View Full Version : baby fluke pattern for bass

bassbudda
04-04-2003, 08:14 AM
I'm looking for a pattern, possibly w/ pics. for a baby fluke pattern. We discussed taking Del's permit crab and cutting off the legs or tying it without the legs as an alternative. Any other ideas?
Any insights on how to fish this particular pattern would be appreciated

saltydog
04-04-2003, 08:04 PM
BassBudda, how about a deerhair one.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":happy: :happy: :happy:

hooked
04-04-2003, 09:24 PM
The FFSW site has instructions for a baby flounder pattern.

http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/fly_flounder_around.htm

http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/images/2003%20Features/Flouder%20Around/flounder11.jpg

bassbudda
04-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Tks, Hooked- Pulled the pattern down, time to get the foam out. Have you used it???

SALTY DOG, TKS FOR THE PIC, IT LOOKS GREAT, I NEGLECTED TO ASK FOR INSTRUCTIONS/ DESTRUCTIONS. PLS? HAVE YOU FISHED IT AS WELL?

:D

Notaro
04-07-2003, 02:32 PM
is that a fly pattern?

hooked
04-07-2003, 03:01 PM
I'm short on a couple of the required materials, but I'll probably restock and give tying one a shot fairly soon.

I figure it would be a good pattern to use on the flats and in some of the estuaries I visit. I've seen plenty of the real thing while wading.

As far as fishing technique, I've read that this pattern is more geared to sight fishing. Cast it out in front, jerk it off the bottom so that it causes a disturbance, but let it drop and sit while the bass dial in on it so that it appears more natural.

Seems like it could work. Only one way to find out...

bassbudda
04-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by hooked
I'm short on a couple of the required materials, but I'll probably restock and give tying one a shot fairly soon.

I figure it would be a good pattern to use on the flats and in some of the estuaries I visit. I've seen plenty of the real thing while wading.

As far as fishing technique, I've read that this pattern is more geared to sight fishing. Cast it out in front, jerk it off the bottom so that it causes a disturbance, but let it drop and sit while the bass dial in on it so that it appears more natural.

Seems like it could work. Only one way to find out...

bassbudda
04-08-2003, 11:24 AM
HOOKED: THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT. HERE'S MY TAKE ON TYING THE PATTERN:

REMEMBER I'M A LEFTY- THE PATTERN IS NOT DIFFICULT TO TIE,JUST A LITTLE TIME CONSUMING. I FOUND IT IS EASIER TO DRAW A FEW FLUKE SHAPES ON PAPER FIRST FOR SIZE- LENGTH, SHAPE, ETC. CUT THEM OUT. LAY THEM ON TOP OF THE FOAM AND TRACE AROUND THEM. THEN CUT THEM OUT. FROM THERE ON IT'S ALL DOWN HILL EXCEPT FOR THE DRYING TIME.