View Full Version : Use the right tool!

basswipe
01-29-2011, 09:23 AM
On occasion I don't always have the right tool for the job and the simplest task becomes a complete project which in turn leads me to have a complete meltdown.

Not today dammit!!!

Needed to remove a junk battery from the car.Open the hood looked and knew that if I attempted to remove it with just the 12mm wrench in my hand that I would end up with bloody knuckles,a battery still in the car and me having a meltdown.

Before I even made an attempt I stopped and went to the store for the proper tool.Of course I ended up with a complete new set of SAE and Metric sockets,a new ratchet and a set of 4 extensions.

To make a long story a little shorter it took me 2 seconds instead of 2 hours(and a meltdown) to remove the battery.

So this is an "anti-grump".

The moral of this story:

USE THE RIGHT TOOL!!!

striperman36
01-29-2011, 09:26 AM
HarborFreight isn't that far away from you.

Raven
01-29-2011, 12:22 PM
if the battery is being replaced or not and "IF"
it doesn't have a handle....

you can CONNECT a large Vice grip across the battery
on just one post and now ........you have a handle

basswipe
01-29-2011, 01:28 PM
HarborFreight isn't that far away from you.

That's where I went.Handtools guaranteed for life and with 20% off coupon you can't go wrong.

striperman36
01-29-2011, 02:22 PM
ohhh, I gotta get me that . need to get some stuff.

Raider Ronnie
01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
To make a long story a little shorter it took me 2 seconds instead of 2 hours(and a meltdown) to remove the battery.

You saying in the past it took you 2 hrs to change a battery ?

FishermanTim
01-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Remember that any tool can be a hammer, and every toolbox needs the handyman's secret weapon.....duct tape! - Red Green

HighTide
01-31-2011, 11:35 AM
I gotta get to Harbor Freight- I need a compressor.

basswipe
01-31-2011, 05:52 PM

You saying in the past it took you 2 hrs to change a battery ?

No,but it can take longer than it should've to complete a particular project if you don't have the right tool.And I ain't no mechanic and its a Hyundai,try working on one someday.

I've been painting houses for 20+yrs so here's a great analogy:
I have an entire house to paint.Clap on all four sides but instead of using a nice 4" siding brush I do it with a 1/2" sash brush.The 4"er would be the RIGHT tool.

Raider Ronnie
01-31-2011, 06:20 PM
No,but it can take longer than it should've to complete a particular project if you don't have the right tool.And I ain't no mechanic and its a Hyundai,try working on one someday.

I've been painting houses for 20+yrs so here's a great analogy:
I have an entire house to paint.Clap on all four sides but instead of using a nice 4" siding brush I do it with a 1/2" sash brush.The 4"er would be the RIGHT tool.

"its a Hyundai,try working on one someday."

I've got one up on my frame machine now since friday hit pretty hard on the right rear side. Replaced a right rear inner & outer qtr panels, rear door, repairing front door and replaced all right rear suspension parts :rolleyes: No big deal for me ! :grins:
Some may laugh but Hyundai has come a LONG way from their beginnings and make a great car for the $
Far better car and any American piece of crap !

basswipe
02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
"its a Hyundai,try working on one someday."

I've got one up on my frame machine now since friday hit pretty hard on the right rear side. Replaced a right rear inner & outer qtr panels, rear door, repairing front door and replaced all right rear suspension parts :rolleyes: No big deal for me ! :grins:
Some may laugh but Hyundai has come a LONG way from their beginnings and make a great car for the $
Far better car and any American piece of crap !

Lucky you dude.The rest of us don't have that luxury of having a frame machine or being a professional mechanic.

Hyundai has come a long way my ass.

The 2002 Elantra that I unfortunately own has the very worst front end crash rating of any car in its class for that model year.$3700 worth a parts for an accident that happened at 1.5mph.Couldn't believe the insurance company didn't total it.

Healight burns out.Headlight bulb replacement requires the complete removal of the entire assembly.There is no access to the bulb from within the engine compartment.An after-market replacement lamp is $29.

Battery sh!ts the bed.New battery goes for $90.Thank god for Walmart it cost me only $65.

With all the problems that I've had with this car I've spent almost as much in repairs(other than the 1.5mph accident!) than I paid for the car new.Head gasket,intake manifold gasket,wheel bearings and a ton of other crap that I could publish a novel with.

Simply put Huyndai cars sell cheap...they get you on parts and repairs.In fact they're the most expensive of the so called "budget" cars to repair bar none.The latest model years for Hyundai are one of the most expensive cars to repair and maintain.

Man did you bark up the wrong tree trying to tout Hyudai as being someting quality.I can't even a pay someone to steal mine and burn it and I grew up with people that did that sh!t for a sixpack.

If you can't tell so far...I think Hyundai sucks a$$.

striperman36
02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Don't even talk to me about cheep until you own a Jeep

Raider Ronnie
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Lucky you dude.The rest of us don't have that luxury of having a frame machine or being a professional mechanic.

Hyundai has come a long way my ass.

The 2002 Elantra that I unfortunately own has the very worst front end crash rating of any car in its class for that model year.$3700 worth a parts for an accident that happened at 1.5mph.Couldn't believe the insurance company didn't total it.

Healight burns out.Headlight bulb replacement requires the complete removal of the entire assembly.There is no access to the bulb from within the engine compartment.An after-market replacement lamp is $29.

Battery sh!ts the bed.New battery goes for $90.Thank god for Walmart it cost me only $65.

With all the problems that I've had with this car I've spent almost as much in repairs(other than the 1.5mph accident!) than I paid for the car new.Head gasket,intake manifold gasket,wheel bearings and a ton of other crap that I could publish a novel with.

Simply put Huyndai cars sell cheap...they get you on parts and repairs.In fact they're the most expensive of the so called "budget" cars to repair bar none.The latest model years for Hyundai are one of the most expensive cars to repair and maintain.

Man did you bark up the wrong tree trying to tout Hyudai as being someting quality.I can't even a pay someone to steal mine and burn it and I grew up with people that did that sh!t for a sixpack.

If you can't tell so far...I think Hyundai sucks a$$.

As I said, they have come a LONG way. Their quality now far surpasses any piece of crap american car.
Your driving a 2002, not exactly a newer current model. (close to 10 years is asking a lot out of any car battery)
Their assembly plants are some of the most technically advanced going (look it up, it's been well documented in the industry)

basswipe
02-02-2011, 06:20 PM
As I said, they have come a LONG way. Their quality now far surpasses any piece of crap american car.
Your driving a 2002, not exactly a newer current model. (close to 10 years is asking a lot out of any car battery)
Their assembly plants are some of the most technically advanced going (look it up, it's been well documented in the industry)

And as I've said Hyundai has come nowhere.Their quality surpasses nothing as they're the most expensive car on the planet to work on (other than a German made luxury)and the most recent '11 models are no exception.

As far as your digs on American cars goes...are you living on another planet?The only thing better than an American car right now is a Toyota even after the so called "recalls".The most recalled cars on this planet are Ford and HYUNDAI!

Technological advanced assembly plants mean nothing if you're producing disposable cars which is in fact exactly what Hyundai makes.

It would appear you work for a Hyundai dealership?If so please don't blow smoke up my ass.I was born...just not yesterday.

Btw I have an 03 Corolla and an 04 Tacoma in the driveway sitting along with that pos Elantra.The only things I've EVER done to my Yotas' are change the oil and replace the brake pads ONCE.Every single human I've ever met that owns a Hyundai does nothing but repair it.

Like I said Ronnie ya barked up the wrong tree.Making sh!t smell like roses doesn't change the fact that the sh!t is still sh!t.

Raider Ronnie
02-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Again. I said " they have come a LONG way"
If you really want to know I work at an independent auto body shop (no dealer)
We work on every car/truck on the road.
You paint. I assume residential & or commercial interior & exterior
I fix them, all of the, have since the 1970s
I remember in the early 70 when we used to laugh at Datsun & Toyota.
America is not laughing now !
Also show me a Toyota that is affordable like Hyundai or Kia !

thefishingfreak
02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
American cars are a joke. Go to the mall parking lot and see for yourself. How many newer GM's still have there paint? How many fords still have there rocker panels? How many dodge trucks still have the bottoms of there doors? Do ford trucks still have there bedside wheelhouses? American car manufactures don't give a crap. Make a 4 year piece of crap and on to the next one. Why people remain loyal to them is beyond me?
Foriegn manufacturers learn from the past. American cars turn a blind eye.
I got a 2011 SHO Taurus here that's barely hit. So far it's up over 14 grand to put this plastic crapbox back together. Only an American car would make the airbags mounted from below so they blow the dashboard and windshield to smitherines. They will never learn. Why not make the airbags in seperate modules like foriegn cars? What's going to happen when this car has 75000 miles on it and suffers this kind of light hit?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/e1329522.jpg
There making cars to last untill the loan is paid off and that's it.
Look at a mirror on most toyotas. They come painted for a resonable price. Gm's come in pieces, paint to match, for rediculous prices. Those kool extending mirrors on the ford trucks... 950.00 bucks.
They make crap and there loyal followers will never learn.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

likwid
02-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Look at the whole line of American cars!

Freaking corvette is a piece of molded plastic BS! Fake intakes on the hood, fake plastic windows to look at the engine! Look at the rear end wrong and it'll probably crack and cost you 40k to replace.

All yours for 100k!

Caddilac's entry isn't much better (CTS-V?)
Really? It looks like a freaking boat.
Its ugly.
Nobody is going to buy that crap if they're in the large saloon market.

Taurus SHO is supposed to "compete" with foreign luxury sport sedans? Then why is the only option a sludge pump? No on the fly traction control settings? Probably doesn't have sport mode either. Oh yeah, its butt freaking ugly.

Back down to the bottom end, where are the hot hatches Europe has? You know, affordable rocketship 3 doors?

Howabout taco sized diesel pickups that the rest of the world has had, oh, FOREVER?

We don't need Utes however.
Nobody needs them.