View Full Version : Learning curve

Hookset
01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Well, thought I would start a new thread on beginning to learn to build plugs. Today I began to paint the Danny's. One is pine from a 2x2 and the other I made from leftover wood from an oak hand rail. The pine takes paint fantastic, the oak doesnt want to hold the paint in the grain.

The other picture... I decided to use the other Oak to play around with two small 4 1/2" swimmers and one 5" needle. I drilled out the butt of the needle for a weight and drilled close to the front for the weight on the swimmers. should be interesting to experiment with these.

back to the real world and work tomorrow.

Hookset.

ProfessorM
01-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Look good. Don't forget to enjoy the process and don't be too hard on yourself if you make a mistake. I constantly make them. It's all fun.

numbskull
01-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Oak is a heavy open pored wood that is hard to use for plug building. Can work with diving plugs but may be sluggish for a surface plug and won't carry much weight before it sinks.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 2x2, but if you are talking about dimensional home building lumber, that is usually spruce or fir (not pine) I think.

Check out Mikes or Salty's. Both sell dimensioned woods that may work better for you. Alternatively, find a hardwood dealer, buy a plank, and slice it up yourself.

Sgt Striper
01-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Don't know were in Jersey you are but I think a trip to Medford Cedar for some AYC and Red Cedar would be a good idea.

Lower
01-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Your off to a great start! If you have the wood, might as well use it to get the hang of things, but as others have said you might want to grab some cedar if possible. You really appreciate the difference. Anyway...keep it up and enjoy the time.

Hookset
01-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I have two pieces of cedar from Salty's. You are going to laugh, but I am afraid to use it until my skills are worthy! I think I am just about there through, may have to give it a try!
Hookset

O.D. Mike
01-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I have two pieces of cedar from Salty's. You are going to laugh, but I am afraid to use it until my skills are worthy! I think I am just about there through, may have to give it a try!
Hookset

When I first started turning I found wood dowels in the trash, broom sticks and wood railings, tried to keep it cheap while I learned. One day a friend of mine intruduced me to a guy that owned a mill. $20 bucks = 100+ 10" blanks of pine. Some knots, just cut around them. Pine is easy to turn, sand and doesn't beat up the bowl gouges.

Google "wood mills"
I found more than one in my area.

Blond Terror gave me two blanks of AYC and I haven't used the yet. Can't make up my mind what to turn....:smash:

Hope this helps....
Mike