View Full Version : Acrylic Paints - Alternatives to Createx and the Craft paints ??

WoodyCT
01-10-2011, 05:14 PM
My mouth was watering this afternoon when I walked into the art room at school and saw all the fresh one pint bottles of Chromacrylic paint in nice pretty colors!:drool:

The art teacher, artist Luther Hall, gave me a Nasco supply catalogue and it is loaded with all kinds of stuff - Liquitex, Createx, and a bunch of others I've never heard of. Some cool looking metalics, pearls, interference and other stuff.

We all use Createx, Ceramcoat and the Apple Barrel stuff, but . . .

what else has been tried, and worked or failed?

the greek
01-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Fascolor makes some great paint in my opinion especially their pearls. They are very vivid colors and shoot great straight out of the bottle. The only downside for me with them is cost and availabilty. I don't like doing the online ordering thing so I get them at Hobbytown USA which is a short drive from me. I like createx but again the cost and availability thing. I like the wide selection of colors with the "craft" acrylics that are sold in the big craft store but some colors don't do well when you get them thin enough to shoot through the airbrush, especially pearls and pearl white seems to be the worst. Ceramacoat pearl white works well and goes on sale for .88 cents alot. The Folk Art metallics work well even thinned, actually very well. Deco Art pearl white was the worst I tried when thinned. It would not shoot a solid coat it spiderwebbed no matter what I tried to thin it with. On another note a friend gave me some createx transparent base and I found it to be great for thinning the craft acrylics. I think it is just a clear acrylic with no pigment. Fascolor makes some also called fascoat.

l.i.fish.in.vt
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Woody,i have been using plain old oil based enamel for for over 10 years now. i have never had paint peel or come off in pieces like i see on a lot of other plugs.i pay about 7 dollars a quart for the ace brand oil.you can buy metalic flake from paint with pearl that yo can mix with the paint.i can have any color i want mixed.

WoodyCT
01-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys.

I tried that Chromacryl, and it was too transparent for my liking once I thinned it enough to use.

If I had a shop away from the house I could use enamels, but I can't take a chance on retarding the kids. The wife, she's another story.:uhuh:

GattaFish
01-10-2011, 10:48 PM
I can't take a chance on retarding the kids. The wife, she's another story.:uhuh:

:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:... funny sheet....

ProfessorM
01-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Luv Golden. A little pricey but a very nice product.

EricW
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Luv Golden. A little pricey but a very nice product.

Another vote for Golden. They make some really awesome colors. I get the little 1 oz bottles. I think they are 4-7.00 each. I scored a bunch of them on ebay for about 2.00 each. They need to be thinned. Golden also makes a really nice thinner. I have gotten mine at art stores in Boston. Mass ave has several from central square to harvard. I forget the names, but I just know them by where they are. You can get some really nice stuff at the professional stores. I've never tried it, but you can get pigments and make all sorts of paints if you wanted. I also use createx, Auto air, Delta and Folk art. Folk art has some really good metallic colors.

Those interference paints are really interesting. Golden makes one that I think is spot on for the bottom of a pogy.

pbadad
01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Woody on standard colors I use Benjamin Moore sample paint and cut them 1 for 1. Black, yellow , white.