View Full Version : belly grommets...preference???

robalomann5
12-02-2010, 09:46 AM
which look do you like when you build...flush, countersunk,painted,unpainted???

i prefer the counter sunk, painted look....

Back Beach
12-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Welcome robaloman.

There's a lot of info and good debate here on belly grommets. We did a thread not too long ago about belly grommets...let me see if I can dig it up and post it for you. Here it is:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/plug-building-got-wood/61967-grommets.html

BigFish
12-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Countersunk and unpainted! Nothing makes a plug look more sloppy than one who's hardware is all painted over! Sure they might catch fish but......they look crappy! Sorry.....just my .02 cents and that combined with a buck fifty won't buy you a cup of coffee!

BIG TIM
12-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Countersunk and unpainted! Nothing makes a plug look more sloppy than one who's hardware is all painted over! Sure they might catch fish but......they look crappy! Sorry.....just my .02 cents and that combined with a buck fifty won't buy you a cup of coffee!

Me too... :)

ProfessorM
12-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Absolutely hate the countersunk look. Form the grommet to the contour of the plug. I do what i like. Tomato, tomatto. All up to you.

Slipknot
12-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I added one for Paul ;)

I like no grommet but when I do, I like countersunk unpainted

Grapenuts
12-02-2010, 01:06 PM
looks like poo counter sunk.

Charleston
12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I think it depends on the plug. Countersunk (which is the wrong term).
Spotfaced (which is the correct term) is OK if it's a close fit with the outside diameter of the gromet.
I prefer to grometize and fit them to the radiius of the plug body.

FWIW, countersinking is what you do when you want the tappered head of a screw to be flush. :uhuh:

wrikerjr
12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
prefer no belly grommets.

johnny ducketts
12-02-2010, 03:22 PM
either or, but would love a "grommetizer", hint, hint, hint :)

pmueller
12-02-2010, 03:29 PM

me too!

BigFish
12-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Spotfaced (which is the correct term) is OK if it's a close fit with the outside diameter of the gromet.

FWIW, countersinking is what you do when you want the tappered head of a screw to be flush. :uhuh:

Countersunk works fine.:jump1:

Sgt Striper
12-02-2010, 04:12 PM

I like Counterbored :)....But sometimes I spotface

Pete F.
12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
No grommet, bevel the edges of the hole. FWIW

Rockfish9
12-03-2010, 07:26 AM
depends of the grommet.... the ones with the ultra thin lip IMHO need to be counter bored...spot face or couter sunk.. or they look like a silver turd hanging off the bottom of the plug.. the larger flange type, look much better formed around the plug .. counter whatevering just hogs a big sloppy looking hole in the plug...

grommetless IHHO can lead to water entering through the endgrain after just a few encounters with the fish ones ... and after all.. the original "cup" hardware was used by by creek chub and heddon to counter act problems of water intrusion through the belly hole end grain...not for show...

Just my thoughts .. Tomato....tomatto.

ProfessorM
12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Mr. Bill is right. For anyone that really cares.:confused: Counter bored is what i would consider the correct term as most go past the spotface term in depth. Spot face usually only goes deep enough for the complete dia. to be had, no deeper. Counter sunk is for flat head screws, usually at 82 degree's. I called it countersunk because that is what most call it so i did not want to confuse anyone. Another useless information post by me,:uhuh:. Carry on.

BigFish
12-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Countersunk works fine.:jump1:

:uhuh:

BigFish
12-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Painted hardware is losing the battle!!!:uhuh::uhuh:

Back Beach
12-03-2010, 02:21 PM

I'll post some pics of my poor man's grommetizer. All you need is a curved piece of metal and a trailer pin with a hole the size of your grommet...you'll be an instant pro...:laugha:

ProfessorM
12-03-2010, 05:16 PM

just borrow the one I got to Jim, biteme, He probably never uses it .:) take it home for a weekend and do a crap load of them all at once.

johnny ducketts
12-03-2010, 09:07 PM
True, I may just give him a plug or two, for borrowing it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

CapnBill
12-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Could we see pics of the grometizer? I would love to make one....

pmueller
12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Could we see pics of the grometizer? I would love to make one....

I'ld like to find one to buy.

ProfessorM
12-13-2010, 08:40 PM
thought I put up pics before

ProfessorM
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/how-favorite-plug-forum-guides/28440-copycat-grommitizer.html

here is one G did several years back.

I just drill holes a small amount under the size of the grommet into a 3/4" dia. piece of stainless steel and insert grommet and then use a rubber hammer to slam them down into shape. Lu has a similar one but uses a mating piece over the 3/4" dia. piece so he can slam a few down at once. All work. Very simple. If this is not sufficient I will take some pics on Wed. and post.