View Full Version : John,better get that milk and bread!!

eelman
12-28-2000, 09:28 AM
The weather Chanell is now saying that we will get more than a foot of snow on saturday!! and ,rhode island and southeastern ma will get the most and heaviest of the snow! A good ole fashioned Nor'easter!! Bring it on!!

As I Listen right now to the weather man as I Type he is saying the storm will slow down after it passes Block Island and become a blizard right smack on top of us!!! Get the snow shovel ready!!!!!!!!!!

JohnR
12-29-2000, 09:32 AM
That cracks me up!! I went into the store last night and the milk and bread were nearly cleared from the shelves. I'm walking the aisles and everyone I see has milk and bread piled up in the shopping carts...

... As #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, Mike P, and Saltheart have previously stated, with the first hint of snow in Rhode Island, there is a blitz on the markets (super) for milk and bread that makes the run for water and batteries in a Florida hurricane look like a casual shopping trip...

The weather reports are varrying from 6 inches to over 14 before this thing is all over. The weather people were saying the the two storms would collide and BOMB :P . Of course, these people have been calling every dusting a massive storm...

Saltheart
12-29-2000, 01:24 PM
I'll be nice and cozy in a hotel suite in south county before it gets bad (I hope before it gets bad. That way we're all settled in beforethe heavy stuff and we don't have to worry about getting there on new years eve . Well that's the plan at least. Sometimes mother nature makes us reevaluate or plans. In this case , if the storm arrives and intensifies too early , I'm screwed.
But I will be taking a ride today to get some milk and bread for mom! Gotta be done , just in case! :)

Mike P
12-30-2000, 01:17 AM
My wife must be a closet Row Dylunduh--we were visiting Mom in Pawtucket, supposed to leave tomorrow (now today). She insisted we leave tonight, and before we left, she phoned me in a panic because we only had one snow shovel, and no hardware or department store on the Island had any left!! So, off to Home Depot where they were also few and far between, but still present. You guys panic buy the milk and bread, on LI it's a run on shovels and ice melt.

I gassed up in Seekonk for the drive home on the way back from CMS--when I got to the Dairy Barn on the Seekonk and RI line, there were 20 cars lined up at the pumps waiting to fill up. That kills me more than the bread and milk--the cars sit in the yard until the streets are down to bare pavement, with topped off tanks :)

JohnR
12-30-2000, 11:36 AM
Hehehe, this all cracks me up,and I thought us New Englanders weren't snow pansies :P

When I moved back to Maryland from Mass in 82, there was this "Valentines Day" storm that left a foot of snow in Boston and and a foot in Pasadena (halfway between Baltimore and Annapolis). The snow ended Sunday afternoon in both locations. In Boston, school was delayed two hours on Monday but in MD, school was out 'til Thursday and it was delayed two hours every day until Tuesday of the following week...

...Another thing I've noticed about Rho Dyslanders, hardly anyone actually comes to a complete halt at stop signs!! My truck broke down last week (for the nth time) and as I waited at the intersection for the ramp truck, I must've seen 80% of the cars not come to a stop with half of them only slowing to about 20mph. No wonder my insurance has gone up 50% since moving from Mass... >(

Mike P
12-30-2000, 09:46 PM
Well, when the dust settled, we had 14" in the backyard, with some 2' drifts here and there. We took the kids sledding at a nearby park in the Jeep. I love the idiots who think 4wd makes them bulletproof, I watched an Explorer spin out and bury itself in a drift--and I resisted the temptation to stop and help him dig out, too ;) Just like I drive by the idiots who Bigfoot it or drive with 36 psi in their tires on the beach.

Tomorrow's assignment is to dig out the wife's car, and shovel that half of the driveway.

Funy thing here I noticed is, the quality of the plowing varies according to who is doing it. I live on the border between two towns, and my town has the roads pretty well dry. The next town west did a terrible job, there's still roads that a plow hasn't visited. The county roads are down to the pavement curb to curb, but the state maintained ones are a disgrace.

JohnR
12-31-2000, 12:16 PM
Well, we switched to rain early and have maybe three inches of mixed snice. The snow came down fast and furious for a couple hours before switching and the stars were out by 8pm... Mike, you're right about yahoo drivers. I especially like the people that try to go into 4wd AFTER they are stuck... Just doesn't work that way :P

Canalratt1
12-31-2000, 03:37 PM
Well I was on the ice till the storm hit and lo and behold we only got an inch total! I got my milk and bread today and there was plenty on the shelve with no one in the store.

Jenn
01-02-2001, 09:30 AM
Just got back from the Northeast Kingdom!! Beautiful!! We had at least four to five inches of new snow everyday for the five days we were there! It was so pretty watching the trees as they hung so heavy with snow you thought they would collapse! Also some good news....we have been going there for about five years now and I FINALLY got to see a moose in the wild !! Spectacular! And for all you deer hunters...WOW! I have never seen so many deer tracks up there! anyway it is back to reality and I have to go to work now.... :(

P.S. yep....the truck didnt start when we went to leave either....but good thing the hubby is a mechanic!! :)

JohnR
01-02-2001, 09:40 AM
Jenn, based on my many years of being a Shade-Tree mechanic as well as working in dealership service departments, most mechanics I know would not operate a car unless it had several problems that defined it's "character". Character items such as:
Predicting when it would not start but knowing and being prepared for getting it started.
Parking car in spots allowing quick jumpstart or push start (was doing that last week :P )
Not repairing various "flaws" because if you jiggle the handle just right, it will operate as designed without further repair (not only applicable to your automobile :o )

Jenn
01-03-2001, 01:04 AM
yup! you said it! You know he TOLD me he needed to change the glow plud timer...but it was still "working" so he didnt....and he brought it just in case!!! But good thing he knew just how to um....how you say .....fanagle???? He got it going thank goodness.....that is until next time.... :)