View Full Version : jointed nike

justinhill
01-02-2011, 11:55 PM
anyone made a jointed nike around 8 inches total length? if so can you please post some pics...thanks

justinhill
01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
well i guess if no one has made one i will try it. haha do they have belly wieghts?

numbskull
01-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Big tail weight. There is a @2005 or 2006 thread on how to weight them if you search. I think my first post ever is in it. Tagger built some good copies and figured out the fine details of weighting.

Canalman
01-03-2011, 07:08 PM
I made a few (not jointed) I didn't stick to the original weight scheme though, I used a tail weight and a chin weight so it sat slightly tail-down in the water, swam nicely. Jointed sounds interesting, might have to weight it centrally...

-Dave

justinhill
01-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I made a few (not jointed) I didn't stick to the original weight scheme though, I used a tail weight and a chin weight so it sat slightly tail-down in the water, swam nicely. Jointed sounds interesting, might have to weight it centrally...

-Dave

i was thinking about not wieghting it to start. remove the rear hook and in place put a tail fin made out of silicone. by placing a big blob of silicone in one corner of a plastic baggy and smooth it out to look like a tail fin...i dunno what do you guy think?

wrikerjr
01-04-2011, 07:17 AM
i was thinking about not wieghting it to start. remove the rear hook and in place put a tail fin made out of silicone. by placing a big blob of silicone in one corner of a plastic baggy and smooth it out to look like a tail fin...i dunno what do you guy think?

start there and then tweak. I would swim it in calm water moderate water and then heavy current. You will learn alot.

Canalman
01-04-2011, 08:42 AM

I'm all for any kind of experimentation, that's more than half the fun if you ask me. I love the fin idea, might try that one myself!

Tagger
01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Go for it , I've never seen anyone make one .. Just for the record that big Nike catches fish in the canal . Slingah told me he'd been catching fish on mine to my shigrin ..

justinhill
01-04-2011, 09:48 PM
to you guys that have made them...what kind of wood is best? i was thinking about getting round dowels from lowes that are poplar. its fairly light and how big around is the fattest part?

thanks
justin

ProfessorM
01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
depends on what size you are making . There are many sizes of that plug. They tend to be pretty large in the largest dia. of the plug so I don't think you will find dowels that large. I use AYC myself but I don't make the larger size. I like the med. size ones like these pictured below from an old batch I did. These are 1.5" at largest dia. and the larger ones like Eddie makes are 1.75" at largest dia. I am pretty sure I gave all the specs on the size I make last year in a Nike thread as Lawrence, BF, was making some. Do a search for it. If not I can give it to you again. Personally I have thought about a jointed one but never got around to it. I am not a big fan of jointed plugs so I guess that had something to do with it. It is a real good plug and kind of between a darter and a swimmer action. Good luck. Show your work please.

justinhill
01-05-2011, 10:39 PM
depends on what size you are making . There are many sizes of that plug. They tend to be pretty large in the largest dia. of the plug so I don't think you will find dowels that large. I use AYC myself but I don't make the larger size. I like the med. size ones like these pictured below from an old batch I did. These are 1.5" at largest dia. and the larger ones like Eddie makes are 1.75" at largest dia. I am pretty sure I gave all the specs on the size I make last year in a Nike thread as Lawrence, BF, was making some. Do a search for it. If not I can give it to you again. Personally I have thought about a jointed one but never got around to it. I am not a big fan of jointed plugs so I guess that had something to do with it. It is a real good plug and kind of between a darter and a swimmer action. Good luck. Show your work please.

wow those are really nice...i suck at thru wiring so im probably going to use screw eyes. i always miss drill and when i make the end loops on the tail they look like poo. ive tryed several times and i just cant get the thru wire to look good or swim good. they have dowels up to 2 inch i believe in poplar at lowes. its a light wood and i have had good luck with it due to how light it is. ive tryed pine and some swim some dont. ive been busy with work so in the next couple weeks ill get some wood turning hopefully. ive got the general idea down so ill make my own size and see what happens...ill prob be pulling my hair out as usual haha:jump1:

Canalman
01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Poplar needs to be sealed like 4000 times because it turns into paste when it gets wet. I made mine out of red cedar and cypress, I saw no discernable difference in their action. I think clear pine would be a great wood for these.

As for miss-drilling, how do you drill your thru-holes? I'm sure we can help you get that right. As for tail-loop, I'll try and describe how I do and when my wife gets home I'll have her take some pics...

First, gasp a phillips head screw driver in your vise point facing up, (if you don't have a vise, drill a hole in your work bench and put a piece of round steel in the hole... an old drill bit would work

Once the wire has been threaded through the plug bend it up slightly at a 45 degree angle, then using needle-nose pliers or if you have them, round wire bending pliers, grasp the wire as close to the tail grommet as possible and wrap the tag end of the wire around the pliers. Now squeeze the loop flat with your pliers so that both ends of the loop are touching. Now grab the plug by the body and loop the wire around the screwdriver and grab the tag end of the wire with a pair of vise grips. Wrap the wire around itself in tight coils, all the time pulling the tag end out and away from the center to ensure maximum tightness. Now just trim off the excess wire and you're good to go.

Hope that makes sense! :devil2:

new jack
01-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM
01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
here you go everything you always wanted to know from a thread last year.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/plug-building-got-wood/60753-nike-challenge-thread.html

as far as tail wraps go practice and more practice will eventually lead to success. Get some crap cheap wire and practice so you don't waste SS wire.

justinhill
01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Poplar needs to be sealed like 4000 times because it turns into paste when it gets wet. I made mine out of red cedar and cypress, I saw no discernable difference in their action. I think clear pine would be a great wood for these.

As for miss-drilling, how do you drill your thru-holes? I'm sure we can help you get that right. As for tail-loop, I'll try and describe how I do and when my wife gets home I'll have her take some pics...

First, gasp a phillips head screw driver in your vise point facing up, (if you don't have a vise, drill a hole in your work bench and put a piece of round steel in the hole... an old drill bit would work

Once the wire has been threaded through the plug bend it up slightly at a 45 degree angle, then using needle-nose pliers or if you have them, round wire bending pliers, grasp the wire as close to the tail grommet as possible and wrap the tag end of the wire around the pliers. Now squeeze the loop flat with your pliers so that both ends of the loop are touching. Now grab the plug by the body and loop the wire around the screwdriver and grab the tag end of the wire with a pair of vise grips. Wrap the wire around itself in tight coils, all the time pulling the tag end out and away from the center to ensure maximum tightness. Now just trim off the excess wire and you're good to go.

Hope that makes sense! :devil2:

i drill from the front half way then the back 3/4 of the way then take a long drill bit and hope the 2 intersect some how. i tried just using the long drill bit and it bends and goes out the top or bottom. then when i finally get it thru with wire i make the bend my needle nose made marks in the wire and looks like ass. i use round nose pliers too and i think they are too small because they dont bend it too well. do you just use a square piece of woodcedar or pine and turn it down? or is it some what round?

saltydog
01-08-2011, 07:19 AM
justinhill, if your lookin for BIG DOWELS---> LOWES I believe they have a 2"round havent been there in a while but I did see them.
GOOD LUCK GOOD BUILDIN:uhuh: