View Full Version : tomcod question.

goosefish
01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
When I was an oyster farmer (RI) we used to get tomcod in with our oyster gear. Beautiful looking fish. We'd see them more in the dead of winter. I don't think they leave the salt marsh but I have no idea where they go in the summer. Does anyone here go after them? I might write a little story about them. Clammer has to have a story about tommy cod.

Clammer
01-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I have quite a few But like SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many fisheries ............. BACK IN THE DAY ><><> :rotf2:

Her,s one ;

Middle of winter ...I took a friend to a place to winter fish / at the time I had a place to dug all the clamworms i wanted .so that was a big advantage .

we fished in the snow & we caught well / so well we just kept throwing them in the snow .

when we were done / we got whayever we were driving @ the time / threw them in a bucket / mixed in snow .. to my surprize they were still somewhat alive . they didn,t seen to have the endurance of tautog .

after a 1 hour ride we get back to his house .he said too many for me & he called his future mother-inlaw & asked if she wanted some fresh fish .

fresh fish to a old Italian / no brainer ,

I told him I would drop them off cuz she was on my way ////////////////// I knocked on the door / she answered 7 was thrilled / I asked where I caould put tjem for her ..........she said[ oh just in the sink]

weeeeeeeeeeel went I did they were still alive / I turned the cold water on & they started to swim . cool / now I have a sink of swimming tomcod .....she sees it & goes nuts .starts yelling 2 me in Italian / I have no dead what she was saying but I told her I couldn,t kill these poor little fish & ran out the door .

a few hours later I get a call from my friend / he pissed /but laughing ...........ya know he had to go over & take care of business ;;;:uhuh::uhuh:

flyvice11787
01-18-2011, 03:20 PM
I miss tommycod. Haven't caught 1 in close to 20 years :(.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

robc22
01-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I caught many tommycod as a child.....are they still there??....nobody tries so nobody knows!!??.......

goosefish
01-18-2011, 05:19 PM
The fish of our youth. Winter comes.

robc22
01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
The fish of our youth. Winter comes.

Goose....the dented bucket is good stuff......keep it up........

niko
01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
i catch them up in maine on smelt trips. not a ton of them but every trip. they must be spawning that time of year as they are full of babyjuice

goosefish
01-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks Rob. I'll take every reader I can get.

robc22
01-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks Rob. I'll take every reader I can get.

Goose...I bull raked quahogs, pumped steamers and dragged for bay scallops.....that way of life will be gone forever soon......like watching an endangered species pass........Your documentation preserves the life.....

robc22

Raider Ronnie
01-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Guys on my dock were catching small ones while smelt fishing at our marina this past fall.

RIROCKHOUND
01-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Have you tried fishing for them in the upper pond?
Just curious...

choggieman
01-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I have pictures of my family ice fishing on a cove off the thames river catching tom cod, catching them on tip-ups.......early 80s

Clammer
01-19-2011, 08:24 PM
bACK IN THE DAY ><><><:fishin: