View Full Version : spar/ms gone bad?

Ryan560
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I know this has been covered before but I can't find the thread I was looking for.. Anyway I've had this batch of sealer about a year and it has recently turned to jelly on the bottom. I read somewhere it's because of air getting in to the jar. I'm pretty sure the thread also stated that it can be saved by straining out the mixture and adding more mineral spirits? Just wanted to ask here and make sure, seems to me like the jelly stuff is the spar urethane setting up because air got to it? I think the mineral spirits I used might have something to do with it, I used some stuff in a white jug my friend had given me which is probably v.o.c. compliant junk.. I attached a picture,there is about 3/4" of jelly at the bottom. Any suggestions?

Hoping I can still save this stuff because I'm strapped for cash..:wall:

Sgt Striper
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
It's been mixed for a year!! I'm lucky to get 2 months once it's mixed up, consider yourself lucky. Strain it and add more ms.
If you are only doing a few plugs at a time try the tall olive jars and mix when needed.

Ryan560
01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
:rotf2:
Thanks Sarge. That's what I'll do..I usually only do 5 or 6 plugs at a time or however many I can stuff in there without it overflowing. I think it's time for a new jar,last time I was in the craft store getting paint I was eyeballin one of those canning jars with a rubber seal and clamp on top.

Grapenuts
01-12-2011, 01:14 PM
this is what happens when any spar/urethaine sits for a long period...the solids in it settle to the bottom..the oils stay mid stream and the thinners go to the top.....STIRRRR it up good...then strain out the solids that have gone to far south to break down and mix in...no big deal...ad more mix and remember to shake it once a week when not in use.

Ryan560
01-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks will do.
I usually seal plugs every 2 weeks or so, I'll start shaking it up more in between uses as well.

pbadad
01-13-2011, 10:48 AM
I use the canning jar lids with a vacuum food saver for my KBS Clear Coat. At $50.00 a quart I'm not taking chances. Been 3 weeks and no problem. Remember air cures these finishes. I had val oil last year skim up after 6 months. Strained , cut a little w/ pure turps and used it fine.

ProfessorM
01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
also take a freezer zip lock bag and cut in half, 2 pieces, and lay one on opening before you put lid on tight. This will help too. I try to shake it every time I see the bottle sitting there.

Lower
01-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Timely post. I actually made a few plugs and went to seal them. My spar/ms looked like sludge. Trying to figure out what to do next. Thanks for the help.

Ryan560
01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks again fellas. I've been putting a piece of plastic shopping bag in between the cover, I'll try the freezer bag technique.

WoodyCT
01-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I have a gallon of Helmsman Jello ready for the trash man.

JMAC_kerel
01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
I used to use MS to cut my Spar for sealing but had the same "jello" issues after a while. I read somewhere a while back about using pure turps instead of MS and I have now been trying it. It does have a stronger odor but I have had zero jello(ing) problems. At least in the month or 2 I have been using the mix.The plugs I've done with it seem to be sealed just as well as the MS/Spar mix.

Ryan560
01-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Joe I remember reading the pure turps tip, of course I already had mixed mine with ms. Next batch of sealer is definitely getting pure turps for sure