View Full Version : Sea Anchors...what do you have/like?

Mr. Sandman
12-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Been on board a couple boats with different brands and think I am going to pick up a Fiorentino this winter. These anchors are great offshore and make it a hell of a lot more comfortable and provide a fall back in case of heavy weather.

I had a cheap no-name brand I picked up on ebay and let me tell you don't use them. In rough weather it will blow apart, even on a small boat. It is amazing how hard the pull is on them. The Fiorentinos look pretty rugged and I think I will go one size up just to never have to worry about it.

What do you have on your boat?

striperman36
12-14-2010, 08:10 PM
1 size bigger that what is rated for my boat, I also drift with a front and back line so I can adjust the drift with the current and the wind to be best

thefishingfreak
12-14-2010, 09:22 PM
I have a b52 ejection seat drouge it's 7 feet accross and strong as heck.
Got it on eBay for about 50 bucks.Well worth it my boat drifts side to and with the tower it rolls awfull in a big sea. Over the winter I'm installing a cleat in the middle of the stern so I don't have to bridle both stern cleats to get it strait off the back.
Can't see spending the 800 bucks for a paratech.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raider Ronnie
12-14-2010, 10:45 PM
I had the biggest sea anchor I could find when I had my Parker.
The downeast, not necessary :rotf2:

Typhoon
12-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I ordered this

www.alltackle.com: Canyon Sea Anchor 46 inch (http://www.alltackle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=CPSA46&Category_Code=)

about a month ago, they said it would show up about mid-january.

Van
12-15-2010, 08:58 AM
I got the biggest one they had from Cabelas several years ago.
Still going strong, but again, my boat don't weight what yours does.

Works great for bottom fishing--slow drift--

Mr. Sandman
12-15-2010, 09:02 AM
I had the biggest sea anchor I could find when I had my Parker.
The downeast, not necessary :rotf2:

One rough night offshore spend without it will change your mind. All boats need one to go bow into the seas (or need to tie up to a pot which is really not recommended)

I've used the paratech, they are nice and simple and pretty heavy duty. Why would you want to go stern first into the seas? I was going to get the paratech but I think the fiorentino I think is even better. Both systems have a simple bag set-up. you literally just toss the entire thing in the water and walk away and there is a great retrieval set up that allows it to be retrieved by one person in heavy weather with ease.

I am mainly getting one for laying over at night and in case of a breakdown or get thru some heavy weather and course to set up for chunking and lastly to controlling drift speed while bottom fishing

thefishingfreak
12-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Why would you want to go stern first into the seas?

Stern to for drifting/ shark fishing. she rides nice and smooth stern to.
Even when it's really rough.
If it's over 4-6 footers I'll anchor
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

pmueller
12-15-2010, 11:49 PM
I also have one from Cabela's , I hate to say it. Had a standard issue sea anchor, from a reputable company. Opening consistantly was always an issue. I'ld be done with the drift before the freikin umbrella would open correct. The Cabela's is the only one that I know of that has a float on one side and weights on the bottom. This enables the umbrella to open correct each time. Its just not a problem. No real fuss at all.
For drift mainemaince in big wind its great. Its also a tremendous saftey tool.
Pay more for the Cabela's product.
As stated above, go slightly above the size recommeded.

beamie
12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
I just got an idea..........from pmuellers post.....

I have some small sea anchors I use for slow trolling and yes once in a while they don't open on there own and you have to play with it. But.......if I put some floats on one side and weights on the other that will solve that problem everytime :love:

fishsmith
12-16-2010, 09:36 AM
sea anchors kick ass, my buddy uses one similar to the one typhoon lists.

They're pissa, I can't say enough how much better they make fishing on a windy day. And as much as I like to cheap out and use 5 gallon buckets for everything, the actual sea anchors work 10x better.

MakoMike
12-16-2010, 01:16 PM
I ordered this

www.alltackle.com: Canyon Sea Anchor 46 inch (http://www.alltackle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=CPSA46&Category_Code=)

about a month ago, they said it would show up about mid-january.

Doesn't look like it has any provision for a trip line?

MakoMike
12-16-2010, 01:18 PM
I am mainly getting one for laying over at night and in case of a breakdown or get thru some heavy weather and course to set up for chunking and lastly to controlling drift speed while bottom fishing

You don't want to have that in the water when you are chunking or it will wind up costing you fish and possibly the sea anchor if you fish with braid.