View Full Version : This is Definitely Going on my Winter Reading List

The Dad Fisherman
12-08-2010, 07:52 AM
I've been biatching about the Mom-ification of America for years...this looks right up my alley :hihi:

Amazon.com: In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks: . . . And Other Complaints from an Angry Middle-Aged White Guy (9780307717375): Adam Carolla: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Years-Well-All-Chicks/dp/0307717372)

JohnR
12-08-2010, 08:36 AM
I thought it was the "Wussification" ?

Looks like an interesting read.

The Dad Fisherman
12-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Same Thing...:hidin:

Rockfish9
12-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Pink hats will rule the universe.... :yak5:

MAKAI
12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Women have always controlled men.
They are so good at it we don't even realize it.
And when we do, we still can't do anything about it.
They are the Patriots, we are the Jets.

It is what it is.

fishbones
12-08-2010, 12:25 PM
That looks great. I just added it to my wishlist.

The Dad Fisherman
12-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Women have always controlled men.
They are so good at it we don't even realize it.
And when we do, we still can't do anything about it.
They are the Patriots, we are the Jets.

It is what it is.

I don't think that’s where he is going w/ this....when I say Mom-ification (or Wussification) its more the "He can't do that he might hurt himself or get his feelings hurt" syndrome.

I get that look all the time from Moms when you want to take their "Babies" on a Winter Campout "Its going to be cold this weekend you might want to cancel the trip" or on the Ice to fish "The Ice might be to thin"...or Take them to the Rifle Rzange to shoot "Shooting Guns Oh My".....or to the rock walls to climb "That's Awfully High...are you sure its safe"....hell I've gotten crap from a mom for trying to feed their kid food that was past the Sell by Date "You can't give him that it will make him sick"....jesus Lady.....its a dry cake mix to cook...:huh:

Heck, I used to head out the door in the morning....if I was hungry I'd come home to eat....other than that I was out there doing my thing....Now we have "Play Dates" :yak: and Van pools, oranges at 1/2 time for soccer and god forbid the kid goes more than 2 hours w/out a bottled water and a snack :wall:

How often did your parents take you to a friends house to play.....I either hopped on my bike or walked.

Its gotten so bad now that you can't make him tryout for a team because you might hurt is feelings...and forget about a teacher actually using a red marker to score a test.

And before anybody starts throwing Political Affiliation around.....that has nothing to do w/ this...I've seen it from "both sides of the aisle" Mom-ification knows no Political Affiliation.

Rant Over

RIJIMMY
12-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Dad F is right on.
Couldnt believe my kids 3rd grade teacher telling us that the kids could bring water bottles in to keep at their desk. What happened to going to the water fountain?

MAKAI
12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't think that’s where he is going w/ this....when I say Mom-ification (or Wussification) its more the "He can't do that he might hurt himself or get his feelings hurt" syndrome.

I get that look all the time from Moms when you want to take their "Babies" on a Winter Campout "Its going to be cold this weekend you might want to cancel the trip" or on the Ice to fish "The Ice might be to thin"...or Take them to the Rifle Rzange to shoot "Shooting Guns Oh My".....or to the rock walls to climb "That's Awfully High...are you sure its safe"....hell I've gotten crap from a mom for trying to feed their kid food that was past the Sell by Date "You can't give him that it will make him sick"....jesus Lady.....its a dry cake mix to cook...:huh:

Heck, I used to head out the door in the morning....if I was hungry I'd come home to eat....other than that I was out there doing my thing....Now we have "Play Dates" :yak: and Van pools, oranges at 1/2 time for soccer and god forbid the kid goes more than 2 hours w/out a bottled water and a snack :wall:

How often did your parents take you to a friends house to play.....I either hopped on my bike or walked.

Its gotten so bad now that you can't make him tryout for a team because you might hurt is feelings...and forget about a teacher actually using a red marker to score a test.

And before anybody starts throwing Political Affiliation around.....that has nothing to do w/ this...I've seen it from "both sides of the aisle" Mom-ification knows no Political Affiliation.

Rant Over

OOPS !
I'll save that one for another time.:)

I know a couple who bring in their 5 yr old son from playing in the yard to wash the grass stains off his knees.
Poor kid will be dancing in the nutcracker soon.:doh:

We say to ourselves at work and play " If you ain't bleeding , you ain't trying "

PRBuzz
12-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Rant Over

No keep going! You are sooooooooo right!

What ever happened to "when the going gets tough, the tough get going"? Now the saying is "when the going gets tough, call MOMMY" and even worse "if you think it might get tough, have MOMMY (or DADDY) call and get you excused from doing it"

JohnR
12-08-2010, 09:34 PM

Rant Over

Abso-Freikin-Lootely

Sea Dangles
12-09-2010, 07:39 AM
I still remember a childhood birthday party from about 35 years ago where my Dad thought it was a good idea to break out the Lawn Darts!!!!Back then those things looked like a weapon,after an early flesh wound they were put away.Seatbelts were for infants only and a Crescent Ridge ice cream was a quarter.All the Dads at Little League games pounded beers and if you needed a dog put down,the cops would gladly bust out the sidearm.Some things have changed for the better.

Circlehook
12-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Kids these days have to go to counseling for fistfights. I remember a kid stealing my lunch in 6th grade, and I punched him. He gave it back.
Today the kids are expected to go to the office and fill out a mediation form.

BassDawg
12-09-2010, 11:56 AM
if i'm hearing you right, Kevin, is this book about the
emasculation of men(generally) and of fathers(specifically).

i think that it goes even deeper~~~

not only are we "looked" at for doing what we are DNA designed/testoserone driven to do~ hunt and gather ~our sons are being discouraged from listening to that very same voice!!

just look at how idiotically portrayed husbands and fathers are on TV. from Nickelodeon to BET we are given scripts that make us liars, adulterers, bumbling boobs, and removed from the parenting picture(if not entirely absent) as counselor, athourity figure, model of masculinity, and as head of household. it sickens me to think about the multilayered attack on the family unit as we once knew it that is being waged, it seems, at every outlet of the current and constant streams of media.

then, look no further than the celebration of mediocrity within our churches, schools, musical programs, sports and recreation for our kids, and our "fill-in-the-blank" community founded social groups and you will see an echo of the sounds of unreason. let's not have high standards, because NOT everyone can reach them! EXCUSE ME, but isn't that the point and the reason why they are at the top? within this line of illogic we might as well never have ANY losing, change the names from hunting to killing/fishing to catching, and have our pink towels at the ready everytime Little Johnny gets his mind, body, or spirit bruised or beaten by someone who is better than he is at anything!!! let's not learn how to lose or to be wrong, which builds charachter traits like humility, patience, and intestinal fortitude; no, no, NOHHHHHH,,,,,,,,,let's model to our future leaders of the world that we are ALL winners, everyone is RIGHT, and(from my favorite ad, lately), "let's chug on over to Mamby Pamby Land and have ourselves a good cry, you JACKWAGON!!" i'm not saying that i don't cry, i am saying that it's never about~~
"Woe is me,,,,,,,,,,,,why me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i am such a victim!!"

some of my GREATEST victories in life have come upon the heels of my most resounding defeats!! WHY? because i didn't give up, because i didn't want to settle for anything less than the best, and because i knew that if i worked at it hard enough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i COULD achieve a level of greatness that was something apart from who, when, and where i was at the time of my loss.

for me, it is in ALL WAYS more about the process and the progression, the lessons inside THE lesson are better learned within the journey and the direction, and that ultimately~ by making the appropiate/inappropiate sacrifices of time, effort, and will~ i have earned the right to the hoist the vaunted trophy, garnered important life lessons, achieved a higher standard, and have become more keenly aware of who i am along the way, so that i may be a BETTER son, husband, or father!!

we have become a Fatherless Nation and not in deeds alone. most certainly, it has been by the blatant ignorance of His Spirit, by the refusal to cling to His Word, and by the contrived and unrelenting agendas of those who would embrace a world without sovereignty and promote Life without utter and intangible consequences.

oh, YES, the pink hats are coming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,question is, will we let them dismantle our thrones and wear Our crowns about the castle, or shall we fight to restore our "Kingdoms on Earth, as it is in Heaven"?!!?

RIJIMMY
12-09-2010, 12:06 PM
if i'm hearing you right, Kevin, is this book about the
emasculation of men(generally) and of fathers(specifically).

i think that it goes even deeper~~~

not only are we "looked" at for doing what we are DNA designed/testoserone driven to do~ hunt and gather ~our sons are being discouraged from listening to that very same voice!!

just look at how idiotically portrayed husbands and fathers are on TV. from Nickelodeon to BET we are given scripts that make us liars, adulterers, bumbling boobs, and removed from the parenting picture(if not entirely absent) as counselor, athourity figure, model of masculinity, and as head of household. it sickens me to think about the multilayered attack on the family unit as we once knew it that is being waged, it seems, at every outlet of the current and constant streams of media.

then, look no further than the celebration of mediocrity within our churches, schools, musical programs, sports and recreation for our kids, and our "fill-in-the-blank" community founded social groups and you will see an echo of the sounds of unreason. let's not have high standards, because NOT everyone can reach them! EXCUSE ME, but isn't that the point and the reason why they are at the top? within this line of illogic we might as well never have ANY losing, change the names from hunting to killing/fishing to catching, and have our pink towels at the ready everytime Little Johnny gets his mind, body, or spirit bruised or beaten by someone who is better than he is at anything!!! let's not learn how to lose or to be wrong, which builds charachter traits like humility, patience, and intestinal fortitude; no, no, NOHHHHHH,,,,,,,,,let's model to our future leaders of the world that we are ALL winners, everyone is RIGHT, and(from my favorite ad, lately), "let's chug on over to Mamby Pamby Land and have ourselves a good cry, you JACKWAGON!!" i'm not saying that i don't cry, i am saying that it's never about~~
"Woe is me,,,,,,,,,,,,why me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i am such a victim!!"

some of my GREATEST victories in life have come upon the heels of my most resounding defeats!! WHY? because i didn't give up, because i didn't want to settle for anything less than the best, and because i knew that if i worked at it hard enough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i COULD achieve a level of greatness that was something apart from who, when, and where i was at the time of my loss.

for me, it is in ALL WAYS more about the process and the progression, the lessons inside THE lesson are better learned within the journey and the direction, and that ultimately~ by making the appropiate/inappropiate sacrifices of time, effort, and will~ i have earned the right to the hoist the vaunted trophy, garnered important life lessons, achieved a higher standard, and have become more keenly aware of who i am along the way, so that i may be a BETTER son, husband, or father!!

we have become a Fatherless Nation and not in deeds alone. most certainly, it has been by the blatant ignorance of His Spirit, by the refusal to cling to His Word, and by the contrived and unrelenting agendas of those who would embrace a world without sovereignty and promote Life without utter and intangible consequences.

oh, YES, the pink hats are coming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,question is, will we let them dismantle our thrones and wear Our crowns about the castle, or shall we fight to restore our "Kingdoms on Earth, as it is in Heaven"?!!?

wow dawg, this the first post you've made that made sense to me and I agree with (except for the religoisy stuff, but Im ok with it)! Especially the part about Dads as bumbling fools on tv.
All is not lost though, there are plenty sign of hope - its us. We've got to keep this alive. I've reccomended this book before - Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters. Written by a woman family councelor and detail all the benefits that being a true man bring to your daughters. its important stuff.

BassDawg
12-10-2010, 12:22 PM
wow dawg, this the first post you've made that made sense to me and I agree with (except for the religoisy stuff, but Im ok with it)! Especially the part about Dads as bumbling fools on tv.
All is not lost though, there are plenty sign of hope - its us. We've got to keep this alive. I've reccomended this book before - Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters. Written by a woman family councelor and detail all the benefits that being a true man bring to your daughters. its important stuff.

thanks, RIJIMMY~~~

and i totally agree with your thoughts that WE are the hope, and that all is NOT lost. my commentary was more to the recognition of the way this nation is heading as a whole,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

that book by the counselor is an excellent book that is on my shelf and will get a read this Winter, for sure. one of the best ways to combat this current cultural debilitation is to be STRONG in the home with both Mom and Dad working together. THANKFULLY, my bride is on board with selective media interaction for our girl, we are vigilant in teaching her how to lose with grace and how to win with humility, and we have been blessed with a young lady who appears to "get it" and is happy to work for what she desires.

sadly, there is a growing force in our population that wants everything handed to them, NOW, as they approach Life with an exagerrated Sense of Entitlement, ie "I breathe, therefore I am THA Man!!". when coupled with a philosophical blackhole that spates the mantras of victimization and zero accountability for one's OWN actions, it is no wonder that our youth seem "rudderless" and look more like farts in a tornado than the power behind the storm.

truly, the onus is upon US as men, fathers, sons, and brothers to model for them what it means to be a Man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and we WILL prevail. an excellent place to start, imho, is by keeping traditions like fishing, camping, and craftsmanship ALIVE, teaching core values to our children, and encouraging them to use wisely their power of choice.

BassDawg
12-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Kids these days have to go to counseling for fistfights. I remember a kid stealing my lunch in 6th grade, and I punched him. He gave it back.
Today the kids are expected to go to the office and fill out a mediation form.

back in the day, elementary in the 60's ~ 70's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

who remembers, "Meet me at the flagpole at 3 OH CLOCK!!"

you went toe to toe, bloodied sum chumps lip, or dotted his eye, or you took a beating, and it was over! the next day, you were best buds or at the very least allies. My Dad always told me, "Don't start the fight, Jess, but you make damn sure you FINISH it!" Momma alwasy said, "It takes a bigger man to walk away from a fight than it does to start one."

these days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if a kid loses a fight, then he's back the next day with a posse and weapons ready to take his classmates LIFE! what's up with the score of adults that have gone postal over the years and walk into a place of business to open fire?

i partially blame first person shooter games and their desensitization of murder, the promotion of gang mentality in them and on network TV, and the positive reinforcement of attaining levels of advancement, increased stature, and points for killing, PEOPLE!! dinosaurs, aliens, zombies, etc notsomuch; yet, when so little value is given to humanity, and a me first culture exists, and the revenge at all costs mentality is how one wins and the way one deals with adversity starts to permeate the cerebrum~~~ it's no wonder, to me, that we've seen such total disregard for one another, at least on some levels, and perhaps more than we'll ever know. i understand that some peeps are just wired WRONGLY. it just seems too prevalent to be just THAT~ "insane in the membrane".

sorry for the tangents. in my mind, it ALL relates!!??

eelskimmer
12-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Crimminies BassDawg, If you're goin' to post so
many screeds could youse learn to use the period.
It's located next to the questions mark (looks like
this????). And next time you write don't be a
ninnynickel. This is the "no-turn-around" zone.

rphud
12-11-2010, 05:50 PM
All kids just need to play sports. Real sports with sticks that you use to shoot hard things at goalies, and where you are supposed to knock the other guys down.

If I have one more lax ref call one of my kids for unneccessary roughness for a hard hit I am going to start puking on the sidelines. Or better yet directly on the ref. Used to be able to blow people out of their shoes as long as you hit them from the front. Wussification is everywhere. Usually wearing a dress or stripes, or both.

rant over

scottw
12-12-2010, 08:03 AM
I've reccomended this book before - Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters. Written by a woman family councelor and detail all the benefits that being a true man bring to your daughters. its important stuff.

absolute MUST READ if you have daughters.....

DMenace
12-12-2010, 10:59 PM
First off, I'm in complete agreement with all of you guys. I had this conversation the other day with my wife, who also agrees, although I sometimes catch a little sliver of the " be careful.. it's too cold... you shouldn't... he might fall..." crap out of her as well, in regard to our 1 yr old son, which drives me nuts. I'm definitely going to pick this book up though, as well as the "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters" as we have too awesome daughters as well.
Secondly, my wife just got me an Amazon Kindle reader which I like a lot. Does anyone else have one? And if so can you swap/lend books on them from device to device? Also, if that's possible can we make a plan through here? Also, does any one know of any shortcuts/sites where you can get free books?