View Full Version : Another breach on the Vineyard

Swimmer
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Some of you may know, but others may not, a breach occured to the beach east of the windmill house on Chappy. Pics were sent to Bobby Mckay and he forwarded them to me. I'll try and upload them later. The break is about a hundred feet wide and four feet deep. It essentially creates an island of the North Beach side of the gut.

goosefish
01-11-2011, 03:09 PM
I just saw a picture of it. Could be a very hot spot. I wonder how hard the tide is running through there?

fishpoopoo
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
wow.

Swimmer
01-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I just saw a picture of it. Could be a very hot spot. I wonder how hard the tide is running through there?

I know how hard it runs just a short distance away. Probably wont be much different. There is no parking there though because it is private on both sides. The owner of the windmill house probably wont stop and fishing on the inside, but outside there, unless your walking, your not aable to fish it. It wont fill in thats for sure, because no current will bring the gravel and/or sand back through the opening from the pond.

wader-dad
01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Is the breach about half way from the Lighthouse to the soft side of the Gut or closer to the Gut. I am not sure where the Windmill House is. Will this lessen the flow out of the Gut?

MVbluefish
01-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Where did you see a picture of it? I didn't even hear about this. :eek5:

wader-dad
01-11-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.mvsurfcasters.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=NA4ZZCDgQbk%3d&tabid=40&mid=405

likwid
01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.mvsurfcasters.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=NA4ZZCDgQbk%3d&tabid=40&mid=405

Much like a bunch of spots, looks like it was ready to go for a while.
Just took the right weather to blow it out finally.

eelskimmer
01-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Peter Johnson, owner of Roberts Lures took
the pictures. Peter and his company are
resident on MV. Great pic but in old days we
used to wade across the Gut. The Old Days
when men were men.

likwid
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
The Old Days
when men were men.

And sheep were scared? :hihi:

capecodkid
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Hopefully the Bonito will stack up there come August. Maybe it'll create some more action inside the pond as well.

stripermaineiac
01-11-2011, 10:12 PM
So that means you can only fish the Gut from North Neck now then or am I missing something.Ron

Mr. Sandman
01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
It is pretty shallow, It is hard to tell if it gets better or worse from here. If I had to guess this breach will close up by summer but I am often wrong.

What is really bad is the erosion in the "Metcalfs Hole" area...jeezus that place is actually gone. The amount of sand that is gone is mindboggling. I am going to drive out that way this weekend and check it out. I will report back.

People can say what they want but I would argue that the timing of the massive "controlled burn" out at wasque removing all the trees is negatively contributing to the erosion of the shoreline. The beach (& breach) occurred a couple years after this big burn There is a boundary layer effect that the trees and brush provide...now the place is windswept bare. How is this "better". Now these are "experts" and they "know" what is "best" but if you ask me we would have been better off if you left the natural trees and brush.

I am not a fan of burning the down nature to eradicate some "invasive" species or whatever the reason and I don't think they have made a good case for doing this.

RIROCKHOUND
01-12-2011, 10:04 AM
It is pretty shallow, It is hard to tell if it gets better or worse from here. If I had to guess this breach will close up by summer but I am often wrong.

I'd wager this is pretty close to being spot on. Storm/weather dependent of course. I doubt the pond has the tidal prism needed to keep it open.

likwid
01-12-2011, 05:24 PM

What is really bad is the erosion in the "Metcalfs Hole" area...jeezus that place is actually gone. The amount of sand that is gone is mindboggling. I am going to drive out that way this weekend and check it out. I will report back.

People can say what they want but I would argue that the timing of the massive "controlled burn" out at wasque removing all the trees is negatively contributing to the erosion of the shoreline. The beach (& breach) occurred a couple years after this big burn There is a boundary layer effect that the trees and brush provide...now the place is windswept bare. How is this "better". Now these are "experts" and they "know" what is "best" but if you ask me we would have been better off if you left the natural trees and brush.

I am not a fan of burning the down nature to eradicate some "invasive" species or whatever the reason and I don't think they have made a good case for doing this.

Not like the sandbar known as the Vineyard wasn't going to wash away anyhow. :D

Swimmer
01-12-2011, 05:26 PM
MVbluefishQuote:
Originally Posted by goosefish http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/curves/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/68483-another-breach-vineyard.html#post826471)

Where did you see a picture of it? I didn't even hear about this. :eek5: Ron Dumurat and Backlash was my source for the picutres. My pictures show the break is very close to the windmill house, I would bet within four hundred feet, (geez in the mid-80's that was for sale for $395,000). The sand topsoil there was only a few inches deep on the front beach, and what was underneath was extremely hard packed. It had to take a hell of a beating to break through, even though the entire spit is only a few feet higher than the highest tide.

My thought is that walking across is possible and at very low tide, drivng across maybe possible. It could create a beneficial tidal flow for fish and hardshell clams. One never knows.

JohnR
01-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Then Hawkeye should have let you drive that night.

Seriously, that is always changing. How many years was the south side breach open before it eventually closed the last time?

goosefish
01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
MVbluefishQuote:
Originally Posted by goosefish http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/curves/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/68483-another-breach-vineyard.html#post826471)

Where did you see a picture of it? I didn't even hear about this. :eek5: Ron Dumurat and Backlash was my source for the picutres. My pictures show the break is very close to the windmill house, I would bet within four hundred feet, (geez in the mid-80's that was for sale for $395,000). The sand topsoil there was only a few inches deep on the front beach, and what was underneath was extremely hard packed. It had to take a hell of a beating to break through, even though the entire spit is only a few feet higher than the highest tide.

My thought is that walking across is possible and at very low tide, drivng across maybe possible. It could create a beneficial tidal flow for fish and hardshell clams. One never knows.

A friend of mine sent me the shot, the one taken from the airplane. It does look shallow and I do agree with Sandman that it might shoal over by summer's end. But hard to say.