tournaments. Do keep your ears open for tourneys in stocked ponds. get there and be ready at the first bell because 70 percent of the fish are caught in the first hours. Stocked b ponds are about the best way to garantee a decent fish which I think is important for a little kid just starting. We are used to decades of skinked streaks in the surf but a little kid wants to catch a fish. Even just one makes a big difference in how he feels about going.

I would think its a super oppurtunity to be with your son. Since you mostly wait for a flag , you have plenty of time to talk to him. Ideal situation I think vs the hsutle bustle of fishing with a kid along the shore line.

Hope this post helps others besides John in getting started in ice fishing. I'm sure I missed a few things but its a good start.

JamesJet
12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
All the above info is great.

A sled really helps. Not saying a home made condo is needed but simply a sled. Most plastic kids sleds will do, but I have found there are better optons like a "calf sled" or cement tub with ropes. And dont forget the food. When not fishing the kids (and you) should be eating. Some sort of grill/fire pail is great for marshmellows and hot dogs on a stick, but coleman stove and or simply thermos with hot soup in it is OK too if traveling light.

Wax worms and jigging pole. I buy my wax worms at Pet Smart but if you are getting Minnows anyways then you can get them at the B&T. Little ice jigs work very well and I love catching bluegills and crappie all day, teh kids will too.

ICE PICKS. These go around your neck and essentially are spikes in case you fall in. I never have, but these will make it much easier to pull out if it ever were to happen.

CAMERA. I have a ton of great family phots from growing up out on the ice and cabnt wait till my sons are old enough.

numbskull
12-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Ice Picks for sure. I've been through the ice and getting out is near impossible. You owe it to your son to be wearing them.

The Dad Fisherman
12-01-2010, 12:09 PM
A sled really helps. Not saying a home made condo is needed but simply a sled.

I'm appalled....what are you trying to say :hihi:

JohnR
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Cool info - thanks!

Ice Picks for sure. I've been through the ice and getting out is near impossible. You owe it to your son to be wearing them.

TDF showed me how he had them as a Scout project, 8" or so dowels 1" thick IIRC with nails coming out the end, joined by rope.

Don't need it until you really need it type of thing.

Rockfish9
12-01-2010, 12:33 PM

I used to lean towards the condo with enough gear inside to survive for a month....the older I get the lighter I like to travel...

Ice fishing can be as complicated or simple as you make it... the first pictue is of my old sled ( now retired for a lighter model) the second picture is of one of our week end outings... it shows the variaty of items that can be used to carry gear as well as a potable shelter ( nice to have when kids ar involved)

JackK
12-01-2010, 12:58 PM
While I'm by no means an expert, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that common sense is the most important thing in ice fishing. Be POSITIVE that the ice is 100% safe to go out on. Stay off of thin & pack ice! If by some chance you hear some serious cracking, lay flat to spread your weight. We always keep a long section of rope with a weight on one end to throw to someone if they get trapped on a thin patch. Had to use it once last year on the cape... My friend was OK, but definitely a scary situation.

Craigslist is a great place to go for traps... I got 5 for $20 last year. For some nice ones (a little pricier, but good) check out Indian Hill Ice Traps. Always good to support the local guy.

I've heard that a mealworm/salmon egg combo is great for trout.

Other than that, the info listed is all great. I'm really looking forward to it this year... I hear the Cape Ann area has some great ponds for ice trout.

Saltheart
12-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Ice picks is a good idea and I think worth having. I think if you are taking Liam there should be absolutely no doubt that the ice is safe anywhere he may rome.

2 feet of ice will hold a pickup truck , 2 inches is not safe for anybody. yes , you must use your head for sure.

Nice sled R9! :)

RoyL
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM
John if guys want to get out with me during the winter just let me know. Id be more then happy to try and put the kids on some large fish. I fishing is great and a lot of fun.

JamesJet
12-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Hey - Mine is a condo too - its just not needed off the bat. Heck my buddies weighs a good 100lbs since he brings logs for the fire bucket. Depending on snow conditions sometimes the sled is better and is smoother.I'll try and post pictures of my sled at some point.

Drop me a PM once the ice sets up - a NS Ice fishing get together would be a good time.

JohnR
12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
John if guys want to get out with me during the winter just let me know. Id be more then happy to try and put the kids on some large fish. I fishing is great and a lot of fun.

Might give you a shout ;)

Drop me a PM once the ice sets up - a NS Ice fishing get together would be a good time.

Check out TABBIT on the top thread here

harritchate
12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
you can buy a 3 pack of basic traps from #^&#^&#^&#^&s sporting goods for $16. I have always used the cheapest traps and have never had an issue catching fish with them.

best piece of equipment for ice fishing- balaclava. followed closely by ice armour gloves

The Dad Fisherman
12-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Kittery Trading Post had 40-up traps for 19.99 a 2 pack last night when I stopped in.

Rappin Mikey
12-02-2010, 09:04 AM
I'd definitely say to spring for the sled. The Jet Sleds are good. I think there are similar versions that are cheaper and just as durable though.

FishermanTim
12-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Let's see, here is what I consider to be the basic gear for a day on the ice.

Transport: I started with an old plastic sled and moved up to a JetSled. Although it may be bulky, it can handle a lot of gear.

Access: I started with an 8" hand auger and added a 10" power auger, because hand-cranking through a foot of ice is a real pain. If $$ is limited, see if you can borrow someone's auger beforehand or ask if someone on the ice would mind if you could cut a few holes with theirs. You'd be surprised that many ice anglers don't mind helping others.
(the only exception might be during a derby, but that's another topic.) As for ice chisels (spuds), they are helpful in opening up old holes and chipping through shallow ice, but if you are planning on cutting through 10" with a spud you better have a good back and lots of time!

You will need an ice scoop to clear the ice from feshly cut holes.

Tip ups/traps (depending on what style to favor: 6 is a good number to start with. Rigged with braid. Not Powerpro or Fireline but regular 20-30 lb. icefishing line with a barrel swivel and mono/flouro leader.
The leader can be as long as you want, but doesn't need to be really long. I use anywhere from 1-2 feet. The hook is a matter of choice. Some use J-hooks, others use circle hooks. I use both. J-hooks on the jigging rods and circle hooks on the tip-ups.

Light/Ultralight Jiggin rods: one for each person with 2-4 lb. test mono.

Bait: small-medium shiners and some dillies (small nightcrawlers) shiners for the traps and dillies for the rods.
bait bucket and dip net for getting bait out. I also use a battery powered air pump to keep the bait really lively. It also helps slow down the freezing of the water in the bait bucket.

Tackle: Sometimes you will lose tackle due to toothy fish, gut hooks or snags, so extra swivels, hooks and leaders are good. Also bring micr jigs and an assortment of small lures. I carry micro crappie jigs and small trout spoons for jigging if I don't have worms.

Comfort: a camp chair (I've done my time sitting on a bucket) some food and beverage (hot cocoa, cookies and bottled water).

Safety: Ice picks, ice cleats, 50" of rope, matches, extra clothes and blanket (in car/truck) Trust me, I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Lastly, remember to have fun. Most ice anglers are friendly and enjoy talking with other anglers.

Saltheart
12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
One thing I didn't mention about the ice chisel. The idea is to shave the ice off in layers to make the hole. You should not be pounding down at a right angle to the ice. I guy who really knows how to use a good chisel will make a hole faster than a guy with an hand ice auger as long as the ice is say 12 inches or less. The ice chisel also allows you to make the holes any size you want. You are going to have a problem if you hook a 7 or 8 ound bass if your hole is just 6 inches in diameter. I've seen people lose nice fish because the hole was too small. I think 6 is too small , 8 inches ins minimum and 10 still not too big.

Vogt
12-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Kittery Trading Post had 40-up traps for 19.99 a 2 pack last night when I stopped in.

40-Up's are my favorite :love:

WoodyCT
12-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Korkers are the ticket on glare ice!

You can easily outsprint your non-spike equipped buddies to a flag.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

mag minnow
12-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I've downsized over the years on what I carry out onto the ice but a sled to me is the minimum. You can build one from found items. People dumping old skis etc...Kids would like building a sled up and tricking it out with boxes with false bottoms so you can store a coleman stove, misc. items, add rod holders and other compartments...Mandatory for me is sunglasses and sunscreen.

Stewie
12-02-2010, 06:59 PM
John, you need to bring, or make sure someone brings, A Coleman stove, hot dogs, rolls, relish and mustard(no ketchup), also a coffee pot, water, instant coffee, Swiss Miss cocoa, and milk for the coffee and cocoa. This year we may add popcorn, so that will require additional cooking equipment.

It's also a good idea to bring Eddie, he's an excellent ice tester.:jump1:

Green Light
12-02-2010, 10:22 PM
How about one of those "thingies" that help remove ice from the hole? I have a metal one and it works great. I did not go with the plastic ones because a wise ice fisherman said that they to crack.

FishermanTim
12-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Unless the pond has a regulation against it, build a small fire on shore for cooking and just keeping warm between flag runs. I've even gone as far as bringing an old metal washtub (oval shape about 25" long and 15" wide. I've used it to hold a small fire on the ice without leaving any ashes behind. I've even used metal trashcan lids as well.
They won't melt and the ice below will create a puddle to be used to put out the embers when you are done.

Most shorelines have plenty of dead wood suitable for burning.

I figure that the less I have to carry, the better.

The Dad Fisherman
12-03-2010, 11:29 PM

Right now they have them on sale for $15.99 a 2-pack

http://www.ktp.com/product.php/pid/3/sid/41/tid/740/prodid/33280

Mugz
12-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Saw a great deal on great ice fishing tip ups today if anyone is starting out and wants some quality traps that will last.....Bill's Bait & Tackle in Norton has 5 Heritage laker Tip Ups WITH LINE for $100 + tax. That is a great deal as if you were going to buy a single trap it would be around $30. I think he is only open weekends till we get good quality local ice.

JohnnySaxatilis
12-09-2010, 02:30 PM
waterproof pants and boots are the first thing i think of. Don't forget the shades either. if the suns out its BRIGHT. and hot tottie obviously. and beers. and food. and hot tottie.......... and then dump the rest of the hot tottie in the thermous and drink it.

FishermanTim
12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I had purchased tip-ups online from K-Mart over 10 years back.
They were HT tip-ups (soory,I don't recall the exact model) and came with a 4" spool.
I've got a total of 15 traps, 8 jigging rods, 8" hand auger and 10" power auger. 6 rod holders (2 that clip ons and 4 stand ups)
I have a wide selection of hooks, jigs, spoons and plastics.
I have over a hald dozen pairs of creepers, a pair of picks and a spud.

Now all we need is good, solid ice!

The Dad Fisherman
12-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Saw this at #^&#^&#^&#^&s for $200....not a bad way to start. Add some Tipups, a scoop, and a minnow bucket and you are good to go.

Starter Kit by Clam Corporation (http://www.clamcorp.com/Shelters/PopUpCabin/StarterKit/tabid/525/Default.aspx)

The Dad Fisherman
12-21-2010, 11:37 AM
This looks kinds cool for your gear.

Round Tackle Box - The Solution to a Square Peg in a Round Hole (http://www.roundtacklebox.com/)

JohnR
12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
I picked up a used kit with a bunch of stuff (H/T to WestportMafia for the lead) to build around.

Next step, a few more tip ups and maybe a used power auger.

jeffsod
12-22-2010, 10:15 PM
John if you want to educate yourself a little about "ice" you might want to check out this blog started recently by a very experienced iceboater from Burlington VT. I think the tradegy with several snowmobilers going thru and dying last winter in his area got him thinking there needs to be some kind of resource for ice safety and education.

Lake Ice - Home (http://lakeice.squarespace.com/)

striperman36
12-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I picked up a used kit with a bunch of stuff (H/T to WestportMafia for the lead) to build around.

Next step, a few more tip ups and maybe a used power auger.

In se ma and ri I really think a power auger is overkill. A spade usually works better

I do have a 10" electric and a 8" manual though. I hate gas augers in the morning

JackK
12-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Check out the nils usa auger. Much cheaper than a power version, and damn fast. My friend just picked one up, there's a chance that it may make its way to tabbit and you can try it out.

YouTube - The Nils U.S.A Hand Auger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaVx-GMMdsc)