View Full Version : cruise ship Antarctic nightmare...need a bigger boat

Mr. Sandman
12-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Horror on the High Seas (http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/horror-on-the-high-seas-23392390)

Horror on the High Seas (http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/horror-on-the-high-seas-23392390)

UserRemoved1
12-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Incredible footage. I don't get seasick and I think I would be hanging off the side

PRBuzz
12-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Incredible footage. I don't get seasick and I think I would be hanging off the side

You couldn't hold onto the side in those type of seas!

UserRemoved1
12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
that I don't doubt either.

striperman36
12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
its winter was this a deadliest catch cruise?

PRBuzz
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
its winter was this a deadliest catch cruise?

Actually in the southern hemisphere, it is nearly the end of Spring heading into Summer?

striperman36
12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Oops I read Artic not Antartic. Let me get my glasses.

striperman36
12-08-2010, 08:02 PM
It's still cold!!! Ouch

Raider Ronnie
12-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Looks like fun !

numbskull
12-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Here is a nice Antarctic story.

My neighbor is a scientist at MBL. A quiet, humble man, he has spent his life studying deep water snails that apparently live off Cape Horn. He is an old man now, but very fit and still active in science. All his life he has walked or ridden a bike everywhere he could. Several years ago he wanted to go to the Antarctic on a WHOI/MBL research cruise. The government funds these trips and the evacuation costs are high if someone gets ill so the government has strict criteria on who could go. My neighbor, at 79, was told he was too old. So he came to see me and we did a stress test that he passed with flying colors. I wrote a letter and he got on the trip. While down there he turned 80 years old. The ship's crew and other scientists held a party for him on shore surrounded by penguins. He is likely to be the only human who has ever turned 80 on the continent of Antarctica. Something nice about that.

Nebe
12-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Here is a nice Antarctic story.

My neighbor is a scientist at MBL. A quiet, humble man, he has spent his life studying deep water snails that apparently live off Cape Horn. He is an old man now, but very fit and still active in science. All his life he has walked or ridden a bike everywhere he could. Several years ago he wanted to go to the Antarctic on a WHOI/MBL research cruise. The government funds these trips and the evacuation costs are high if someone gets ill so the government has strict criteria on who could go. My neighbor, at 79, was told he was too old. So he came to see me and we did a stress test that he passed with flying colors. I wrote a letter and he got on the trip. While down there he turned 80 years old. The ship's crew and other scientists held a party for him on shore surrounded by penguins. He is likely to be the only human who has ever turned 80 on the continent of Antarctica. Something nice about that.

:claps:

Raven
12-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Bigfish would be thrilled....

beamie
12-08-2010, 10:59 PM
All you can do at that point is keep heading into it until it decreases a bit. Most ships don't have the power to turn in that situation. Plus if you try to go too fast you will damage the hull, steel pushes in etc.

I have been in rougher seas than that, Atlantic and the Med, but the ship was at least twice that length, so not as bad situation.