View Full Version : Lip Lock Usage

Yuletide
04-01-2003, 08:47 PM
Anyone have any feedback on using a Lip Lock?

I've been looking at them and they look pretty cool. The Berkley one seems priced in my $ range.

Any feedback?

RockLobsta
04-01-2003, 09:09 PM
I satrted using one last year. I love it. Don't leave home without one.

JohnR
04-01-2003, 09:13 PM
YT - started using one last year - Like much. But I'm seriously considering the new Rapala - even for the more coin...

macojoe
04-02-2003, 01:26 AM
I also have been using one for 2 years now. I am looking at the rapala also. the Berkly is good but I have had problems with the pin that holds the thing toghter. And it has sliped on me a couple of times. I have ground the tip to two small points and it holds great now.
Macojoe

Gloucester2
04-02-2003, 10:56 AM
I picked up the Rapala version from MikeCC - he had the best price by about 20 - 25% ($65 vs 80-85+ elsewhere). It seems solid and well engineered.

Only trip I've been on the cod were too small to bother weighing . . . don't want to look like a googan (any more than I already do :D )

Yuletide
04-02-2003, 10:34 PM
I found the Berkley for $29 at Decathalon Sports...also a pretty good supply of Storm lures.

My brother just picked one up....it may be my "Toy" to get this season.:kewl:

Homerun04
04-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Does the Rapala have a scale as well on the lip grip?

fishsmith
04-03-2003, 07:30 AM
What is the benifit of these? Is it just to know what the fish weighs? I look forward to the scratches on my thumb from good day of catching stripers, and for blues I find the safest way to hold them is right under the gills.

mikecc
04-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Large lip grip(24"for Baot) $25.95 + $5. rebate final cost $21.95

:D

JohnR
04-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Yuletide
I found the Berkley for $29 at Decathalon Sports...also a pretty good supply of Storm lures. Just, remeber - Decathalon is a French company :laughs: . But that's OK, I try not to buy from them, SA, & #^&#^&#^&#^&s either...

They just put up a #^&#^&#^&#^&s Sporting Goods in Warwick. I checked it out when I had some time to kill. I walk in to the fishing "Emporium" and 1st thing I see is a rack of St Croix rods - hey this might actually be an improvement! Then I saw the reels and prices - just like SA, they carry the same stuff - a couple models of ABUs the Corsairs and Calcuttas, and the line of Penns which on average seemed 15-20% higher than what Mike sells them for.

There were some interesting things but the prices were generally high and I saw few good deals. I did see some interesting lures that are new to this area but it was basically a bigger and slighlty more rounded out version of SA. Not as good as the local shops I go to.

I also saw that Berkley Iron Silk Line - it was like the cable you would use on Suspension Bridges! It was not soft at all...

Van
04-03-2003, 08:33 AM
I really like the rapala lock and weigh. It kinda pricy though.

I would like to see a longer handle too. Reaching down from my gunwale ain't a good idea. Thats why I have a long net.

Maybe its better used once the fish is boated. But thats also why I have not got one yet.

Mike is that 24" a rapala or berkley ?

mikecc
04-03-2003, 08:39 AM
24" = Berkley
The Rapala only comes in one general size but it comes with a 20Lb scale or 60 Lb scale

GBOUTDOORS
04-03-2003, 12:02 PM
I used the Berkley unit last season and found it very good. Picked up the Rapala scale unit last week at Mike's and think it is great but time will tell. The thing I like the most about the Rapala unit other than scale is that you do not need to work the trigger to open and put on fish. You just push it down over the lower lip and it grabs on.

PS if I were getting the Berkley now I would go with the 24" unit as it would be that much easyer to use over the side of the boat.

Young Salt
04-03-2003, 04:55 PM
I still think that the best way to go is with the Cabela's brand plastic fish grippers.....$9.99......can't go wrong.
You see, I have this tendancy to lose stuff while I fish....over the gunwale....on the beach.....off the rocks.....some things I dont even know where I lost. :smash: :hs:
It has a hole drilled in the end, so you can hook a scale into it to weigh a fish.
It's day-glo orange, making it easier to find.
Will FLOAT when you drop it in the water (Unless it's locked onto a fish ;))

The one problem i've run into happens to me with both bass and blues.....when I get the fish close to the boat some fish won't open their mouth to let you grab 'em.