View Full Version : Introducing myself

Hookset
01-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Hello

I have been lurking in the background for about 2 months trying to learn as much as I could from all of your postings and thought it was time to say hi.

I am into fishing, all kinds, and always have been. Fly fish, tie my own flies, also like to walk along the beach with a spinning rod and pick and any little spot that looks like it could hold fish, and over the past 3 years have really gotten into kayak fishing in the bays and ocean along NJ coast.

I have always wanted to make my own plugs and had used a lathe many years ago, so this christmas i dropped the the bomb on the wife on what my gift should be. Yea, you guys know that look (a what! and for what?)...

Well, I have been in the man cave (my shed) for the past several weeks with my new best friend, a Jet Mini, making fire wood (taking every scrap of wood i have and practicing turning). What a blast, even had my 17yr old daughter out there last weekend and she did great!

Last week got my order from Salty's (some hooks, drill bit, plug building supply kit, and a couple pieces of good wood to use when my skills are up to it)

I also wanted to thank all of you for the postings, some very informative information. Things like, start with one plug (not a diver) and get really good at it, it is the action that is most important, don't get all hung up in making the paint perfect in the beginning.... Along with the great advice on the various steps and products that work and don't work.

So, now for the plan. I think I am going to work on the Danny plug 1st. I assume I should make one, seal it, get the hooks and weights in and then swim it to see if i need to make changes?

By the way, thanks for all the warnings on the fire hazards, I am good and nervous now which is a good thing.

Thanks much
Hookset

Hookedagain
01-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Sounds like a plug building addiction has begun. I started the same way and now I've converted my wood shop into a plug building shop. I am still not very good at it, but love practicing. So welcome to the site, and to plug building. Please post some pictures of what you're doing.

The Dad Fisherman
01-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Welcome aboard....lot of good guys on the board.

Sgt Striper
01-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Welcome aboard, if you will start with a Danny here is some good info for your first plug:http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/plug-building-got-wood/67484-older-bm-dannys.html

btw, you picked a great site here, very knowledgable group of builders always willing to help! They won't steer you wrong.

Swimmer
01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
There is no doubt this is the place to learn. Good morning.

Nebe
01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Welcome!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slipknot
01-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the site
have fun with your addiction
you seem to be going about it with a good plan :btu:

Ryan560
01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
You came to the right place! Welcome and enjoy your new hobby

Hookset
01-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Hookedagain, will be in the shed again Sunday and have some pictures to post for sure!

Sgt Striper, thanks for the link, just printed it out for reading tonight.

Striperknight
01-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Welcome.:buds:

chefchris401
01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Welcome to the site!!

The best part apart this site is the open sharing on info. Ive learned so much from the threads and others peoples questions. Info is exchanged freely and not kept so secret.

It's a great bunch of guys here, everyone I've met has been top notch!!

Please post some pics an ask away.

Also check out the stickies, lots of killer info there too.

Muskyslayer96
01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the wonderful madness :)

MS

numbskull
01-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi

O.D. Mike
01-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Welcome Hookset!

UserRemoved1
01-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Hookset :wave:

Hookset
01-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Ok, 1st few questions:

I have Lindseed Oil, not Boiled Lindseed Oil, can I still use it?

I have a 2x2 piece of pine with no knotts to practice with tomorrow. I don't see anyone using pine, too soft?

Hookset

O.D. Mike
01-16-2011, 01:29 AM
To start I have turned plugs with pine and not sealed the plugs until the finished product. Just to make sure that they would work... After we have proven that they work catching, I would then seal them.

Spar urethane, dunk, let dry, then prime... In Mass buy by the quart, you don't want to deal with VOX!

Hookset
01-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Great, thanks!
Hookset

blondterror
01-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Hi Hookset-

Welcome... you may want to go to Plugfest... great day to meet plug builders and share ideas.... coming up in Feb in SE mass... check out the posts in this forum...

Chris

Hookset
01-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I am thinking about plugfest. May be tough though, kids are pretty active and for the next few years I am on the run with them.

saltydog
01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
WELCOME, YOUR one STEP ahead of me already you got a LATH:drool: Take them along. I got a couple of plugs they can have NO-HOOKS-IN'EM they can toss'em an play/w
GOOD LUCK GOOD BUILDIN:uhuh:

Hookset
01-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Well, here is the progress so far!

Some of my challenges, right thickness, getting holes in the center, cutting the lip slot straight, getting the right sized hole for the insterts.

This is a blast

more pics up next

Hookset
01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
more pics, how do I fill the lip slot (or do I?)

chefchris401
01-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Some guys prefer the filled lip slot others don't. I don't personally do it. One more step I don't think you need.

seabuggy
01-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the site. These guy are great, I have learned a lot from them. I find it easier to drill for hooks, weights, etc. before the square ends are removed, providing the blank is truly square before you start turning. Good Luck

Hookset
01-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Well, sitting here watching Verses with wood savings on my shirt and pants, enjoying my 1st beer, and a smile on my face. Made 2 Danny's, at least to the point of having them drying from the sealer. 1st is out of pine and the second is out of an oak bansiter, probably will ride low since the oak is pretty heavy wood.
Tomorrow, will paint. I have 4 cans of rustoleum, black-white-yellow-red.

I guess the next steps after that are to glue the weight in and install hardware.

Can't wait to see how they swim!

Hookset

Hookset
01-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Ok, last pic of the day, sign of a successfull day, two labs hanging out with dad after building some plugs together