View Full Version : HOOK TYPES,SIZES

bigwavedave
12-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Well its gettin cold outside and i was a wonderin if someone would explain hook size:confused: i know 2/0 is smaller than 5/0 treble but:bshake: is there a certian way of measurement ? just confused on this and i thought it might give us something to talk about ,maybe im not the onle one wonderin...thanks

MarkB
12-04-2010, 05:58 PM
There's no official standard that I know of, but manufacturers will generally follow each other. Smallest is about 32, going up in size to 1. After that, you start with 1/0, 2/0, etc. Wire hooks will bend and can be bent back. Forged hooks are made to hold shape and not bend - though they will eventually.

Hook style is another matter. Classic "J" shape, short shank "J" shape, circle hooks, etc. Correct size and style really does matter for landing fish. If you're getting hits but not landing fish, check your hooks to see if they're the best for your application. Circle hooks are meant to be self-hooking, so don't jerk your rod up when you feel a hit - just let the fish run with it and start reeling.

Keep your hooks sharp, and keep they dry after use - don't let them rust. How you tie your hook to your line is also important - but that's another matter.

Liv2Fish
12-04-2010, 08:10 PM
What's the general consensus on hook size (circle) for fishing eels and should it be different for fishing something larger, like pogeies or Mackerel?

I used to fish cut bait a lot on "j" hooks and gut hooked a lot of shorts - back when it was 36".

I've since become more of a catch and release fan and would rather drop a fish than release it with a hook in it's gut. I fish primarily circles when bait fishing now.

Rob Rockcrawler
12-04-2010, 09:16 PM
I usually use a 5/0 for eeling, circle or live bait. I dont do much chunking but i know its mighty hard to get a chunk of bunker on a 5/0. If im throwing chunk i keep my hand on the rod and go for a 8/0 octopus. A quick hook set will eliminate 90% of gut hookings.

BassDawg
12-05-2010, 06:33 AM
bigwave~~~

hook selection is very application specific, and very subjective. if you tell me what you're using them for, then i'd be happy to tell ya what works for me. in the end, you have to arrive at what works for YOU. six yrs into it, and i'm still bouncing between size and styles for live eeeeeeeels. do you snell your own hooks? animated knots by Grog is an excellent knots interactive source with stop motion, slow motion, plus any and all knots used, in the surf.
:btu: :btu: :btu:

my manufacturer of choice is Gammigaktsu for bait, VMC for trebles, Owner/Mustad/Gammi's for riggies~~~
and once again, application dependent,,,,ie size of bait and type of bait, size of lure and number of hooks, size of dead eel and target size of stripers and where i'll be swimming the rigged eels.

not meaning to confuse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope this helps ya, Brah!!
:grins: :grins: :grins: