View Full Version : dealership issues...ram warranties suck

robalomann5
12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
my 2004 ram's emission light came on 2 weeks ago, 47 ,000 miles, premier warranty, should not be a problem....WRONG....take to the dealer, they explain it's not covered, i'd have to pay for the scan test plus parts, $400 later i.,m out the door...1 week later, light is on again... go back, tell them it's on again, they tell me same deal...parts plus scan...pissed off, they know, but they have me by the short ones...the service clerk say's she saved me $100 after finding another part needs replacing...$270 bill.....THE EFFIN LIGHT IS ON AGAIN....what can i do ...these pricks can keep it up and i am at there mercy....

Raven
12-01-2010, 05:58 PM
what you should do is not let them work on that particular
problem anymore since its not covered . take it to someone
who will give you an estimate FIRST ..... before doing the work

do not tell of history or other repairs

just say light came on --- whats going on?

cuz i don't think dealership found the original problem and just fixed whatever .....
cuz you still have the same problem

just my gut feeling

UserRemoved1
12-01-2010, 06:04 PM
hope your paying by credit card. I'd demand the defective parts back, change them then tell them you want your funds back. I had a dealer do this to me for $800 in 5 sensors once. I told him nfw that 5 sensors could go bad at once. Better chances of hitting the lottery. I got the parts back, re-installed them myself then took the new stuff back the next day and demanded my money back. I got it too.

They'll pay a chargeback fee to the bank no matter what on a credit card dispute.

JohnR
12-01-2010, 06:38 PM
my 2004 ram's emission light came on 2 weeks ago, 47 ,000 miles, premier warranty, should not be a problem....WRONG....take to the dealer, they explain it's not covered, i'd have to pay for the scan test plus parts, $400 later i.,m out the door...1 week later, light is on again... go back, tell them it's on again, they tell me same deal...parts plus scan...pissed off, they know, but they have me by the short ones...the service clerk say's she saved me $100 after finding another part needs replacing...$270 bill.....THE EFFIN LIGHT IS ON AGAIN....what can i do ...these pricks can keep it up and i am at there mercy....

2004? How long is the warranty? What parts?

Sounds like emissions / EFI which was probably 5/50K except for some normal wear / tear items. Also could be a not so skilled tech changing stuff instead of diagnosing (or, in fairness, a real beyotch of a problem to troubleshoot).

What is the "Premiere" warranty? IIRC it is the extended warranty from Chrysler. Or is it an aftermarket?

afterhours
12-01-2010, 06:41 PM
go to an independant mechanic.....as far as dealerships go- if you keep bending over........:uhuh:

fishaholic18
12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
go to an independant mechanic.....as far as dealerships go- if you keep bending over........:uhuh:

Haha, I miss that...Hi Don...:uhuh:

Saltheart
12-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Sometimes its because your gas cap is not sealing well. Try making sure the cap gets put on with at least 3 clicks after tightning. Next try a new cap.

I have hads this happen to me before on 3 vehicles. First time , I got swindled like you changing o2 sensores EGV valves , etc , etc. Now I just make sure the cap is sealing and in aweek or so the light goes out and doesn't come on again.

Now that said , have you looked at the spark plugs? Any chance one cylinder is skipping now and then? That will set off emission lights and could damage the Cat coverter and with a big engine , you may not even notice it happening until you are looking for it.

You could have a bad cykider firing do to a plug , a wire , etc , etc but they usually catch that. I wasted a ton of dough like you to find out it was because my gas cap wasn't sealing.

Gary
12-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Where are you located?

tysdad115
12-02-2010, 03:37 PM
From a Dealer Service Manager- Ask for a list of the trouble codes present now versus the ones that were previously stored. If the same trouble codes have been stored on all visits they misdiagnosed your problem and should repair the vehicle at no charge to you or credit you the original repairs. The technician wrote the trouble codes down somewhere on the repair orders they should provide you with the codes. If it's different codes all the time thats another issue.

striperman36
12-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Buy a diesel

Sgt_Nutz
12-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Had a similar problem on a similar vehicle...I think it may have the same engine.

My wife's 2002 Durango (just sold it!!!! :-)) had the engine light come on. Inspection station gave me the code for an Evaporation Leak Monitor. After changing the gas cap I reset the the Engine Light. Sure enough it came back on a few miles later. I traced the line from tank back to the engine and found a vacuum line that comes out between the engine and the battery and then under the fuse block. It gets dry and brittle and breaks at a connection with a GREEN cap(Important!). Thus causing an emission/vacuum leak and the light. Replaced the vacuum line for only a few bucks! Problem solved!! No more engine light!

On a 2002 you disconnect the neg. battery terminal. Put the key in the ignition and turn and hold it to start for 30 seconds and release. Reconnect cable and Engine light should be off/reset.

Try this also: turn the key clockwise to turn power on (not to start) and back. If you do this 2 or maybe 3 times ? the trouble code will be displayed on the dashboard. Worked on our 2002.

If you can find the code do a google search with your year vehicle, model and the code. There is tons of info. out there!

Good luck!

robalomann5
12-02-2010, 08:19 PM
original thoughts of the warranty put me at the dealer, the truck was a re-sale , 4 yrs old, 20,000 miles,full package, the warranty extended drive train to 7 year,70,000 miles....i usually deal with an independent shop for the last 20 yrs..stopped there today , told him the story, he said drop it off, scan free of charge, and promised not to rape my wife and daughter if the light keeps coming on....stay tuned
i do notice a paint like odor coming from the exhaust
long island, ny

fishaholic18
12-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Had a similar problem on a similar vehicle...I think it may have the same engine.

My wife's 2002 Durango (just sold it!!!! :-)) had the engine light come on. Inspection station gave me the code for an Evaporation Leak Monitor. After changing the gas cap I reset the the Engine Light. Sure enough it came back on a few miles later. I traced the line from tank back to the engine and found a vacuum line that comes out between the engine and the battery and then under the fuse block. It gets dry and brittle and breaks at a connection with a GREEN cap(Important!). Thus causing an emission/vacuum leak and the light. Replaced the vacuum line for only a few bucks! Problem solved!! No more engine light!

On a 2002 you disconnect the neg. battery terminal. Put the key in the ignition and turn and hold it to start for 30 seconds and release. Reconnect cable and Engine light should be off/reset.

Try this also: turn the key clockwise to turn power on (not to start) and back. If you do this 2 or maybe 3 times ? the trouble code will be displayed on the dashboard. Worked on our 2002.

If you can find the code do a google search with your year vehicle, model and the code. There is tons of info. out there!

Good luck!

That method of code flashing worked great pre-OBD2 vehicles. Codes are in HEX now, have been since 95ish, flashing check engine light will NOT give you a valid trouble code anymore...To clear codes, all you need to do is disconnect the battery for a few minutes...cycling the key will do nothing..not sure who came up with that bogus info...Just don't disconnect battery if you plan on having an emissions inspection in the near future..it will not pass. The proper and only way of coding and clearing codes is with a read-out box....

fishaholic18
12-03-2010, 05:48 AM

What was the code??? I may be able to give you a clue on what's going on...

MakoMike
12-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Autozone will read the codes for free. You can look up any codes on the web, the meaning varies with the brand/model. The original poster should check with chrysler and the EPA, I seem to remember that emissions systems all carry a 100,000 mile warranty, by law.

fishaholic18
12-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Vehicle Warranty
Class Year/Miles Comments
Basic Years 3
Basic Miles/km 36,000
Drivetrain Years 7
Drivetrain Miles/km 70,000
Corrosion Years 5
Corrosion Miles/km 100,000
Roadside Assistance Years 3
Roadside Assistance Miles/km 36,000

Manufacturers may periodically offer additional coverage as a purchase incentive. Their offers are not reflected on this chart. The federal government requires two other warranties. The Exhaust Emission Warranty covers corrosion-related parts for 2 years/24,000 miles, plus 8 years/80,000 miles on the catalytic converter and any on-board diagnostic device. The Passenger Restraint Warranty covers seat belts and airbags for 5 years/50,000 miles.