View Full Version : coyote

mikecc
12-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Not seeing many deer just coyotes. How about you guys

stcroixman
12-30-2010, 10:03 AM
look at the teeth on that critter. Just a killing machine.

One Shot?

mikecc
12-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes one shot .17HMR I figure if there is on deer I may as well use that gun.

Raven
12-30-2010, 11:35 AM
ya shot the sh!t out of him :uhuh:

Nice shootin MikeCC

Sgt_Nutz
12-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Funny this should come up now. I was just going to make a similar post. The last 2 snow storms I have hunted a parcel near my house and could not believe the amount of coyote tracks. 1st storm I found only 2 signs of deer where they had been feeding and bedded down. In both spots it appeared the coyotes had chased them out and up to some houses. Coyote tracks crisscrossing everywhere. Even following a turkey track until it disappeared. Flew off? This last Tuesday I went out tracking. Followed 2 sets of deer tracks that were intersected by coyote tracks and again pushed them out, towards houses. This time the woods looked like a checkerboard of coyote tracks! Especially in a couple of my favorite grouse covers. Have not seen a grouse the last couple of years. I think I may have found something to do this winter! Anyone want some coyote skins??

Mike, did you call that one in?

Goose
12-30-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't blame the coyote's, I blame hunter's for not seeing deer. Coyote's take down sickly or hurt deer not healthy deer,,by no means are they bringing down the herd. On the other hand that hunter mentality that ''if its brown its down'' has been many many hunters. To fill up your freezer is one thing but to fill yours and everyone else's....is just wrong ,, not to mention waste. Do hunter's have to shoot every doe or small buck they see? I've been guilty too. Its the same as fishing...

O.D. Mike
12-30-2010, 11:05 PM
I don't blame the coyote's, I blame hunter's for not seeing deer. Coyote's take down sickly or hurt deer not healthy deer,,by no means are they bringing down the herd. On the other hand that hunter mentality that ''if its brown its down'' has been many many hunters. To fill up your freezer is one thing but to fill yours and everyone else's....is just wrong ,, not to mention waste. Do hunter's have to shoot every doe or small buck they see? I've been guilty too. Its the same as fishing...

During bow season the first deer I see and it has to be 60lbs+ I'll take it! If its below that I won't shoot. I will practice a drawing on a small deer.
Being deerless this year with a couple days left, I may shoot anything that crosses my path!
My honest opinion is if its consumed, its not waste. I have a friend that will eat the freezer burned deer meat, so if anyone has some let me know... I bought a doe tag and never saw a doe. What I don't like is the state lets people buy as many doe tags as they want and they sell out in one day!

Get out there......

Mikecc, great job shooting the coyote!

american spirit
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
what do you do with a dead coyote? is the state of mass restricted to bow, shotgun, and muzzleloader hunting? i was on the mass.gov site and saw nothing about rifle seasons for any animals.

O.D. Mike
12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Scott,

HUNTING PROHIBITIONS

Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire,and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, between the hours of ½ hour after sunset and ½ hour before sunrise.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Goose
01-01-2011, 12:27 AM
O.D. Mike...don't me wrong what you describe is different, I'd do the same thing. Hunter are deers number 1 predators. Man is its biggest enemy, not the coyote's .. yeah,, sweet kill Mike, I shoot every one I see too but that's not the reason the deer are going down in numbers...its called greeeeeed!!!

O.D. Mike
01-02-2011, 08:21 AM
I've never seen so many tracks where I hunt. I did however find a coyote kill about three years ago. It was a small buck in velvet.

After hunting season the deer are always looking for food and when they can't find food they become weak and this is where the coyotes come into play. We are not out there to see it go down....

Goose, I understand what your saying about greed....

cheferson
01-02-2011, 11:07 AM
WHat do yo do with a coyote after you kill it? Nothing?

O.D. Mike
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
In Mass you need to check it like a deer. Then you skin it, tan it and make it into a coat so someone can spray paint it.

Then repeat the process.....

mikecc
01-02-2011, 08:56 PM
After loosing 3 dogs in my neighborhood in 1 week last year I started a CEP Coyote Eradication Program . It's working this is the first year in almost 15 years there are rabbits & woodchucks on the street. Now if I could do somthing about my neighbors cats pissing under my shed.:fury:

striperman36
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
a certain keeper' did that around here and we had bunnies all over this year.

JohnnyD
01-02-2011, 11:14 PM

Interesting. My mum lives off West St. near Bungay Lake and used to see them all the time around dawn - lots of undeveloped woods around her. She hasn't mentioned seeing any of 'em in a while. I'll have to ask her.

cheferson
01-03-2011, 07:48 AM
After loosing 3 dogs in my neighborhood in 1 week last year I started a CEP Coyote Eradication Program . It's working this is the first year in almost 15 years there are rabbits & woodchucks on the street. Now if I could do somthing about my neighbors cats pissing under my shed.:fury:

Don't take it the wrong way. I was was just curious, sure you had you reasons.

Saltheart
01-05-2011, 02:12 PM
FYI. Like any other prey , a heart shot is more humane. With a rifle why not?

I'm not against shooting Coyotes. We have removed all their natural preditors so we need to hunt them to control the population.

mikecc
01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Here is another

One month later, coyote attack claims dog - - Wareham, MA - Wareham Week VillageSoup (http://wareham-ma.villagesoup.com/news/story/one-month-later-coyote-attack-claims-dog/4995)

Saltheart
01-05-2011, 10:27 PM
They would do the same to a child if given the chance, they are dangerous animals. The law would instantly go after a bear or wolf that did that yet they do nothing about the Coyotes. I don't get it?

They should post a bounty and get rid of the problem quickly.

JohnnyD
01-05-2011, 11:05 PM

Asked my mum and she's still seeing yotes frequently in her neck of the woods.

keeperreaper
01-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Every chance I get I put them down. Especially with the woods around and all the little kids. I don't trust them. I haven't seen any around lately. :devil2:

striperman36
01-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Every chance I get I put them down. Especially with the woods around and all the little kids. I don't trust them. I haven't seen any around lately. :devil2:

Me neither thanks!!
I had rabbits for the second year in a row. Haven't seen any foxes though.