View Full Version : Bag to Belt

numbskull
01-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Thinking of trying clips to belt rings, but I like to be able to swing/slide the bag (4 tube square) forward to change plugs often. I want the bag behind me (on L hip) while casting. Seems like fiddling with clips between the belt and bag when the bag is behind me would be cumbersome. Do people find this the case? Are large loops that let the bag slide on the belt a better option?

afterhours
01-06-2011, 07:29 AM
it's no problem at all george- it becomes second nature and you'll be glad you did it. i had 2 clips put on my mak and hunter bags but usually only use one for most apps. i also keep the bag on my left rear hip/back area and change plugs often- just reach around with right hand to clip or unclip.

Thumper
01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
They are both good options and will work. If you are looking for something to just keep the bag from moving around go for the clips. If you are looking for something to keep most of the weight off your back and shoulder go with the oversized belt loops.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Andy Pon
01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
i have a 4 tube bronco bag on my belt, back right, and i can slide it up to my front enough to change quickly. then push it back, its quick and easy

chefchris401
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
I use the belt method, but I carry a two tube. Easily slides to the front for easy plug changes.

I have used the clip method, it does work, especially nice for swimming so the bag doesn't float up or shift too much.

eskimo
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I was planning on putting one sliding trigger clip on the back of bag and a U-bolt on my belt. Just enough to stop it from sliding. I have a few things on both sides of my belt so I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to slide it around as far as I needed if I had it through I belt loop.

tattoobob
01-06-2011, 04:48 PM
I like the big loops, it slides easy on the belt and keeps it from floating when deep wading

MAKAI
01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Have really liked the ease of a sling bag.
Stays put and easily pulls to the front when needed.
Tennis ball tubes are nice for plugs.
Current slings don't last long though.
Pliers ,knife and such stay on the web waist belt.
Just my 2 pennies.

Adam_777
01-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm no pro.I keep my right side clear.I slide my bag to my back when casting.Reach back and slide it back to the front for plug changing.I keep pliers,knife and a small pouch on the left side.I use a bianchi gun belt.It's not as wide as most surf belts so my bags move out of the way easily.It's the only way I fish.I just got a 3 tube Ebpoint bag a month ago.I had him sew belt loops on the bag and it has clips.It works in my in home field tests.The AS small tall I used for the last few years has adjustable loops and also worked well for doing that.

Canalman
01-06-2011, 05:20 PM
A stainless 3" caribeaner clip threaded onto your belt works great and it clips/releases pretty easily.

MAKAI
01-06-2011, 05:29 PM
The sling is very helpful when wading in water thats over the top of a belt bag.
You can open it up just under your neck if you need to.

Tagger
01-06-2011, 08:44 PM
George i use the shoulder strap and a wading belt thru the loops in the bag .. Bag trolleys around the belt nicely and pics up some of the weight of the bag so it's not all on your shoulder . I could never go back to just a shoulder strap ..

eskimo
01-07-2011, 03:34 PM
another idea. Found this clip that mounts. If mounted to your belt all you would need to do is push either ring (or both) from your bag down onto it. Might be better then a dangling clip.

Chris in Mass
01-07-2011, 08:04 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/55728-bw-4-tube-bag-mods.html

Did this mod in the link above. I have two rings in the picture bolted on the back of a stiff belt that the bag clips to. Easy off to swing the bag around front when changing.

ivanputski
01-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I use a 3 tube bag that I keep on my belt, no shoulder strap. When I need a lure change, I slide it along the belt around my waist in front of me... Th only pain is that I keep my pliers on my right hip, so I have to slide my pliers first, then the bag... Would be good if I could attach my plier to the side of my bag...

GattaFish
01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I am a shoulder strap and belt loop guy.

It makes it easy to tuck the 3 tube bag in the lower back area out of the way when your swimming or not needing a plug.

When you need a plug it just spins around to the side or front very easily....

The belt loops also help distribute the weight and make an overstuffed bag feel weightless on an all niter.

Frankiesurf
01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
A stainless 3" caribeaner clip threaded onto your belt works great and it clips/releases pretty easily.

I second that. You can even get the aluminum ones from Home Depot for like 99 cents. buy a bunch and if they start to corrode from, say, not washing them off ever, just toss it and get a new one.

I use the damn things for everything.

Nebe
01-14-2011, 11:49 PM
How about Velcro??? Mount the "Cro" on the back of your belt and the "vel" on the back of your bag. When you want to switch plugs, rip the bag off your belt