View Full Version : The Nebe challenge.

Nebe
01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Ok who I in???
The Nebe challenge is all about catch and release. Kill and keep ONLY the fish you know won't make it- gut hooked for example.

Next season I pledge to release all the striped bass I can...

Who else will pledge this?? :rtfm:

tattoobob
01-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm in :love:

rphud
01-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Already there and will continue to do so.

bart
01-16-2011, 04:21 PM
if i fish then yes...

Nebe
01-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Excellent!! Who else is in???
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

likwid
01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
This is how I roll.

spence
01-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Assuming I get out to fish I'll probably keep the first one...but considering how few bass I've managed to kill over the years I don't think it's an issue.

-spence

Nebe
01-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Assuming I get out to fish I'll probably keep the first one...but considering how few bass I've managed to kill over the years I don't think it's an issue.

-spence

Sounds like you are not in.

spence
01-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Sounds like you are not in.
NOT IN.

Unless I don't fish or don't catch any keepers.

In that case I'm MOST DEFINITELY IN.

:rotf2:

-spence

JohnR
01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm at 99% release anyway. Have been forever.

Rob Rockcrawler
01-16-2011, 08:09 PM
IM 99% release as well. But i cant be "In" on this one. Just in case i catch a supa cow for the cup.

afterhours
01-16-2011, 08:26 PM
that's my m/o...:)

capecodkid
01-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Been doing that the past 2 seasons anyway but, I'm in..:)

BigBo
01-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Not in. I keep one or two per year.

ivanputski
01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Everything in moderation...

piemma
01-17-2011, 04:19 AM
I caught well over 200 legal fish last year. I kept 2. I believe that's 1%.
I will continue this year being a "1%er".

UserRemoved
01-17-2011, 05:12 AM
I take one fish every so often. Sorry but it's food on my table. Maybe once every year or every two years. I'm catch and release every day nebe. I fish 100% barbless on all but tuna species. I'm with paul on that.

Rmarsh
01-17-2011, 07:00 AM
I appeciate your efforts to conserve but I will be keeping a half dozen or so fish each season for my family to enjoy. I catch and release scores of fish every year. I would feel foolish to release fish and then go to a fish market and pay ridiculous high prices for it.

fishpoopoo
01-17-2011, 07:35 AM
haven't killed a striper in a long time. :love:

Plum Crazy
01-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Definately not in. I enjoy eating striped bass.
Last year I did however release way more fish than ever and for some reason I enjoyed releasing them. I will release more this year but no way will I release all. Sorry Nebe

johnny ducketts
01-17-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm in I really don't catch anything anyways so the fish are safe.

slow eddie
01-17-2011, 08:56 AM
sorry nebe. i also keep a few for the table.
baked bass with portague stuffing. oven roasted spuds. nice salad and a good bottle of chard.
doesn't get any better with clothes on.

Rockfish9
01-17-2011, 09:24 AM
In..

Nebe
01-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Just to clarify people- this isn't about 100% catch and release. It allows you to keep fish that are not gonna make it.

robc22
01-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Nope.........

emgred
01-17-2011, 09:55 AM
ZERO kept in 2010; though the large yellow eyed devil that had the nerve to CHOMP on my Fixter Pikie tempted me greatly!

RIROCKHOUND
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM
I will keep my 3-4/year. Most will be gut hooked/dying, but some may not.

Saltheart
01-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Catch and Release :btu:

Pete F.
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I keep one or two fish per year, just so my wife really believes I'm fishing and don't have a girlfriend.

denis
01-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Been doing that for a long time.

Also agree with Lee Wolf.

chefchris401
01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm in. Pretty much what I do every year.

Broke my personal best numerous times last year and all released.

Kept two fish, both of which wouldn't have made it.

Someone has a sig that says something about Practicing CPR, catch, photograph and release.

l.i.fish.in.vt
01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
don't know how often or how many fish some of you catch,but i know what i catch and kill accidently is a lot more than a few fish a year. i fish mainly wooden plugs,crush the barbs and never use a treble in the back.every season i have a good number of fish inhale my plugs to the point of no return. i also fool hook a good number of fish in the gills,often the rear hook will rip a good chunk out of the side.i know bass are pretty hardie,by the scarred ones i have caught,but if i really thougth the bass were in trouble i wouldn't fish for them peroid.so i guess i am not in

Adam_777
01-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Not in.If I'm lucky I'll keep 1 or 2 every 3-4 years.Maybe if I stumble upon one I'll keep it.Most likely I will catch none like usual.I'm more of a trying to fish man rather than a fisherman.I try and usually fail miserably and persistently.Stripers wish most fisherman were like me.

BassDawg
01-17-2011, 04:27 PM
i refuse to respond,,,,,,,,

on the grounds that my answer may incriminate me!
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Raven
01-17-2011, 05:52 PM
this would be a good thread for the bladder puncture technique
for releasing fish with an inflated bladder

BigBo
01-17-2011, 07:07 PM
this would be a good thread for the bladder puncture technique
for releasing fish with an inflated bladder
When was the last time you caught a Striper with an inflated bladder?:smash:

I'll admit my bladder was pretty inflated after drowning my sorrows in my beers last night. :wall:

striperman36
01-17-2011, 07:08 PM

I'll admit my bladder was pretty inflated after drowning my sorrows in my beers last night. :wall:

But I ain't gonna puncture my bladder.

Slipknot
01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Ok who I in???
The Nebe challenge is all about catch and release. Kill and keep ONLY the fish you know won't make it- gut hooked for example.

Next season I pledge to release all the striped bass I can...

Who else will pledge this?? :rtfm:

I'll kill sea bass if legal and I want some so I can't be in

I released all but one striper last year
I don't need any challenge to be conservative

BigFish
01-18-2011, 12:09 AM
I know the ones I am going to keep are not going to make it!!:drool::drool:

Eben I keep maybe 6-8 fish a season as I do enjoy eating it very much. None goes to waste I can tell you that. I have nothing but a healthy respect for the fishery and do my best to preserve it.:uhuh:

animal
01-18-2011, 04:07 AM
Yeah,uhm,I haven't kept any bass for myself,or others, for a couple years.Plus I don't fish tournaments.So,I guess I'm still not in,since I MAY fish commercially for them this year.We'll see.:smash:

Raven
01-18-2011, 05:13 AM

you don't sleep well on a belly full of beer, more like pass out until sober

hardest or i should say slowest thing to digest is beer

i snore like a wild boar on just ONE.... :uhuh:
~
maybe his/her bladder wasn't inflated but watching it float down the bass river because legally it had to be released at 27 inches long
bothered the heck out of me as i watched a sea gull land on it and begin the feast.... but regulations must be followed
~
there's nothing like a huge catfish head opening and closing its mouth on the kitchen counter as you fillet the body

tlapinski
01-18-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm not in. I keep fish for a few tournaments each year as well as a few for friends and family. Can't even begin to guess at how many "legal" fish I caught last year, but I kept 9 or 10.

What are you trying to achieve or accomplish by this challenge?

Nebe
01-18-2011, 09:05 AM
What are you trying to achieve or accomplish by this challenge?
A greater awareness for conservation.

Jackbass
01-18-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm in I never keep fish. So it would be pretty much standard practice for me.

tlapinski
01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
A greater awareness for conservation.

Ok, I didn't know there was a lack of awareness in general. Still not buying into the whole "the sky is falling" mindset that is going around the last few seasons, but it doesn't mean we should abuse the resource.

Nebe
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Ok, I didn't know there was a lack of awareness in general. Still not buying into the whole "the sky is falling" mindset that is going around the last few seasons, but it doesn't mean we should abuse the resource.

Check the yoty index lately? Have you fished for schoolies in matunuck lately?? This is what I have been worried about. The stage is set for another collapse.

The Dad Fisherman
01-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Sorry Dude.....I like to keep a couple a season.....pretty much the 1st keeper I get every year is going to the grill.

that being said I do release the majority of what I keep.

tlapinski
01-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Check the yoty index lately? Have you fished for schoolies in matunuck lately?? This is what I have been worried about. The stage is set for another collapse.

I have not seen the YOTY #'s in a while. I can say, however, that my #'s were up once again this past year. Plenty of small fish, medium fish and large fish caught in CT and RI for me. I myself have not seen or experienced the impending doom others have called out. While this doesn't mean we may not be headng that way, it also doesn't mean all is well either. It simply means I have not yet seen any hints of the wolf on my door.

I am all for protecting the resource and making sure we do not repeat the mistakes of those that came before us, please don't think I am in favor of any sort of wasteful actions by myself or others. I just wasn't sure where you were going with this thread. Better results would come of taking action to change to laws on harvesting than would come of getting 20 people to say in a thread that they will not kill any bass other than those they know will not survive. In reality, killing any bass is harmful and the best way to help is to not fish at all. We all know that isn't happening any time soon though as I would be the first one knocking down the door of the looney bin if I was to give up surf fishing. :jump1::buds:

robc22
01-18-2011, 11:37 AM

The sky is always falling somewhere......give ASMFC a chance and see what happens........I think there will be striper's around for a LONG,LONG time to come..........

Blitzseeker
01-18-2011, 11:48 AM
I guess, by your rules, I am not in.

I probably keep one fish every three years...about half the time it is a gill bleeder that ain't gonna make it, the other half of the time it is a nice, new personal best type fish that I plan to weigh and eat. That second category is declining over time, as unlike lots of sharpies on this board I'm not catching 40lb bass or larger from the shore on a regular basis.

In the interim I release many, many legal fish....I've gone two full seasons in a row releasing every fish I catch.

In the end, everyone has to be able to look in the mirror and feel like what they do is right for them. I'm comfortable that keeping one fish every three years or so won't leave the blood of a declining fishery on my hands.

vineyardblues
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
After paying for both a freshWater and Saltwater license , I am out :fishin:

VB

justplugit
01-18-2011, 12:10 PM
In, my MO.

From what I've seen, most of the guys here are conservation minded.
Problems lie with the meat guys outside S/B. :(

JLH
01-18-2011, 12:27 PM
I’m out but will continue to release the majority of my fish. I think I kept about a fish a month last season and will probably keep around that number this year as well.

JackK
01-18-2011, 12:31 PM
I think it would be more of a challenge if you had to eat every bass you caught in a season. Now that would be tough.

Raven
01-18-2011, 02:10 PM
the end is categorized by Saturation of toxins
more than the environment can tolerate and they are accumulative
same as in the human body....
frogs and toads are the canary in the coal mine

Jimmy Fee
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I've been strictly catch and release on stripers since I was 16. I can count on one hand the number of bass I've taken since then, and all of those were ones that wouldn't come back after my best efforts to let them go.

It's pretty awesome watching a big fish swim away into the darkness.

Nebe
01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I've been strictly catch and release on stripers since I was 16. I can count on one hand the number of bass I've taken since then, and all of those were ones that wouldn't come back after my best efforts to let them go.

It's pretty awesome watching a big fish swim away into the darkness.

:claps: