View Full Version : ICE SAFETY

UserRemoved1
01-09-2011, 03:25 PM
PLEASE BE CAREFUL :smash:

Fishermen Fall Through Ice, 1 Drowns - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/26409803/detail.html)

That was Friday night.

I'm listening to another on the scanner right now with two people, one out and one submerged. Not sounding good.

ivanputski
01-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Wondering how many guys go out with spike-grips worn around their neck, and with a length of rope to throw to someone in need? I admittedly forget the rope many times, yet I somehow never forget to bring food, coffee, venison, grill...

Back Beach
01-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I was on the ice with my older son today. While there was plenty of ice to walk on, there were still some unsafe spots here and there. It still hasn't been real cold for an extended time yet so always be weary. It may save your life.

The Dad Fisherman
01-09-2011, 07:08 PM
8-10 inches of Ice on the Ponds in my neck of the woods...was out yesterday for a few hours.....you gotta check it out before you head out and make sure its safe.

Not all lakes freeze at the same rate

UserRemoved1
01-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Ice rescue earlier was in Sturbridge just fyi in case anyone was wondering they were able to get the guy out of the water. Don't know any more than that.

Rob Rockcrawler
01-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Wow thats a bit close to home, and close to the Tabbit. I will look for some info. There were quads on my lake in sturbridge today. I have a feeling i know where it was, a little moving water does a lot of damage to the ice.

striperman36
01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Ice rescue earlier was in Sturbridge just fyi in case anyone was wondering they were able to get the guy out of the water. Don't know any more than that.

Says Hancock, NH?

FishermanTim
01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
It happens every season.
There are always people that head out onto the ice overloaded with all the gear EXCEPT the knowledge to know where the bad spots are and when to stay on shore.
In NH, they have at least one person go through the ice on a quad or sled or even car/truck. The larger vehicles are usually near a boat ramp, so those qualify more as bad luck/bad timing when they hit the ice.
The quad/sled accidents tend to be the orimary results of drinking and riding at night. It amazes me that people will risk serious injury and death just for a thrill ride.

As for the person that doesn't do their homework and learn about the particular body of water they are about to head out on, I can only say that they created their own problem.
I can only hope that any dunking incidents do not result in fatalities.
I hope we have all paid attention and will not take any stupid risks out on the ice!

Good luck and stay safe!

MAKAI
01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
The only ice I like is in my glass.
I don't need to catch mud snakes and small bass that bad.
If it were muskies and big lakers I'd think about it.
I will go for the barbeque though

Mr. Sandman
01-10-2011, 04:51 PM
4" thick here yesterday...kids were playing hockey all day. pretty solid. If it is 4 or more" I let them go. 3" is actually pretty safe for a small group. 4+ I don't worry. I don't fish thru ice. The only winter fishing I do is for Marlin :)

UserRemoved1
01-10-2011, 05:45 PM
There was one there too and the guy died Bill.

Says Hancock, NH?

Kierran
01-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Three things that I don't step on the ice without are: spudbar, ice picks and rope.