View Full Version : Striped bass spawning success depends on the weather

MakoMike
12-16-2010, 01:27 PM
From the Baltimore Daily Record:

More than two months before biologists threw their first net into the water to gauge the success of this year’s striped bass reproduction, Ed Martino had the answer, and he never had to leave his desk.

Rockfish reproduction, Martino determined in May, would be “well below average.”

The researcher with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Cooperative Oxford Laboratory came up with his conclusion by going online and looking at March though May river flows monitored by the U.S. Geological Survey and temperature data from Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport for the same period, then plugging the information into a mathematical model.

While Martino crunched numbers in his office, a team of biologists from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources waded into the water at 22 locations once a month from July through September. At each site, they did two sweeps through the water with a 100-foot seine net, then counted everything they caught.

When the work was done, the biologists had averaged 5.6 juvenile striped bass per net haul. That was less than half the long-term average of 11.6. After all of their field work, they had reached the same conclusion as Martino.

His model, which was developed with data from the DNR, confirms what biologists have thought for years: The weather during any given spring plays a huge role in determining how many larval striped bass survive to be “recruited” into the overall population. But his model puts an exclamation point to just how important weather is: In looking back to 1985, he can account for more than 80 percent of the annual variability in striped bass recruitment in Maryland, where the majority of the East Coast population is spawned.

This year, the model successfully predicted a poor year even though many fishery biologists — including Martino — thought it would be good.

But that predictability may contain a hint of problems on the horizon for striped bass. Although the coast-wide population remains above target levels, striped bass recruitment in Maryland has been below average for three consecutive years, largely because the weather hasn’t cooperated.

“The bay is full of spawners, but we are seeing a real reduction in recent years in reproduction,” Martino said. “So I think it’s pretty obvious that something else is going on in the environment.”

That “something else” may be found in work done by Bob Wood, the NOAA scientist in charge of the Oxford Lab. Wood suggests that a broader, long-lasting climate pattern called the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation may be affecting striped bass and other fish.

The Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation is an alternating pattern of warming and cooling over large areas of the Atlantic Ocean, similar to the El Nino, La Nina patterns in the Pacific. The shifts affect climate over large regions of North America. Various AMO phases, during which different parts of the Atlantic are warmed or cooled, persist for decades.

During certain AMO phases, which promote wetter winters, cool springs and more frequent nor’easters, the prevailing pattern seems to promote improved reproductive success for anadromous fish, such as striped bass, which live most of their lives at sea but return to freshwater to spawn.

During other AMO phases, which promote drier, warmer springs, the situation is reversed, with fish such as menhaden, that spawn on the coastal shelf and whose larvae use estuaries for nurseries, getting a boost. During those times, striped bass reproduction takes a hit.

Wood says those phase shifts are strongly correlated with the rise and fall of striped bass and menhaden stocks in the past.

Striped bass crashed because of overfishing in the 1980s, which was also a time when the AMO was in a phase unfavorable for their recruitment, so fish being caught were not being replaced. The ensuing rebound of striped bass stocks is often touted as a major fishery management success as managers took drastic actions, including a coast-wide moratorium, to protect the spawning stock. And it was. But Wood’s work strongly suggests that managers also got lucky. Their fishing moratorium coincided with an AMO shift that greatly improved striped bass spawning conditions.

“Had the weather not turned, we would have been waiting longer for that recovery,” Wood said.

Meanwhile, as striped bass recruitment bottomed out in the 1970s and 1980s, menhaden recruitment soared, only to fall to persistent low levels in the 1990s and 2000s as striped bass again benefited from the prevailing climate cycles.

The exact reason why temperature and the timing of river flows is so important is less certain. Martino and Wood theorize the cool temperatures delay the production of plankton until striped bass larvae are most abundant. The high flows may push those plankton and striped bass larvae together so the larvae, which are poor swimmers, have plenty to eat.

Conversely, warmer years benefit larval menhaden, which use the same nursery grounds, but arrive earlier and eat different kinds of plankton.

A better understanding of these long-term patterns can be a huge aid for fishery managers. Had they understood they were in the midst of a down-cycle for striped bass recruitment in the 1980s, for instance, managers might have acted sooner to curb fishing pressure, Wood said.

There are problems in using the information in management, though. The understanding of regional climate patterns is far from complete, and it is much easier to observe what happened in the past than to predict what will happen in the future. As a result, it’s hard to say with certainty whether the last three years of poor reproduction stemmed from a change in the AMO and will persist into the future — or their correlation is just coincidence.

Also, while striped bass recruitment has been poor the last three years, there’s been no boom in menhaden recruitment. The menhaden recruitment index remains below average.

MakoMike
12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I wanted to post this in the thread where we were arguing about striped bass breeding but I couldn't find it. So what does this do to the Big breeder/smaller breeder theory some of you guys are so fond of?

PaulS
12-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I read a book a few years ago (maybe John Cole's??) that discussed how the salinity, water temp, water flow, etc. had a huge part in the spawn.

JLH
12-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I wanted to post this in the thread where we were arguing about striped bass breeding but I couldn't find it. So what does this do to the Big breeder/smaller breeder theory some of you guys are so fond of?

Interesting read and it definitely makes sense that weather impacts the success rates but I don’t think it has bearing on the big breeder - small breeder argument. If you believe that larger fish produce more eggs and more viable young than smaller fish that holds true regardless of the weather on a given year.

WoodyCT
12-16-2010, 02:50 PM
So what does this do to the Big breeder/smaller breeder theory some of you guys are so fond of?

Absolutely nothing Mike.

Big fish will always produce more eggs than small fish.

Regardless of the weather.

Raven
12-16-2010, 03:24 PM
saw a tv show comparing the amount of
energy used by a mouse and an elephant

even though the elephant was 200,000 times
bigger than the mouse

it only used 10,000 times as much energy

so my point is.... the larger the breeder fish is
the less energy they need to expend in order to survive

MarkB
12-16-2010, 03:55 PM

I think what you're referring to is the difference between older, bigger fish and younger, smaller fish. It's the age that's more important - the size just goes along for the ride. While you may care about the size of the fish you catch, its the age of the fish that proves that it is a successful survivor. Older fish have proved themselves resistant to disease and parasites - you want those 'good genes' kept in the population.

Clammer
12-16-2010, 04:34 PM
BULL #^&#^&#^&#^& .,., just too many fisherman & not enough fish .. real simple math ><><:fishin:

RIROCKHOUND
12-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Just got a first hand report. the reliable Thames fishery has been slow for someone who fishes it a lot. In the exact words, the last time it was this bad was just before the crash....

numbskull
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM

It reinforces it very strongly. Large striped bass breed at a different time of the season than small striped bass. As a result the chance for catching a favorable weather pattern is doubled. Eliminate large fish and you not only greatly reduce the total number of eggs available to hatch, you also cut the chances of a successful spawning class in half.

Here is the link........enjoy

http://icesjms.oxfordjournals.org/content/57/2/403.full.pdf

Nebe
12-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Its pretty #^&#^&#^&#^&ing simple to solve this- when your out fishing, and you catch a keeper, throw it back..

stripermaineiac
12-16-2010, 08:29 PM
wasn't this part of that study done for aqua culture for striped bass back a few years ago?Some good work but it still is a study done in a small area. Stripers spawn in a lot of places that people don't reseaech. Nova scotia and Maine being just 2 of them.Some of the down side problems are coast wide not just in the Ches-bay area.
As far as keeping a nice fish or throwing it back well the Charter industry,comercial rod n reel and netters do the bulk of the damage. Most sportfishermen don't catch squat anymore and have a limited effect as they mainly catch smaller fish.Work in a tackle shop and see how few large fish are brought in to be weighed. Not a whole heck of a lot anymore. Ron

Clammer
12-16-2010, 10:23 PM
RIR

exactly the same in the winter places I fish / really noticed it last winter ..... but this year is worse .:fishin:
as of right now I doubt if the end of Dec thru all of March is going to be worth going :smash:

I,m real close to selling my saltwater water gear .save some bottom stuff & a couple of setups for large bass / just in case I want to target them a few times , catching large isn,t a problem , but try & target 10" to 20 " fish .completely different story .:uhuh:

yea I know your all catchin a bunch of schoolies . 24" to 35" ........those arn,t schoolies ><><><<>:wall:

MikeToole
12-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Of course weather plays a factor and so does many other things. There are many variable factors that can affect spawning success. The main way to over come this is to maintain the spawning stock at a level that will over come these issues.

Importance of big breeders is that they produce more egges. If only a small percentage of the fish will make it to one year old, the more eggs there are the more fish you have in the end.

If anything the posted article highlights the importance of protecting the breeding stock.

zimmy
12-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Completely supports the statement that big fish should be turned back. If the percentage is very low, you NEED more eggs. Without big breeders the numbers will be far worse. I'll use some simple math to explain best I can(obviously not real #'s).

Lets say that 1 out of every 1000 larval s-bass are recruited into the population. If a large striper produces 10000 eggs to the small basses 1000, you will get 10 larval fish recruited for each big bass and 1 for each small bass.

Without the enormous production of the big bass, the population can't sustain itself through the years with poor recruitment conditions.

Johnny
12-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Nice info but I was surprised to see in the end you asking what this does to the Big breeder/smaller breeder theory almost as though they were in direct conflict? Seemed to me the article points out how important it is to have good breeders of all sizes to help over come any/all reproduction challenges and variables. The membership reply covered it well.

Nebe
12-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Let them all go.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

afterhours
12-18-2010, 06:55 PM
gamefish...

Dick Durand
12-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Just got a first hand report. the reliable Thames fishery has been slow for someone who fishes it a lot. In the exact words, the last time it was this bad was just before the crash....

I've heard from a reliable source that the Providence River is slow as well. Given that there were few bass in the Bay this fall, I guess it shouldn't be surprising that there are fewer bass around now.