View Full Version : Trolling Swimmers and Masterlure Snook

blondterror
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I saw that Paul made a few GTS 3 3/4 plugs and some supersized ones as well last winter. I made 2 of slightly different length and diameters and used A40 lips ... I had some flat ones that I bent in my metal vice.

First time I have used brown on a plug... VB said he has had great results with his GTS in brown.... my color is darker than I wanted... look like S*** brown to me... but if it catches 40 inchers I will learn to love it

The 6' snook is a copy of a Masterlure plug... I used a Pikie 2 lip and no weight in any of these 3 plugs.

All made in AYC

blondterror
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
a few more pics

Ryan560
01-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Wow stuff looks great! Your a plug building machine..

I have a couple of GTS-3 plugs, one of which was in horrible shape and had been repainted I sanded the bottom of it looking for weight..Turns out there was none. Looks to be sugar pine. I also noticed the tail is skinnier on one than the other? Maybe he made 2 different versions?? Sorry not trying to hijack your thread

Muskyslayer96
01-15-2011, 07:36 AM
BT,

Really nice!
I could see a giant Muskie nibbling on a couple of those.

Nice work,

MS

chefchris401
01-15-2011, 09:44 AM
You've been staying busy man!!

I've done well on brown plugs especially in the spring on mussel beds, think baby tautog, Striper candy.

I think you'll have all your bases covered come spring.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

numbskull
01-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Is your line tie center on the big Gibbs?

It looks like you may have used a standard pikie 3 lip with a high line tie that would have brought the wire out above center. Using a standard high slot pikie 3 lip and mounting it lower changes the plug as well, since the lip hangs lower. If you use a stock Pikie 3 lip for these plugs I think you will need to cut a lower line slot.

The key to these plugs is that they were built for stability while trolling, which is why they are center drilled, torpedo shaped, and carry such a high lip.

Ooopps, I looked at the picture and didn't read your post. See that you bent your own lips. Was going to delete, but decided to leave what I said for the benefit of anyone else copying the plug.

blondterror
01-15-2011, 11:41 AM
George-

You are correct... My tie line is too high.. this means they will dive deeper but will not be stable.. I will make some more with center drilled (easier connecting on a 10" plug))

Thanks for clarifying..

BT