View Full Version : Finger in table saw

UserRemoved1
12-10-2010, 09:53 AM
YouTube - SAWSTOP in TimeWarp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E3mzhvMgrLE)

most excellent video. Am considering buying one.

numbskull
12-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't want to be in the show room when you pull out something that looks like a hot dog to test it.

Pete F.
12-10-2010, 01:38 PM
If you are buying it to keep your fingers away when you are ripping stock, you would be better off with a power feeder. Keeps your fingers a lot further away.

numbskull
12-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Actually, I suspect these things make it legally prudent for schools/businesses to get rid of their Unisaws/Powermatics. Probably a good time to buy a lifetime quality used table saw.........if you are willing to risk digit amputation.

eastendlu
12-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Actually, I suspect these things make it legally prudent for schools/businesses to get rid of their Unisaws/Powermatics. Probably a good time to buy a lifetime quality used table saw.........if you are willing to risk digit amputation.

This is how i acquired my unisaw many years ago got it for free.

ProfessorM
12-10-2010, 03:01 PM
geez mention hotdog and table saw and Lu comes out of hibernation.

trevier
12-10-2010, 03:20 PM
great saws, the guy who invented that technology also has the patent on it, he offered it to the big saw companies but they said no thanks, so he invented his own, well guess what, when those big companies have to have a brake system on there saws due to insurance reasons he will get a cut of the money because he owns the right to that brake system,

UserRemoved1
12-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Buying it to keep my fingers in one piece in case something ever happens.. I don't believe a power feeder can do 3/4" squares such as used in lures.

If you are buying it to keep your fingers away when you are ripping stock, you would be better off with a power feeder. Keeps your fingers a lot further away.

Raven
12-10-2010, 04:00 PM
build your own c3po

Pete F.
12-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Buying it to keep my fingers in one piece in case something ever happens.. I don't believe a power feeder can do 3/4" squares such as used in lures.
It will perfectly.
It will hold the wood down and against the fence far better than you can by hand.
You set it up right over the blade with wheels on the infeed and outfeed sides.
You need to talk to a commercial woodworking equipment dealer, they will gladly set you up with the right stuff.

Pete F.
12-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Table-Saw Power-Feeder Tips (http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/TableSaw_PowerFeeder_Tips.html)

blondterror
12-10-2010, 06:21 PM
What is the cost of the throw away parts if it does an emergency stop.... will a knot of metallic fragment give it a false positive stop.... I've been using my unisaw for 20 yrs and still have all my fingers

stripermaineiac
12-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Parts are around 70 bucks. Plus the blade. Rumor has it that they are working on an after market retro fit for the high end saws that can be upgraded.Nice saws either way and the price is from 2600 to 3600. Cheap money for a finger or 2.

eastendlu
12-10-2010, 07:56 PM
geez mention hotdog and table saw and Lu comes out of hibernation.

:smash:

chefchris401
12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Pretty crazy video.

Pete F.
12-11-2010, 02:02 AM
Table saws are like guns.
Just as you are taught to never point a gun at anything you don't want to shoot, You should never put anything in the way of a tablesaw blade you don't want to cut.

UserRemoved1
12-11-2010, 04:51 AM
Don't disagree. But always better to keep the trigger lock on as well as have a nifty safety thing to keep ya fingers intact just in case.

Professor M I noticed the same thing :rotf2:

Table saws are like guns.
Just as you are taught to never point a gun at anything you don't want to shoot, You should never put anything in the way of a tablesaw blade you don't want to cut.