View Full Version : Boston Xmas Tree/1917 Halifax Explosion

blondterror
12-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Halifax Explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion)

The Emily Rooney Show (http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Emily-Rooney-Show-854/episodes/Thursday-Dec-2Nova-Scotia-Holiday-Tree-22350)

I heard this very interesting piece on Thursday on the Emily Rooney WGBH radio station. It details the history of why Nova Scotia sends a beautiful tree to Boston every Christmas.

I have been up to Halifax a few times and it is a great place to visit . esp to see the Bluenose schooner. I was calling on scientists at Dalhousie Univ to sell them robotic lab instruments....

here is a summary of the explosion and the relief efforts that helped halifax get back on their feet. It snowed 16 inches the day after the explosion... OMG

Nova Scotia Holiday Tree: On December 6, 1917, a munitions ship exploded in Halifax Harbor, off the coast of Nova Scotia. Upwards of 2,000 people were killed by debris, fires, or collapsed buildings and an estimated 9,000 more were injured. By 10pm that night, a train loaded with supplies and emergency personnel was chugging through wintry terrain, on its way from Boston to Nova Scotia. It was a kind gesture in a time of need that the people of Nova Scotia have never forgotten. And since 1971 -- in continued thanks to the City of Boston -- Nova Scotia has donated a majestic balsam fir, white spruce or red spruce, to be Boston’s official Holiday tree. The tree selection has become quite the tradition in Nova Scotia and with me now tell us all about it is Nova Scotia’s Deputy Premier Frank Corbett, and Gary and Roseann Misner, whose 35 foot spruce was selected to be this year’s tree. They are all in town for the official tree lighting which takes place tonight on Boston Common.

ProfessorM
12-04-2010, 10:27 AM
If you are ever in Halifax they have an awesome museum there showing and telling of the whole story. Pretty interesting place. A lot of the people were killed because they went down to the water front to watch the fire, ship burn, and then it exploded.
Lunenburg is where I saw the bluenose too. Very impressive ship and museum there too. The whole place is an awesome trip. My grandmother is from there so i have been several times, last time in 2000, first time 1967. I highly recommended a trip to a beautiful,uncrowded, friendly, place.. Sorry to sound like a travel pitch but it is just so nice.