View Full Version : Oven Element Melting?

JamesJet
12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
So I am cooking dinner while my wife is giving my son a bath, go to check in the oven and the element is literally melting and looks like a someone is welding it. Turn off the oven, but it would not stop. I had to unplug it. The best part is tomorrow is a "pot luck" fundrasier at work and I was going to make enough pepperoni bread for an army. I had 4 bowls of rising dough and my fridge is filled with cheese and 'roni. Guess not now. I was one of the guys pumping it up too.

Should I just look look at new stoves? Ours was pretty old anyways, any suggestions for electric oven/ranges? Or should I call the repair guy? :confused:

Nebe
12-05-2010, 09:43 PM
that is repairable. Chances are that the relay that fires the element is stuck on the 'on' position. Replace the element and the part that gives it juice and you should be fine.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Had a stove top element do that once. Pretty freaky...just replace the element and you are probably good to go.

justplugit
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM
With the poor quality in the new appliances I would rather fix
the stove then buy a one.

JamesJet
12-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I think I need to have you guys talk to my wife. She has already "researched" lots of stoves we can "afford"

In her defense I "needed" some new sebiles and some nbars when my old plugs stopped working.

milo
12-07-2010, 03:44 PM
replaced mine a couple of years ago..peice of cake and I think only like 40 bucks

justplugit
12-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Trust me JJ, I had to replace all my appliances this year and everyone
of them is a piece of junk. :( Guarantee they won't last more then 5
or 6 years as that's the way they design them.

PRBuzz
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Guarantee they won't last more then 5
or 6 years as that's the way they design them.

Used to be things were manufactured to last (forever), now the concept is designed obsolence!:wall:

Things also used to made so the fix/repair was relatively straightforward, now everything is throw away don't fix but buy new!:smash:

Fishpart
12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Element melting is the symptom. The cause is something in the control circut staying closed and lettign too much power flow to the element.

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree with fishpart. There is generally a relay or some other controlling element that is probably the culprit.

I could write a book on oven problems...esp with Viking. I know the Viking service guys better then my own doctors.

I would get your wife a new high end GE or WOLF or DSC and make her (and you) a happy man. Avoid the rest. ( Speaking from my personal experience)

Raider Ronnie
12-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Used to be things were manufactured to last (forever), now the concept is designed obsolence!:wall:

Things also used to made so the fix/repair was relatively straightforward, now everything is throw away don't fix but buy new!:smash:

" now everything is throw away don't fix but buy new!:smash:[/QUOTE]"

That pretty much describes the way Ford, GM & Chrysler has
built cars for years.

JamesJet
12-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Ended up getting a new GE. Not even sure repair ever had a chance even though I knew it could be fixed but I figured the amount difference between repair and new was not more than the goodwill I would have for getting the new oven. Got a great deal and in the end I love to cook as well and didn't really like the stove either. My kitchen was redone by the previous homeowners and they got a new built in micro, trash compactor and dishwasher but left the old stove. I fondly call him Handy Andy as most things he fixed good from afar but far from good. I could write pages on some of the things I found while working around here. Anyways it look and performs great and my wife is very happy.