View Full Version : Cod Jigging lb braid?

JamesJet
12-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Looking to purchase a Baja Special for cod jigging. I have used the reel many times before and feel as though its a workhorse. My question is what should I have it spooled with? I was thinking 80lb cortland spectra but part of me says go a little lighter. My thoughts were 80 would be easier for the tangles on headboats and the occasional overrun without sacrificing too much. Planning in running 50lb mono leader. Fishing will mostly be deep GOM- but may try a few other spots out of Boston Harbor early spring now that my buddy has a boat that'll do it.

Thanks

beamie
12-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Most of my cod rods have the 80 blackdot cortland for just the reasons you mentioned, a bit easier to handle. I do have a rod with 50 on it and it is fine with the less diameter will hold bottom a little longer but tangle wise it is just a little harder to deal with.

niko
12-12-2010, 01:51 PM
the baja is a decent reel but consider a reel w/ a higher ratio if you are fishing deep alot. i like my torrium but i've used friends avets and they are pretty sweet. for braid i run 50 pp on the lighter rods and 65 on the stouter setups. if i'm partyboating i add a 30' topshot of mono and on my boat just tie to a 4' leader

Raider Ronnie
12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Niko summed it up good.
For bottom fishing you want a faster retrieve.
Take a look at a Daiwa Saltist.
Much better than Shimano Toriums.
You want fast, their high speed is 6.4-1
You want really fast they have a new Hyper speed 7.1-1

numbskull
12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't codfish much anymore, and I never fished in very deep water when I did, but we always tried not to pump the fish coming up, just reel 'em in steady. I'd think a high speed retrieve would make this difficult. Is that not the case?

JackK
12-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I like 80 PP.

I found that I dropped many fish when using a Torium... I think the high speed retrieve attributted to this. I switched to a Saltist T (4.9:1) and haven't had the problem since. Like George said, slow and steady works best for me.

The high retrieve is great for burning in a jig once you've scoped out, but I don't like it for fighting fish. If you're patient though (which I'm not) then I'm sure the high speed will be fine. I've seen some sharpies slay fish on a Torium.

A two speed is ideal, but much more $$$...

MikeToole
12-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I use 50# braid on my cod jigging rod.

I put 300 yard spools of braid on my surf fishing reels. After a season I put the line from one of my surf reels on one of my cod reels. Usually the last 100 yards on the surf reel has seen limited or no use. Change the line on the cod reels about every three years.

Raider Ronnie
12-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't codfish much anymore, and I never fished in very deep water when I did, but we always tried not to pump the fish coming up, just reel 'em in steady. I'd think a high speed retrieve would make this difficult. Is that not the case?

I never drop fish on the way up. :heybaby:
If I drop one it's on the bottom and done intentionally (smaller fish) :uhuh:

Salty
12-12-2010, 08:29 PM
If you will be going on a head boat, you better check with them, most want your reels spooled with 30 to 50 lb mono, they don't want their mates wrapping there hands around braid.

JamesJet
12-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I have been fishing a smaller headboat out of Maine a few times a season (marathon trips) for years now and thats where I got used to braid and Penn Bajas. I dont know if I could ever Jig cod on mono. I have dropped a fish or two on the way up so I am not up to Ronnie's standard but agree that a steady crank is better with a big heavy jig, If you only have one hook in them, the jig bouncing can open up the hole and you'll drop them.
Thanks for all your comments. I may keep shopping as some of your thoughts on the higher speed stuff makes sense. I just wonder if a two speed has the components to stand up to jigging heavy over and over. I do think Ive settled on 80lb and will look at either cortland or Izorline.

Fish On
12-13-2010, 12:36 AM
60Lb power pro

freebie
12-13-2010, 10:00 AM
not sure how deep you are fishing but I use a Fin Nor ofc 16 high speed. it has a narrow spool that really help with keeping the line level on the reel. I made a few drag uprgrades(cost was $15) but it's a great little reel for what I use it for. Nice and light too. I also use an avet mxl. that reel is a tank. comfortable handle. easy to crank(I think it's 4.7:1 or something and hold a ton of 65lb powerpro. On party boat a 30' topshot will uaually suffice with the mates.

MAKAI
12-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I use a Talica 2 (two speed ) w 65# samurai braid, it's the berries.
When tripled up just put the foregrip on the rail,drop it in low and effortlessly reel up. No heavy lifting.:uhuh:

MakoMike
12-13-2010, 01:18 PM
I use 65lb power pro.