View Full Version : Piano Hinge Question??

BigFish
12-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Curious if anyone can tell me the weight limit on a standard Homies/Blowe's 48 inch piano hinge??? I am using it on a display cabinet and the front portion of the cabinet weighs approx.......30 pounds maybe a bit more??? Should I just beef up the screws and go with some with a little more length??? Maybe Bruce or Ross could chime in?? Thanks all!

nightfighter
12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
What is the length of the 30# door?(and what is it made of?) Many entry or interior doors don't weigh 30#, and they have 2 or 3X 4" hinges, with at least two 2 1/2" screws to catch a stud... Is it hinged vertical or horizontal? If you go with piano hinge, get more sections to go almost full length and beef up the screw depth. But I like to overbuild....

Or is it more like a steamer trunk design? If so, go with three individual hinges

Slipknot
12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
as long as you predrill into hardwood those should be fine, I assume it's a hardwood you are using?

those screws tend to snap off if you don't predrill with a Vix bit, get the right size as those screws are small

30 pounds is no problem as long as it's not less than 18" or something crazy

BigFish
12-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Approx. 42" by 30"....made of pine...don't ask you will see why Bruce!;)

Whats a Vix bit??

nightfighter
12-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Vix bit is a self centering bit. Piano hinge sounds good for those dimensions. Just don't get the 30#......:confused: and pine is soft if it will be hanging weightload.

BigFish
12-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Might be closer to 20 pounds.....not sure. Its not a "normal" door. Its a very unusual display cabinet and I will post pics when done.:uhuh:

Thanks guys!:)

Slipknot
12-30-2010, 06:00 PM
42" you'll be fine in pine as long as you put screws in all the holes

I assume it is a 1-1/2" piano hinge or something like that?

Beaver WW, most hardware stoers sell Vix bits, get one
you'll lose your mind trying to center holes predrilled if you don't have one

good to have anyway with all the projects you do
good luck

BigFish
12-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks Bruce! I go to Beaver all the time so I will pick one up with the hinge!:uhuh: