View Full Version : Ice Fishing

RI Plugger
01-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Looking to get started ice fishing in RI.

I got the basics, Tip up's, hand auger, need to know where to buy bait in SOCO.

also what pound test line for the tip up's.

I don't even know what i don't know.

If anyone is going fishing I would like to come along.

Thanks for any advice.

WESTPORTMAFIA
01-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Check out iceshanty.com

tynan19
01-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Grab some dark colored 30 lb dacron for the main line. Attach a micro swivel. Attach your leader to this. I like 6 lb fluro. Leader length up to you but I generally use 3 to 4 ft. Attach hook about size 4 to 6 . A couple BB shot about 6 - 8 inches above hook. Use shiners size depending on your quarry. I generally use med to med heavy. Start out with some known fishy waters. The same place you can catch a lot of bass, perch and pickerel in the summer should provide good action in the winter. Also vary your depth to find what works. Look for structure, points, weeds, rockpiles. Fish different depths off these to see what works.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Kierran
01-26-2011, 11:47 PM
There's a tournament on Wakefield Pond this Saturday. It might be worth stopping by if it's not too far for you. You can learn a lot by watching and talking to guys in the know. Searching and reading on the forum mentioned above is a good idea too. Good luck!

STREETFIGHT
01-27-2011, 10:06 AM
breachway bait in c'town had shiners and wax worms a week ago. not sure how much advice he can give you as they not really into ice fishing but he usualy does have bait. his winter hours are like 7-2.

FishermanTim
01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
The 'shanty site has forums for individual states, so you may have luck checking there for local bait suppliers.
(There are quite a few S-B persons that ice fish as well, so to coin a phrase from the movie "My Blue Heaven" : "You're not alone. You're REALLY not alone!"

Good luck and be safe on the ice!