View Full Version : What is your usual gear for a fishing trip?

Notaro
03-31-2003, 02:04 PM
hey guys,
i wanted to know what kind of gears do you tend to equip yourself with on a fishing excursion?

i tend to carry an excessive equipment. my choice of equipments are:

1) a gym bag
2) two ords
3) 2 spikes
4) two tackle boxes
5)a cooler
6) measurement tape
7)berkley lip gripper
8)fillet knife
9)polarized sunglasses
10)rags
11)rubber bands
12) assorted rigs
13)bucket

chris L
03-31-2003, 02:55 PM
a rod , plug bag , maybe a back up reel and a bottle of water .

JohnR
03-31-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by chris L
a rod , plug bag , maybe a back up reel and a bottle of water . Me - an extra bottle of water (I'm a fat, 40 year old, has been, beer guzzling guy and need the extra water :wall: ) and my eels & korkers... Totals about 15 pounds and all hangs from my wader belt or harness, Korkers around my neck, one hand on an eel bucket - other on a rod.

Pack light young Jedi Warrior. You don't need all that stuff.

RickBomba
03-31-2003, 03:12 PM
Chris,
I'm sure you bring some sort of clear liquid along, maybe in a water bottle.
You drink water?
Just kidding, when I'm out in the water at night I tend to be much more responsible, too.:cool: Rick

Big Vern
03-31-2003, 03:24 PM
I try to carry as little equipment as possible in keeping with the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) doctrines. At this point, I head out with:

My Rod
Head Lamp
Waders
Pliers
Boga Grip
Plug Bag

I used to try to have one everything in the plug bag, but now I just load it according to the destination. The whole reduction theme has helped me be more mobile in the areas I fish.

STEVE IN MASS
03-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Notaro - since I do a bit more bait fishing than some of the others....

First off, any terminal tackle I need is in pouches on a belt around my waist. I have a belt (which doubles as a wader safety belt) with 3 pouches.....one can handle all the chunking leaders and hooks I need, extra swivels, my pliers, a few teasers for any plugs I might decide to throw, and a tape measure. Another small pouch has jigs and a bottle of pork rinds. The third, bigger pouch can hold 5 or more plugs/metal/GS's rubber, (depending on what I bring and their size).

If I am bait fishing, aside from the belt around my waist, I bring the chunking rod, and the plugging rod, in case chunking is slow, or I see a blitz of fish that I want plugs for.

In a 5 gallon bucket, I have 2 sand spikes (one for each rod), a board to cut bait on, the chunk bait, a few sinkers I may need, a bait knife, and any refreshments I might bring along, stored in cozies.

If I am strictly plugging, the chunking rod and the bucket stay in the car.

And always (unless it's the middle of the day), a maglite on a string around my neck.

Even when chunking, if it can't be carried at least a 1/4 mile in two hands comfortably, it stays in the car...............

Also wear a vest that has enough pockets to hold the mini swiss army knife, my cigarette lighter and the cigarettes, and other small items I might bring along...... (No one saw those nips of Absolute in there, did they?....;))

chris L
03-31-2003, 03:54 PM
Rick
If I drank clear liquids other than water , Id be in jail a whole lot more than I am . Dr Jekyl / Mr Hyde

Not to mention I wouldnt be able to fish !

Homerun04
03-31-2003, 03:58 PM
I carry a 19' Whaler, a 115 HP Merc, and a full tank of gas.......:D

fishweewee
03-31-2003, 04:02 PM
Notaro-

If you're humping your stuff over some distance I've found that a small backpack (i.e., North Face) with exterior water bottle holders helps a lot.

-WW

Mike P
03-31-2003, 04:16 PM
Rod and reel.

Plug bag---inside of which are spare spools for the reel I'm using, a box of plastic jig trailers, spool of leader material, spare flashlight, spare pliers and hook file. Teasers, too, if I bring them.

Small Plano box of snaps and swivels in my jacket flap pocket.

Lighter, spare tip and stick of ferrule cement in my other jacket pocket.

Nail clipper on a D-ring on my jacket.

Flashlight on a neck lanyard.

Hat.

Bug goop in my pants pocket away from anything plastic.

Needlenose pliers on my surf belt in a pouch, and Manleys on my pants belt just in case I get a hook in my hand. Left side if you're right handed ;)

That's for walk-in places if I'm plugging. It's a lot simpler with eels. A dozen snakes in a soft-side cooler with drain holes punched in it, and two frozen "blue ice" blocks under the eels. Loose hooks in the front pocket of the cooler. Leader material in the cooler with the eels, and several dry rags in my jacket pocket. I wear the surf belt and pliers outside my waders---the belt is strong enough to act as a stringer if I decide to keep a nice fish.

Now when you're fishing out of a 4x4, it's a whooooooole different story. Tackle shop on wheels, anyone?

Fishpart
03-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Rod
Backpack with too much stuff in it (Job Lot $6.99)
Eel Bucket

RickBomba
03-31-2003, 04:19 PM
4x4 no doubt...I bought a Suburban because the last shop was too small.:D
Rick

MakoMike
03-31-2003, 05:01 PM
Lunch, beer and get on the boat :D

IFG
03-31-2003, 07:50 PM
Gear:
Waders
Knife
ANother Knife
Light
Another Light
Backpack
Extra Reel
Extra Spool
Plug Bag
3 Plano 3500's
Hat
Rod
Another Rod
Pliers
Forceps
Camera
Scale
Snickers
Water
more Water
Twix
3 Muskateers
And a little luck

macojoe
03-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Wellcraft V20 with a 175 hp!! 1990 Chevy Blazer Full size with front cooler rack and rod holders.
If I can't do it a boat or truck I don't do it.
Macojoe

Notaro
03-31-2003, 08:04 PM
but how do i carry my baits and keep them fresh? i cant put them in the bag and it will funk the whole thing.

JohnR
03-31-2003, 08:11 PM
If you are going to do the chunkin' & dunkin', maybe ONE 5 gallon bucket with your bait tray and bait knife and sand spikes and bait in a mini cooler of some tpye but you can no longer join the ranks of the mobile, nearly bannished to where the parking lot meets the beach sand.. OK - kidding, a little. All depends on what you want to do. This applies to 90% of bait chunkers - not all but most, If you are going to go chunk bait, the fish will need to come to you or a general vicinity around you. If you pack real light and bring what is needed and otherwise just be efficient in your packing, you'll be able to cover a lot more water easily...

Just my opnion as I used to chunk a bit but not anymore...

Notaro
03-31-2003, 08:20 PM
ah, i see. tks, john. how come u dont chunk anymore?

redcrbbr
03-31-2003, 08:32 PM
i'm a canowhoopass mule:smash:

JohnR
03-31-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Notaro
ah, i see. tks, john. how come u dont chunk anymore? Because I saw a polar bear lug 47 pounds down to CanOWuppArse Point on Cutty last year :laughs:

Seriously - I won't knock chunking because it is very effective. I just personally prefer to plug or eel which are typically more mobile pursuits of fish as well as being more interactive. Lot more (to me anyway) to moving & casting form point to point than crushing tall boyZ :D :cheers: There are alos a lot of places off the beaten path to explore and its a lot easier to explore when you are not logisitcaly tied (ie 5 gal pail & a spike) to one spot

Jenn
03-31-2003, 09:21 PM
what do I bring??? hmm lets see...

too much of everything if its in the sand sled....

on foot.... I try to go light but never fail to pack everything I DONT need and nothing (or not enough) of what I DO need!!!

rod reel
flashlight
coffee when I can
water (hydration is key!)
honey buns:D (fat people like me need to eat to stay fat);)
knife
pliers (and make sure they have a cutter on them...you never know...:eek:)
those are most of my basics.....all the variable items I could make a REALLY long list out of!!!;) :D :eek: :smash:

fishweewee
03-31-2003, 09:27 PM
Pros of plugging: Active hunting, can cover more water.

Cons of chunking: Passive, limited to hunting one spot.

mrmacey
03-31-2003, 09:30 PM
go to my list of stuff i tow along!! i bring everything, diet coke ,cheeseits, italian subs, grapes,wheat thins,water, cookies, etc etc!............

Jenn
03-31-2003, 09:38 PM
go to my list of stuff i tow along!! i bring everything, diet coke ,cheeseits, italian subs, grapes,wheat thins,water, cookies, etc etc!............

YEAH!!!!!! thats what I want to hear!:p

mrmacey
03-31-2003, 09:39 PM
say are you here to picnic or fish!!:happy:

Jenn
03-31-2003, 09:51 PM
well...BOTH SILLY!:D

BasicPatrick
03-31-2003, 11:54 PM
With eels nothing is better than a soft six pack cooler with some sort of frozen non melting ice contraption. I just freexe soda bottles...my soft pack has a webb net p[ocket on the outside for a spool of leader and two pks of hooks and swivels

Canyon surf bag fits all i need for pluggin

Basics are always on the body...nail clippers, needle nose or whatever you like for pliers...bug spray...small roll of white cloth medical tape...mini mag lite in a pocket and hat light on hat...usually a length of rope or a throw bag on me also 9 Itake risks but come prepared for trouble)...

If I carry a 2nd rod then a sand spike can help but I rarely take it with me..

I keep soooomuch in the basic beach buggy that it is sickening...when 'I make my annual sojourn to the derby the Buggy holds 9 rods on the roof...7 rods in the hanger in side...4 on the front grill...not ot mention the 19' Mako in tow...oh yeah the fly rods sty broken down until use

my point is like everyone else...once you leave the vehicle travel light for comfort....but at the vehicle...

BRING IT ALLL

hooked
04-08-2003, 12:04 PM
I usually travel light. Whatever I can't get in a backpack or waist pack generally stays in the car.

However, on occasions when I'm going to be somewhat stationary and haul a bunch of crap across the beach, I found that it's easier to drag than to carry the buckets, beer, bait, beer, tackle boxes, beer, etc.

These plastic snow sleds glide pretty well over the sand and can be used to keep the fish slime off the upholstery.

Notaro
04-08-2003, 12:06 PM
that's a cool set-up. the thing is that i have no car. so when i get one, im going to try that method or make a beach buggy outta it.

Goose
04-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Must stink noy having a stinky truck though :hee:

Notaro
04-08-2003, 03:06 PM
yeah, big time.

Young Salt
04-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Eeewwww....Daddy, my sled smells funny. :laughs: